Caribou Gear Tarp

Only One (or maybe two, or . . . . )

VikingsGuy

So, if you could only have one firearm for hunting, recreational shooting and personal defense, what would it be? What if you could have two? Or three? . . . . Here is my list by cartridge (bolt vs. semi-, semi- vs. pump, Browning vs. Tikka, Glock vs Sig, etc is not the point of this list). I look forward to seeing yours.

One firearm - 12ga shotgun [incredibly versatile - birds, squirrels, deer, black bear, clays, home defense and more - hard to think of a more utilitarian firearm]

Two firearms - 12ga + 280AI rifle [adding a rifle powerful enough to take down moose and elk, flat enough for sheep, pronghorn and even coyotes]

Three firearms - 12ga + 280AI + 10mmAuto pistol [adding a pistol big enough for hunting, woods carry, but with the right round will also work for personal defense and carry]

Four firearms - 12ga + 280AI + 22lr rifle + 10mmAuto [adding the .22lr - everybody needs a plinker]

Five firearms - 12ga + 280AI + 22-250 rifle + 22lr + 10mmAuto [adding a rifle better suited for varmints and predators]

Six firearms - 12ga + 338WinMag rifle + 280AI + 22-250 + 22lr + 10mmAuto [adding a boom stick for bison & big bear (almost went with 375H&H)]

Seven firearms - 12ga + 20ga shotgun + 338WinMag + 280AI + 22-250 + 22lr + 10mmAuto [adding lighter shotgun for grouse, quail, etc]

Eight firearms - 12ga + 20ga + 338WinMag + 280AI + 22-250 + 22lr + 10mmAuto + 9mmLuger pistol [adding a pistol with better in town carry options]

Nine firearms - 12ga + 20ga + 338WinMag + 280AI + 6.5cm rifle + 22-250 + 22lr + 10mmAuto + 9mmLuger [adding a rifle better suited for 1000yd targets]

Ten firearms - 12ga + 20ga + 338WinMag + 280AI + 6.5cm + 22-250 + .17hmr rifle + 22lr + 10mmAuto + 9mmLuger [adding a rimfire with a little more pop for varmints]

VikingsGuy, Given my “preferred” logistics, and as a handloader:

#1 - one firearm.....a medium-bore, high velocity capable rifle (in my case, my .375AI) easily effective to 800 + yards, which when using light-load cast bullets can be very effective for small game. Purpose - hunting and/or defense

#2 - two firearms..... a 12 gauge, pump shotgun (up close and personal) and the .375 AI - Hunting/defense

#3 - three firearms...... the above plus a good .22RF handgun, revolver or semi auto (assuming adequate supply of ammo) - Hunting/defense

All can be used for recreational shooting, anything more is merely “lagniappe”......Nothing else required! memtb

Let's see.

one firearm. My 6.5x55

two my 28ga SxS and my 6.5x55

three my 28ga SxS, 6.5x55 and my 9mm S&W shield

four all the above and let's see. Add my mod 783 Marlin 22 mag

five above and add my 32 long mod 16 S&W

six above and add my 30-06

Each one is in addition to the previous:
1- 12 gauge shotgun
2- .22lr
3- 30-06
4- .223
5- 9mm pistol
6 and beyond- any gauge shotgun or caliber of rifle to fit a specific game animal, such as 20 gauge for small game bird or a .375 H&H for dangerous game.

Looking at this list it's quite boring, but for someone new or unsure of what to add to the safe next, it might provide to be useful.

Each one is in addition to the previous:
1- 12 gauge shotgun
2- .22lr
3- 30-06
4- .223
5- 9mm pistol
6 and beyond- any gauge shotgun or caliber of rifle to fit a specific game animal, such as 20 gauge for small game bird or a .375 H&H for dangerous game.

Looking at this list it's quite boring, but for someone new or unsure of what to add to the safe next, it might provide to be useful.
That's pretty much how I started, with the except I started with .308Win for my thirty cal. Your list in order is a good starting point indeed.

That's pretty much how I started, with the except I started with .308Win for my thirty cal. Your list in order is a good starting point indeed.
I have since expanded my collection, specifically in the shotgun department. We have plenty of bird species to hunt around here...and who wants to use the same gun for all of them :)

Boy do we think alike.

1. 12ga pump
2. Add 10mm auto
3. Add .280AI
4. Add 222 Rem
5. Add .223AI
6. Add 6mm Rem
7. Add 6.5-06
8. Add 6BRX or Dasher
9. Add .308Win

With recreational shooting in the mix, I have to go with my Creed, or .260 as a definite.

If I could have only one with the emphasis on hunting medium to large game, it would be one of my 7 mags.

A .17 HMR would be another definite.

Several hand guns and shotguns to round it out.

Who the hell wants to limit firearms, anyway? Let's change it to only one gun safe, instead of one gun! :cool:

That's pretty much my meter. When it's too full to fit another one, I sell a few. [And then there is the safe up at the cabin :) - a little extra elbow room]
The last safe that I bought, I bought a small one to limit things. It is full and there are guns stacked beside it! It is just like getting a bigger shed. If there is room, you will fill it!

The last safe that I bought, I bought a small one to limit things. It is full and there are guns stacked beside it! It is just like getting a bigger shed. If there is room, you will fill it!
True. I thought I'd never fill that safe when I bought it. There's guns stashed all over the damn house now.

One: 12 gauge
Two: 12 gauge, .300 wm
Three: 12 gauge, .300 wm, 6.5 cm
Four: 12 gauge, .300 wm, 6.5 cm, 7mm08

Don't tell the wife but four is all I need! But I want and have more.

Minimum Requirements....
Gotta have two shottys....one for dove and one for Woody Harrelson.
Two center fires at minimum...a 25 bee and a & Super Vagnum Mashburn
Two Woody H pistols...a .357 minimum 6 wheel of Colt/Smith flavor (sorry VGuy but that's a natural law)...and a quality 1911 .45
...don't need no panzyazzed rimfire.

;)

Last edited:
I'd take a drilling, couple 12g barrels over a .30-06.

If you have to have only one gun Carl, that would work, Even a combination firearm 12gauge/30-06 would keep one from starving. If we can have two then a 12 gauge and a 300 H & H, which is funny because excluded handguns, this is probably the two I have used the most anyway in my adult life.

So, if you could only have...

Holy smokes! That's a whoop-load to ponder! Haha!
Specific to hunting.

1 firearm: 30-06
2 firearms: +20g semi
3 firearms: +.223/5.57
4 firearms: +12g OU
5 firearms: +.325 wsm
6 firearms: +.22 bolt?
7 firearms: +Sharps .50
8 firearms: + I don't rightly know... All the above cover everything excluding African leather to punch through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back