Moose Hunt - Gear to Bring or Leave

blueridge

I am getting my gear together for my Alaska moose hunt (leave on Saturday). I keep going back and forth on a few items and would appreciate some input. I am used to backcountry elk hunts and try to run a 40# pack (dry) for a week long hunt. My weight for this 10 day drop hunt has gotten out of hand. I keep trying to tell myself it's a completely different gig and is in no way apples to apples, but the weight conscious side of me is cringing big time. Anyway, here's the scoop:

10 day fly-in hunt, dropped at a backcountry air strip at the headwaters of a river. Shrubby down low with ridges on each side that go up from 3000 to above tree line at 4500'. My son and I both have moose tags. 4 brow tine, 50 inch unit. We're probably limited to a couple mile radius of the air strip just to be able to get meat back, so our base camp and glassing/calling/hunting spots can't be too far away. Temps (what I can see so far on the 10-day) range from 40-50, but very well could get down to freezing towards the end. And wet!

Here are the items I keep going back and forth on, their weights, and some of my thoughts on them. (I could post my clickable, sorted by category, Excel spreadsheet, but ... wllm ... it's just too soon.)

*20-60 spotting scope (39.2 oz).
*10x42 binos in chest harness (33.4 oz).
I already have quick stix on my trekking poles, so for the tripod I add the 3rd leg w/ quick clip (10.8 oz) and a fluid head (16.4 oz). I've never brought my spotter on a hunt. But I have also never been in a restricted unit (4 brow tine or 50") or done a glassing intensive hunt. Spotter only, binos only, or bring both? Practical relevance?

* .22 pistol and holster (41.5 oz) for hunting grouse and ptarmigan.
* mini fishing rod and lures (14.1 oz). F&G said they don't know if salmon run that far up the river, but there are a couple nearby mountain lakes that may hold lake trout and dollies.
* bear spray and holster (13.1oz). It's grizz country. Is it worth having both spray and a rifle?
*camp chair (32 oz). I love a damn camp chair, ... but can't I find a good (wet) log?
* puffy pants (17.3 oz). I hate being cold. Temps aren't supposed to get too cold, but AK wind can be cold when it blows. I will also have 350g wool long johns.
* tent lantern (9.8oz). It's nice to have a communal light source other than individual head lamps, but it doesn't get dark until 8:30. Go to sleep! Or have a fire.
* minimal first aid kit and tourniquet (4.5 oz). I've never used my first aid kit. Should I be a duct tape bandaid guy who can make a tourniquet with a belt or p cord?
* Leatherman with hex bits for scope screws (8.5 oz). Tighten everything at the truck and leave it, or don't be stupid, it doesn't do any good a plane ride away from the truck??

It looks like there's potentially 10-15 lbs on the table. What would you take and what would you leave? Or, with a base camp that has to be pretty close to the airstrip, just bring it all??

Last edited:
other than your brain being upset with you, what is the downside if brining it? If you are paying for the fly-in I would take it all just incase. None of it seems unreasonable to me and a lot of it I would consider a necessity on a 10 day trip where a lot of things could happen. I vote to take it all!

And make sure you take lots of notes and photos for us!

I’m interested to hear what people say on the optics, the spotter could shave some weight.

I agree, the chair would be nice on a hunt that long

I could live without the lantern

If you just want the leatherman for scope screws you can save some weight by just carrying an Allen wrench

We’ve never had a spotter on a moose hunt. But I agree with @GoGriz. If you are under your weight limit bring it. The chair, you will be glad you have it. The warm clothes, you will be glad you have it. There’s not much colder than 40 degrees and driving rain for 2 or 3 or 4 days. Do you got gloves? Put another pair in, they’ll get wet.

Take the spotter for counting front tines they get into some thick stuff and it can be a pain. I wouldn’t plan on killing over a mile out they are a huge animal. We doubled down last year on our trip I can break a bull down in a hour and be packing me here in Montana my moose took 3 hours with 2 knives running

Thanks everyone for straightening me out. I will switch from the whole leatherman kit to the two individual hex keys, and take everything else on my list. I am sure I will be glad to have it and I am still well under payload limit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back