MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is Vortex good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After dealing with both Leupold's and Vortex's warranty in the last year, I'm going to stop making fun of Vortex. It really is an asset knowing that you'll be taken care of promptly.

With Vortex it was a 12 year old pair of binos that broke due to my dad's negligence. They had a new set of binos to him within a week.

With Leupold it was a product failure on a two year old scope, and they told me they'll get to it in 7 weeks.
Do you think that is the difference between a product worth repairing, and one that it is better just to throw away and replace? Always wondered about that. mtmuley

Do you think that is the difference between a product worth repairing, and one that it is better just to throw away and replace? Always wondered about that. mtmuley

No idea. Not my issue either way.

The scope was a VX2, so I doubt they're going to sink much time in to repairing it. I have a feeling I'll be sent a new VX-freedom, which will go up for sale on here the day I get it in the mail.

And I will say that the $200 chinese binos vortex sent my dad were just as nice as my $400 Chinese leupold binos I recently sold to Gerald.

Understood. I've always just been curious as to the replacement versus repair. And I was taken care of by Vortex when a spotting scope I purchased was broken new in the box. Hence my one and done experience with them. mtmuley

Understood. I've always just been curious as to the replacement versus repair. And I was taken care of by Vortex when a spotting scope I purchased was broken new in the box. Hence my one and done experience with them. mtmuley

I'm definitely no Vortex fan. I dont ever see myself choosing their gear for any of my use. But after seeing how well they took care of my dad, I totally get why they have their following.

I think the thing to keep in mind, is even the top end glass has problems.

My Swarovski binoculars fogged on one side less than 2 years after I owned them on a mule deer hunt in Montana. I wasn't happy and luckily had a bar of cell service and got in touch with them. They over-night mailed me a loaner pair to a local business in po-dunk Montana that I picked up at 10 AM the next day. Of course they repaired my binoculars and they've been bullet proof ever since.

Anything mechanical is built to wear out and fail...it happens, all the time.

I also get a kick out of everyone claiming the stuff they happen to own is the "best". Define "best"? Best for your particular use? Best you can afford? Best for a given situation?

As an example, my Swarovski, heavier than hell, bulky 20-60x80 mm spotting scope stayed behind when I backpacked in to hunt my once in a lifetime sheep in Wyoming. In its place, my lighter, more compact 12-40x60 leupold went with. Plenty of scope when combined with a good set of binoculars. When we packed in with stock and the mule was carrying our stuff, yep, the mule carried the Swarovski.

Point being, best is relative to the user, intended use, and situation.

Reconditioned and resold. They send new ones when it is either not worth repairing or the turn around time would take too long. They care quite a bit about their customers.

Seems that added cost is passed on somehow. mtmuley
Kinda bummed that you had 1 bad experience with them and their name is mud to you now. I've unboxed dozens of vortex items and never had an issue with any of them. Must've had some bad karma holding up for that moment ;)

Kinda bummed that you had 1 bad experience with them and their name is mud to you now. I've unboxed dozens of vortex items and never had an issue with any of them. Must've had some bad karma holding up for that moment ;)
I don't believe in karma. mtmuley

So far I have 3 Vortex (2 Viper and 1 HS-T) and also 3 Leupolds (all VX3i). All have their purposes and none were really designed for hardcore turret turning. I've had problems with both companies. I know Vortex scopes could be cheaper if they didn't have so many fraudulent warranty issues.

My newest Leupold VX3i has the Z-loc and the hash marks don't line up...which if I'm not paying attention I could be up to 1 click (.25moa) off. Not a big deal in 99% of hunting situations but it's getting sent back to Leupold and I think I'll be buying a completely different brand

The difference is, in this case, the main selling point touted by all things vortex, be it the company and vortex product users....is "the great warranty"
I think it's just put out there right away because most companies don't have that good of a warranty. If I go on a dall sheep hunt and slip and land on my $2000 scope, I'd like to know that it's not going to cost me money to have it replaced. Hell, even paying a little more to have it guaranteed for life is something I'd pay for. The optics themselves are great. I'd challenge anyone to find a product that is as high of quality as Vortex given the price. If you're able to find one, how about their warranty? It's the icing on the cake to many.

As someone who likes to make his dollar go as far as possible, there's no other brand I would consider for the budget I'm on. It's peace of mind to know that IF something would happen, that they can and would repair or replace it.

I think it's just put out there right away because most companies don't have that good of a warranty. If I go on a dall sheep hunt and slip and land on my $2000 scope, I'd like to know that it's not going to cost me money to have it replaced. Hell, even paying a little more to have it guaranteed for life is something I'd pay for. The optics themselves are great. I'd challenge anyone to find a product that is as high of quality as Vortex given the price. If you're able to find one, how about their warranty? It's the icing on the cake to many.

As someone who likes to make his dollar go as far as possible, there's no other brand I would consider for the budget I'm on. It's peace of mind to know that IF something would happen, that they can and would repair or replace it.

I am of different mindset. I would rather not over pay say 2000 for a 1200 scope because I MIGHT break it. Replace scope with binos, fly rods, reels, spoting scopes ect ect.

If i break it, i will pay at that point to fix or replace place it. You will owm 20 iteams that you paid additional money for their purchase for every one you send back for warrenty work. Thats pissing money away.

Discalmier, i am speaking about "no questuons asked, the goat ate, it after i ran it over kind of warrenties" . Obviously a company should cover defects in material and workmanship. However thats a small percentage of total warrenty claims.

I am of different mindset. I would rather not over pay say 2000 for a 1200 scope because I MIGHT break it. Replace scope with binos, fly rods, reels, spoting scopes ect ect.

If i break it, i will pay at that point to fix or replace place it. You will owm 20 iteams that you paid additional money for their purchase for every one you send back for warrenty work. Thats pissing money away.

Discalmier, i am speaking about "no questuons asked, the goat ate, it after i ran it over kind of warrenties" . Obviously a company should cover defects in material and workmanship. However thats a small percentage of total warrenty claims.

Do you think the difference is that great? For the $1,200 stated you think you could get a comparable quality scope through a different company without a warranty? Meaning comparable to a $2,000 Vortex. If so I'd be really curious for an example as I might be in that market someday.

Do you think the difference is that great? For the $1,200 stated you think you could get a comparable quality scope through a different company without a warranty? Meaning comparable to a $2,000 Vortex. If so I'd be really curious for an example as I might be in that market someday.
Unfortunately i think almost all companies are forced to tack on additional margin for warranty expenses. I have heard the 20% number tossed around however retail manufacturering costs isnt something i am up to speed on. I am sure its substantial nonetheless when you factor in replacement costs, labor to process the warrentys, then capturing and shipping.

Unfortunately i think almost all companies are forced to tack on additional margin for warranty expenses. I have heard the 20% number tossed around however retail manufacturering costs isnt something i am up to speed on. I am sure its substantial nonetheless when you factor in replacement costs, labor to process the warrentys, then capturing and shipping.

But I mean is the product you're talking about even available? If they are all tacking it on then it's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back