Is Vortex good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody raves about Vortex's warranty.
I gotta ask, what on God's green earth are they doing to their scopes!!??

I've only ever had one scope that needed warranty. Cheap Barska. I threw it in the dumpster.

Of all the Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Vortex, Redfield, Sightron scopes i've owned over the past 40+ years, none had ever needed repair.

My biggest complaint with Vortex has been their Diamondback series. For double what a Crossfire II costs, your not getting any better of a scope IMHO.

Leupold has quite a good name for itself, and they do have good glass, solid scope.

More and more though my go to has been Sightron. Good glass, solid scope, with features i want at a price i'm not wincing about every time i see it.
I also like the fine lined reticle.

No complaints from my Vortex equipment. Gotta remember the majority of people on this site have a strange hate of Vortex. Go to any other site and Vortex is a great optic. Most the guys here are leupold, howa, Sitka, mystery ranch, and gohunt because that's what big fin uses. Nothing against any of that. It's all good product. Just that it's not the only stuff out there, and definately not the best bang for your buck.

No complaints from my Vortex equipment. Gotta remember the majority of people on this site have a strange hate of Vortex. Go to any other site and Vortex is a great optic. Most the guys here are leupold, howa, Sitka, mystery ranch, and gohunt because that's what big fin uses. Nothing against any of that. It's all good product. Just that it's not the only stuff out there, and definately not the best bang for your buck.
I think a lot guys here use a lot of the same stuff as Fin for the same reason he does, because it's a solid product.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. Buy the Razor line and it’s as good as anything else in its price range.

A lot of members here have used other brands of optics longer than Vortex has been a company. Hard to argue with decades of success. It's interesting that the majority of guys I know under 30 swarm to Vortex. mtmuley

I have been loyal to Vortex due to a military pro-deal, but discount aside, I have been completely happy with all of their glass and I recommend it readily. I run a Razor HD gen II for rifle hunting, and it is as good as any rifle scope I have ever looked through. I believe their binoculars are on par with Leupold, and with both companies being one tier below Zeiss and Swaro. Yes, a lot of Vortex's glass is made in China, but it is still great glass.

I used to think Vortex was behind the curve with their gen I spotting scopes, and I preferred Zeiss, Swaro, or Kowa, even for the additional price. However I believe the gen II Razor spotting scopes are outstanding, and I would rank them above Leupold, below Zeiss and Swaro. I don't have personal experience with Maven or Leica.

Outside of hunting season I am an avid wildlife watcher and photographer, so glass is with me all year.

I'm a Vortex slut.

I love their products and their price point. TBH, even if I had "premium" optics, I still wouldn't shoot any better.

Vortex has a great warrenty, the only problem is you will end up using it.

I've personally never used my Vortex warranty and am pretty hard on my gear. I've killed loads of critter with them on all kinds of rifles.

My favorite part of the Warranty is that I can buy used in PEACE knowing that even if I buy a busted scope, I can return it to get it fixed or replaced... When you're a cheap facker like me that's a sweet deal...

If you use the set-and-forget scopes, they are probably OK. They are like many others, though, in that they do not track, nor return to zero with complete confidence, if you are a dialer. They have a good warranty, which is good, because you will probably have to use it, based on many of the reports that I have read.

A lot of members here have used other brands of optics longer than Vortex has been a company. Hard to argue with decades of success. It's interesting that the majority of guys I know under 30 swarm to Vortex. mtmuley
Being a newer company, it's not a surprise that this is true. Older generations tend to be set in their ways. Set in the thought that if they've been around forever they must be good. Which is true. I have nothing against any optic companies. That being said, I am all about getting the most bang for my buck. This along with the ability to get any Vortex product for a significantly reduced price, I tend to buy almost exclusively Vortex products.

They are a newer company that has optics that are as good as Leupold optics in a similar price range. They don't have quite the high end optics reaching into the 3k range, but in my opinion, the scopes and binos are better than any other brand for the price. The warranty is great. I've never had to use it, but it covers literally anything that happens. Check out the attached video.

Age of a company doesn't decide quality. For the price, I'd challenge anyone to find a better optic with more features and reliability.

Ok so I have a vortex diamondback on my 7mag. It works Well enough. At the range I had to make some adjustments and never put the turret cap back on. I thought it was gone forever. I called vortex to order a replacement cap and they sent me a free one, why? Because they wanted me to relay the excellent customer service to anyone I could. I messed up and Vortex took care of my issue and it wasn’t any fault of the company. The only issue I have is the last few minutes of legal shooting light, I’m done with around 5 minutes left while my hunting partner with his Leupold vx2 is still good to go, better light gathering in my opinion. I have also witnessed this with the diamondback line of binos. Sub par low light gathering compared to leupold. Take it for what it’s worth, value and quality can only be justified by the user. Purchase something and be happy and then move on.

Ok so I have a vortex diamondback on my 7mag. It works Well enough. At the range I had to make some adjustments and never put the turret cap back on. I thought it was gone forever. I called vortex to order a replacement cap and they sent me a free one, why? Because they wanted me to relay the excellent customer service to anyone I could. I messed up and Vortex took care of my issue and it wasn’t any fault of the company. The only issue I have is the last few minutes of legal shooting light, I’m done with around 5 minutes left while my hunting partner with his Leupold vx2 is still good to go, better light gathering in my opinion. I have also witnessed this with the diamondback line of binos. Sub par low light gathering compared to leupold. Take it for what it’s worth, value and quality can only be justified by the user. Purchase something and be happy and then move on.
Objective lens size? That's what makes a difference. If he has a 50mm and you have a 42mm that's the difference. I picked up a pair of the Diamondback HD 10x50s and they're the best binos I've used for low light conditions. I have no issues with my 5-20x50 Viper scope. I've shot several deer with less than minutes left of legal shooting light.

After dealing with both Leupold's and Vortex's warranty in the last year, I'm going to stop making fun of Vortex. It really is an asset knowing that you'll be taken care of promptly.

With Vortex it was a 12 year old pair of binos that broke due to my dad's negligence. They had a new set of binos to him within a week.

With Leupold it was a product failure on a two year old scope, and they told me they'll get to it in 7 weeks.

I bought my nephew a vortex rifle scope, from someone who posts on this board. Its a set and forget type deal and its held up well, easy to zero, tracks fine, glass is fine and has taken the lumps and bumps applied to it from a youth hunter. It works.

That's my only experience with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back