Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I've about had enough

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I know doing what we do comes with some of things that are not roses and butterflies. But, the last few years with the privacy invasions and burdens of film permit applications, I'm about ready to throw my hands in the air and say screw it; I'll just hunt where I don't need film permits.

A lot of people know that we are one of the few content producers that goes through the public land film permit process. Given how burdensome it is, I can see why compliance rates are so low.

Recently, there has been a big increase in people making requests for our film permit applications under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). Those applications required detailed plans of where we will be filming, when, a daily operating plan, maps, you name it.

Depending upon the office or agency, they may also require my SSN or other personal information. Now, via FOIA requests, most of my personal information is known by a handful of folks who have used that to compromise my accounts with game and fish agencies.

Here is the most recent FOIA request for our Wyoming hunts last year. No biggie. Not the first time, probably won't be the last.

In that request are documents that contain personal information. It also provides the name of the person making the request.

I reached out to the person who made the request and told them I'm happy to help answer any questions. They responded with a heated barrage of how I never responded to their email when they asked for help a few years back, how I blew him off, how (insert unhappiness here), and blah, blah, blah.

Roll forward a few weeks and I get a follow up email from this person about my Utah applications. One way they could get into someone's UT account is with the SSN and DOB of that applicant. Being the smart ass this guy is, he sent me the following email with information only known by accessing my Utah application history.

The guy has since sent me emails asking for more film permit information. Good luck with that pal.

This is not the first incident. My MT FWP account was almost public knowledge before they changed to a newer system. That seems to have helped in MT. Not sure what to do about UT.

The reason I posted this today is we are doing our 2019 film applications and even more detailed information has been requested that if obtained under a FOIA request, would be even more revealing of my personal information and some of the folks who are minority owner in our little enterprise. Given all of this, I'm about over the entire process of film permits and applying for such.

It is not so much the cost of $15-20K per year. I should pay for use of public resources.

It is the burdensome applications that will take one full-time person most of the summer to apply for these permits. It is the delays when understaffed agencies get into busy fire seasons and a film permit becomes a very low priority, with good reason. It is the restrictions of where we can be, what we can do, how we can do it, made even harder to swallow when those who do not apply for film permits (and there are many), film in Wilderness Areas, film anytime they want, where they want, etc.

It is the agency consolidations/budget cuts that result in numerous emails and phone calls being unreturned because they have not filled the position of the person responsible for permitting commercial activity, such as film permits. Hard to get a phone or email reply when there is no employee currently hired for that position. In the past we have burned tags because we could not get a film permit in time and the season came and went while we waited for a reply to our film permit request. Recently I started keeping email and phone call logs of my requests and if such were not returned we went on our hunt, and upon our return, I called the agency and asked where I send the money, being they still don't have a permitting employee on staff in that region/district/office.

If you wonder why we hunt/apply where we do, more and more of it is driven by film permit issues. Some of these agencies are great and when I explain to them why I don't want to provide certain information, they find a way to work around it. They are all understaffed and when a film permit comes in and they have a desk full of other higher priority permit requests, it is hard for them to make time for a permit that allows me and a camera guy to wander the hills with the rest of the hunters.

This country needs a FOIA. Not sure we need to treat small film crews like Hollywood film groups that result in film permit applications containing personal information that can be obtained via FOIA requests. What I don't need is the increasing number of jerks who use that as their way to find where we hunt or use it to compromise my personal accounts with game and fish agencies.

And to the anonymous ass that turned in a friend of twenty years for "illegal outfitting," because he tagged along on a hunt, I hope there is justice in this world. What a waste of officer time to investigate; almost embarrassing for the investigator. Nothing was provided other than some good laughs and chuckles about bad shots and failed stalks. Guess it was good that the friend paid for his own gas to/from the hunt. He did eat a few of our Hostess Donettes. And I did bum a cup of coffee from him each morning when he drove from his house to our motel to join up. If ever there was incentive for us to never ask any family or friends to join us on hunts and be exposed to that kind of headache, events like that are surely a good way to get us there.

Welcome to my world.

With all of that, it has been quite a winter for us. Sorry for the rant. If I'm not responsive to emails or PMs, it's because I'm gonna veg out for a few days.

Last edited:
So there are people so lazy and jealous that they put in for a FOIA request to find hunting spots? I hope those people fall down a ravine.
When I first starting reading this that was my guess followed by anti hunters. Not sure why we have to be our own worst enemy sometimes.

What a giant headache... and a nightmare of a situation with that low life.

Thanks for dealing with all this crap and producing a great show, and hours of content. I know I'm not the only one that enjoy's being able to come home from their day at work and flip on your content and relax.

As frustrating as it all is I think it's cool that you do things the right way. In the end you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it the right way and don't have to worry about looking over your shoulder while on a hunt, other than to avoid the scabs that are trying to follow you. Keep at it!

It always helps to get things off your chest, at least you are amongst friends on here!

From an outsiders point of view on filming permits, I don't think they should even exist, it makes no sense to me, the likes of your tv show and others help promote hunting/fishing and the state gets free 'advertising' to show what they have to offer, and visitors spend their hard earned visiting these states as a direct result of these tv shows, seems crazy to me.

Keep your chin up and carry on (please)

Cheers
Richard

Shit, what's the fine for cooking bison testicles on film? Unpermitted testicle festival?

Wasn't there a component of film permitting on public lands in S47? I thought I remember reading it in the text of the bill, but also remember not seeing the film crew of 5 or less language that has been in past bills.

Oh, the good dude at BLM made sure we had a film permit for that festival.

Is there a way to have a 3rd person party apply for a permit and allow you to do your thing with some semblance of anonymity?

Wow, didn't realize that this was something you were dealing with, what a joke! I think everyone is guilty of a little internet sleuthing now and again (i.e looking at the background in pics/videos, etc.), but you've got to be a total loser to go that much effort to to follow someone around. If this lowlife can access your account to see what you did and didn't draw, then presumably he could screw with your applications, licenses, and credit cards. You're likely a bigger person than I am, but if he wants to mess with your privacy, I'd put his name in bold letters in your post.

You mentioned film permit compliance, I have yet to hear any of the other channels/shows even mention this. I definitely think you're in the minority. Kudos for following the letter of the law on this one. Might be worth it to get an occasional ticket instead of risking your privacy.

Thanks for all you do Randy.

All I can say is holy crap! That dirt-bag needs to have an unfortunate accident.

Wouldn't accessing a government system using your SSN gained via FOIA be a criminal act (Fraud, at least)? Would there be any liability on UT for you to pursue (if you wanted to)?

I hope you find a way around this; I would very much hate to see you hang it up. Fresh Tracks is about the only hunting show I watch anymore.

Randy,
I know this sucks....not to change your mind on how you handle this but I KNOW you have made a positive impact in many hunters lives....Thank you for doing all you do and all the bullshit you put up with. I've pointed many newcomers to you as a resource, and no one has ever complained.

You always have a hunting partner in me if you ever need one. Doesn't sound like much but that is kinda my highest compliment.....either that or no one likes me...lol

I heard about the Wyoming "investigation". What an embarrassment.

I can't believe FOIAs are being released with personal information. That stuff should be redacted.

Anyone who files a FOIA to find out where someone else hunts has an entirely messed up moral compass.

To me it certainly should be illegal to access someone's account and it sounds like you may have a case. I would think that would be identity theft. I cannot imagine someone stooping to the level of a FOIA request to access your info. That boggles my mind.

What a bunch of D bags. I am not to smart on this but is there a way you can use one of us as a shell company to get the permits thru? You could just forward the request to us and we could just have horrible customer service.

Wow, I guess this goes onto the "So, you wish you had your own hunting show on TV"

Sucks that is something you have to deal with.

Wouldn't accessing a government system using your SSN gained via FOIA be a criminal act (Fraud, at least)? Would there be any liability on UT for you to pursue (if you wanted to)?

It depends on the state, but using someone else's personal information without their consent may constitute identity theft. @Big Fin should certainly have this looked into. This could very well be viewed as a felonious act.

If it were me, I'd pursue this as vigorously as the law allows. Stomp these guys like the cockroaches they are to send a message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back