Caribou Gear Tarp

Is Vortex good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I mean is the product you're talking about even available? If they are all tacking it on then it's irrelevant.

Unfortunately i dont think so. Nobody has marketed to that nitch yet or articulated that business model.

For example if I said you can choose to buy two scopes, they both exactly same in every way, ie the same scope made to same high standards by the same company with the same reputation ect ect .
Version A has a warrenty and cost 1000
Version b ( same scope) cost 750 with no warrenty...

I buy version B ......

Not me. We are rough on our equipment. I will gladly pay an extra 250.00 for a warranty. I take a tumble while hunting and bust my scope. I get a new one, free, with my warranty. Not 750.00. And this happened.
How many scopes have you pucahsed in your life ...round number? How many have been replaced with a new one under warranty?

Plenty, only a few. Not wanting to argue, but why does that matter. A warranty is basically buying an insurance policy with no deductible. It's a risk decision each person has to make. I choose not to accept the risk.

I use Vortex and/or Leupold spending on which gun I am shooting. I like both really and it depends on how much money I have at the time I am buying my scopes.

Plenty, only a few. Not wanting to argue, but why does that matter. A warranty is basically buying an insurance policy with no deductible. It's a risk decision each person has to make. I choose not to accept the risk.
Because if your paying 20% premium then your betting that more than 1 out of 5 fail totally. Thats the break even point.
We are paying inflated prices for "insurance " that most of the time isnt needed.
The cumulative cost of that habit is enormous

Objective lens size? That's what makes a difference. If he has a 50mm and you have a 42mm that's the difference.
That depends on what power you are trying to use at the time. One can only use a maximum exit pupil of 7mm, and for those of us with older eyes it’s probably in the 5-6 mm range.

Because if your paying 20% premium then your betting that more than 1 out of 5 fail totally. Thats the break even point.
We are paying inflated prices for "insurance " that most of the time isnt needed.
The cumulative cost of that habit is enormous

I totally get that. I'm in the insurance biz so i understand risk calculations, you would also have to consider the amount and length of use. Again, that is a risk i will gladly pass on to the warranty company. If I use a rifle for 20 years or more and never need the warranty, good for them. Considering how many falls I've had or my partner, I'm not taking the chance.

Is Vortex good?

There are some damn fine riflemen here, way out of my class, that use Vortex...use what works for you.

Vortex has the sickest social media and they endorse the tightest hunting influencers but honesty I would say no, Vortex is not good, unless it something from their Razor line. Without their adept marketing department, nobody likes Vortex. I had TWO scopes that were nearly $1k come to me defective right out of the box.

A warranty does you zero good when you’re on a mountain, but people fall for it all the time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately i dont think so. Nobody has marketed to that nitch yet or articulated that business model.

For example if I said you can choose to buy two scopes, they both exactly same in every way, ie the same scope made to same high standards by the same company with the same reputation ect ect .
Version A has a warrenty and cost 1000
Version b ( same scope) cost 750 with no warrenty...

I buy version B ......
You're one of those guys that drives around without insurance aren't you?

You're one of those guys that drives around without insurance aren't you?

Equating insurance on a scope or binoculars to a car and the liability that comes along with it is just foolish.
The members on here are smart enough to know that silliness like that doesnt even warrent an explanation

Last edited:
rj, do you work for Vortex? mtmuley

Don’t know how universally true it is, but I’ve been told that vortex gives higher commission to box store salespeople than other brands, hence why every shiny hair gel kid at scheels wants me to buy vortex.

For the record, I keep an old pair of 10x42 diamondbacks in my center console. They’re not awesome, but nice to have if I see something when my mavens are at home.

Don’t know how universally true it is, but I’ve been told that vortex gives higher commission to box store salespeople than other brands, hence why every shiny hair gel kid at scheels wants me to buy vortex.

For the record, I keep an old pair of 10x42 diamondbacks in my center console. They’re not awesome, but nice to have if I see something when my mavens are at home.
Yep. The continuous onslaught of sales people in stores that push a product is a turn off for me. mtmuley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back