Caribou Gear

Is Vortex good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarsonSmithElkHunter

I love their products, and with their VIP promise, and warranty, I think that it is hard to beat. My whole family uses Vortex, but I'm not immune to change either. Thanks

Vortex, Leupold, Burris, Zeiss all pretty similar. Redfield and Nikon also good options with the latter now discontinuing their rifle scopes. Vortex warranty is great though. I have always been a Leupold guy but that’s because vortex wasn’t around when I got into hunting and shooting.

I won one of their range finders at a bowhunting banquet a few years back and have been traveling all over God's creation with it on bow hunts. I find it to be an excellent product. While they are from the greatest of the 50 states, I suspect they have the products made off shore and just assemble and package in Wisconsin. Im heading to Africa with my bow and my vortex rangefinder. The two go hand in hand on all my traveling adventures.

Last edited:
Vortex, Leupold, Burris, Zeiss all pretty similar. Redfield and Nikon also good options with the latter now discontinuing their rifle scopes. Vortex warranty is great though. I have always been a Leupold guy but that’s because vortex wasn’t around when I got into hunting and shooting.
Zeiss in the same lower category as vortex and leupold? Not even close dude. Especially if you’re talking Binos and spotters. You’re talking high end German glass vs Chinese.

Zeiss in the same lower category as vortex and leupold? Not even close dude. Especially if you’re talking Binos and spotters. You’re talking high end German glass vs Chinese.

I suppose you also think Zeiss is comparable to Swaro and Leica?

I had a piece on my vortex spotter come loose entirely due to my own negligence. It really wasn't a big deal, but I didn't want it to fall off while I was out in the field. I planned to try and fix it myself, but decided to call them up and see if I could talk to one of the people doing repair work just to make sure my plan wouldn't screw anything up on the scope. They told me to just box it up and send it to them with the prepaid shipping label they emailed me, and they would fix it for free. Two weeks later they sent me a brand new spotter. Had a buddy that ran over his binos with his truck and got a brand new pair for free. Not the best optics, but they are decent and their warranty service is top notch.

Returned a vortex spotter and rifle scope for repairs. Then the vortex rangefinder started throwing funky numbers and was about 10% off.

So I bought a Leica rangefinder, Kowa spotter, and Swarovski scope. The vortex rifle scope is in the box in my basement, I gave the rangefinder to a kid I knew, and my brother has the spotter. Maybe. I'm not sure where it is cuz I don't really care, but I think he has it.

My experience has not been good. Who cares about the warranty, I want something I don't have to fix because I know it will be there when I need it.

I won't buy a POS hunting truck just because it comes with a warranty and I'm not going to buy optics that way either. Glad others have had better experience than I have. Mine have all been epic fails.

A good warranty is like good health insurance. I'd rather not need it.

A few guys I know with Vortex have had to claim on them, I'm with Grizzly I'd rather quality that doesn't need to be replaced. Leica for me, haven't bought a scope in nearly 10 years as I hunt mostly open sights but wouldn't go vortex if I did.

I have always been stuck between buying a Leupold and a Vortex. I have both, and both are great. Makes it difficult to choose sometimes, because I've never had a problem with either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back