Caribou Gear

Is "Sitka Gear" really worth the money?

postalhunter1

O.K..... I was thinking about getting some Sitka gear recently, until I got a case of sticker shock! I believe in paying good money for good gear, but almost $1,500 for the whole wardrobe? To put things in perspective my d.i.y. Elk hunt in Colorado cost me $1,200. And yes, we got 5 elk. To be honest I have never even held this clothing in my hand, but I also have worn my G.I. issue polypro and Columbia wool bibs and parka for the last ten years hunting deer in Southeast Ohio and Elk in Colorado and I have been fine. Is this gear worth the price of a custom rifle? Maybe someone has a decent amount of experience with this gear can fill me in? Can I stay warm still hunting with this gear in Ohio at 20 degrees? Is it really waterproof, thus eliminating the need for rain gear? What about alternatives like "Russell Outdoors" APX2 gear? I will be looking forward to getting some reviews, until then I will be the one slipping through the pines in my $200 camo set, with $1,500 still in my pocket!!

It sounds like to me you don't need new clothing and your happy with your current setup as you said you have been fine.

My personal opinion on Sitka gear should not sway you, but IMO MOST camo is over priced and sometimes you do get what you pay for. :)

Depends what type of hunting you are looking to do and what pieces you are looking to do it with. It is going to be a lot lighter than your wool. If you are wanting to sit stand for whitetails you are going to look at a whole different set of gear than if you are planning on covering ground out west. As far as the waterproof question yes and no. If you are looking at something like the accent clothing ( no) 90% line will be water resistant but not proof. They do make a goretex line that you will want if you are looking for waterproof.

They make great gear but you need to be realistic in what you are looking to do with it. Once you identify what type of hunting you are looking to do you will be able to get by a lot cheaper than 1500.

If you are turned off by the price..then it's not worth it. If the price doesn't bother you at all, than it probably is worth it. I'm sure the material and quality are near or at the top.

For me...it's not worth it to spend that kind of money, for clothing that doesn't effect the outcome or quality of my hunt or make me more comfortable than what I currently own. I can never remember a time out hunting, when I wished I had more expensive or better quality clothing.

Those are good answers so far. If your current gear serves you well, then why spend any money on new gear?

If you are looking for new gear, analyze what use/application you will have, and find where you can bet the best possible quality in the budget you have for the gear.

To your first question, "Is Sitka Gear worth the money?" That will depend on where each person's value equation rests. Rather subjective.

Is it great gear, and is it excellent for mountain hunting. Without a doubt. For the type of hunting I do, which is very active, it excels. It is durable, lightweight, breathable, and water/wind resistant to most everything.

My typical day is an hour hike, in cool to cold weather, then waiting for the sun to come up as the wind smashes me in the face. Walking in, I get lathered up. I need something that will breathe very well, and is light enough that I am going to carry the extra layers I need to fight the cold and wind when I am up on the ridge.

Wear too heavy of gear on the way up and I am going to overheat. Packing heavy gear on the way up is not an option with all the other stuff I usually carry. I need something as light as possible and as windproof as possible.

The company that is excelling at those layering systems, for hunting applications, is Sitka. A layered system from Sitka, will be lighter, more durable, and more wind/water resistant than any other hunting clothing I am aware of.

On the topic of waterproof, that gets thrown around a lot. Waterproof means you will never get wet, or at least that is how I intepret it. In order to attain waterproof, you are going to have lots of noise, and you are going to have breathability issues for active hunting. No matter who makes it. And, Sitka does make waterproof clothing that is excellent.

So, you probably have to answer the "Worth the money" question yourself. Few will argue that it is high quality gear. Just a function of whether or not you need new gear, and whether or not it fits your application.

Good luck.

I have used Sitka for the last three years and I feel that it is a very good layering system. At times I will still use Under Armor as my under layer and then use Sitka on top of that and I have had very good results. The outerlayer gortex stuff does very good in rain and snow and most of the layers are very light weight so if you have to start shedding clothes during a hunt they won't weigh down your pack to much. So to answer your question, to me they are worth the money.

CABugle

I've also been struggling with the decision on whether to buy some Sitka gear.

How are the 90% pants with heavy dew on the brush in the mornings?

I typically wear rain pants on the hike in if there is dew on the brush because anything cotton ends up SOAKING wet. Then it gets in your socks and wicks and drips down into your boots and you are miserable.

Right now have a couple pair of cheap "Mad Dog" rainpants ($20ish on sale at Cableas - Mad Dog Growler Rain Pants) with no pockets.

It is a pain not having pockets, but they are fairly quiet and I wear a fanny pack for stuff I would normally keep in my pockets.

I have a pair of lined Herter's rain gear, which is a little more expensive, but I burn up when I'm on the move wearing it.

Right now if it is dry I wear a pair of twill pants. The only issue with the twill pants in the dry is that cactus eats them up. Hunting in New Mexico I may as well have been wearing shorts my legs ended up scratched up so bad. I'm very hot natured so I rarely wear any under layers on my legs even in temps below freezing. Even skiing in the winter I typically will just wear a pair of lined sweatpants.

I hardly ever have issues with uppper body clothing. I generally keep one of the Mad Dog rain gear pullovers in my pack in case it rains, but hardly ever put it on. Typically I'll be wearing an underarmor type long sleeve shirt with a T-shirt over that whenever I'm on the move and when I stop I put a long sleeve button up type shirt over that. I have a thick wool quilted one for when it is cold and a wind breaker type one if it isn't.

The big question is the pants. I would probably spring for a pair of pants that would shed most of the moisture walking through the brush so nothing ended up running down my legs into my socks and was sturdy enough to protect my legs a little from getting cut up by the thicker brush when it was dry.

Would the 90% pants work for that without making me sweat to death if it was 60 or 70 degrees out?

VERY long question, but I thought I would give all the details I could.

Thanks, Nathan

I'll add this, unfortunately since I dont live in the west, I have a good drive for me to get out there, I save all my vacation all year long for my hunts out west. In my mind, I'm going to buy the best gear, I can thats going to allow me to hunting, longer and harder and best take advantage of the limited time I have. The more variables I can remove, the more comfortable and effective I'll be. That's why I use Sitka Gear.

Its an investment, but one thats worth it for me. It might be easier to buy a few pieces here and there at a time when you see deals on them. There are some great deals on it right now to at some places for 80% off.

i own one piece of sitka gear, the 90% pants. I liked them so much on my mountain goat hunts that i am jonesing for more of the stuff. though it is expensive.

Its an investment, but one thats worth it for me. It might be easier to buy a few pieces here and there at a time when you see deals on them. There are some great deals on it right now to at some places for 80% off.

I've been thinking there should be some good sales right now, but haven't found anything close to 80% off. Cabela's has the Ascent pants on sale for $120 instead of $150 and the 90% pants on sale for $184 instead of $230 but that's the only place I've seen them on sale right now. Where are you seeing sales for 80% off? I'd probably buy some if I could find them at 50% off.

I have use sitka from the start. Very nice product but very pricey.I do like the top base layers and the acsent pants the best.I dont like the camo patterns at all.It also will not keep you warm in the treestand.

Nathan, the Ascent pants and a pair of gaitors would be my recommendation. The new Mountain pants would be a good choice also. I never wear a base layer on the bottom, even at freezing temps and the Ascent was fine in Utah last year.

I always hunt with gaitors.

Last edited:
I don't have a whole lot of Sitka stuff, but I don't hold back anymore when it comes to having good clothing. I prioritize my clothing higher than I do my rifle and scope.

I know a lot don't like the camo pattern, but really, can you name one company besides Sitka that actually designed it for how Deer and Elk will see it?

Every other company goes out of their way to highlite how YOU will see it.

Don't spend $1500 on the whole system. Get the 90% pants and jacket and call it good. It will--as the name suggests--be fine for 90% of your hunting.

I've been thinking there should be some good sales right now, but haven't found anything close to 80% off. Cabela's has the Ascent pants on sale for $120 instead of $150 and the 90% pants on sale for $184 instead of $230 but that's the only place I've seen them on sale right now. Where are you seeing sales for 80% off? I'd probably buy some if I could find them at 50% off.

Sorry I meant 20% off.

Do the 90% line keep you fairly warm in colder climates? I'd assume if you wore those with some base layers underneath that you would be okay, but I have never had the chance to use any Sitka before. Thanks for the info.

Do the 90% line keep you fairly warm in colder climates? I'd assume if you wore those with some base layers underneath that you would be okay, but I have never had the chance to use any Sitka before. Thanks for the info.

I wore 90% stuff with base layers in ND when we filmed in December 2009. Temps -10F and winds 20-30mph. It kept me warm enough. Not sure how much I would have had to wear to keep myself completely warm on that hunt.

Buschy was wearing some Optifade stuff on that hunt, but can't remember which ones it was.

Layering is the key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back