Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is "Sitka Gear" really worth the money?

you need more then just the jacket. I wore a core shirt and the jacket on the hike in, then just the core or I switched over to just the traverse when hunting. All 3 on the hike in was too much.

I wear my 90% jacket as my "around town" jacket and when it's 20 degrees out and blowing, it's not enough with just a shirt on underneath.

Last edited:
I wore 90% stuff with base layers in ND when we filmed in December 2009. Temps -10F and winds 20-30mph. It kept me warm enough. Not sure how much I would have had to wear to keep myself completely warm on that hunt.

Buschy was wearing some Optifade stuff on that hunt, but can't remember which ones it was.

Layering is the key.

Thanks Fin. Thats basically what I assumed, but first hand knowlege is always nice to refer to. I will have to keep an eye out for some. I know the crap I use now doesn't really do much of anything, I pretty much rely on my base layers to keep me warm.

Do the 90% line keep you fairly warm in colder climates? I'd assume if you wore those with some base layers underneath that you would be okay, but I have never had the chance to use any Sitka before. Thanks for the info.

For hiking it is just fine. For most hunting I do in November, I layer it with underarmour and it works great. This past thanksgiving week, when it was 0, I did switch back to my heavier wool pants and wore a Sitka Jetstream jacket. For anything from the teens on up, the 90% is good.

I see it as a matter of perspective. Will cotton or less expensive synthetics work, yes, most of the time. I try to make the most of the hunting time I get. If it is raining, hot, windy, etc, I want to be out hunting, even if the conditions are less than ideal. It has taken me a while to get over the high cost of Sitka, and even then, I try to pick it up on sale when possible. I've spent a lot of money on bows, rifles, optics, packs, gas money to go scout and hunt, so why skimp on the clothing I'm in all day, sometimes every day of the hunt?

My problem is I'm a gear junky and sometimes don't know when to stop, thus ending up with more things than I actually need.

If we are used to spending $40 on a pair of camo pants and $30 on a camo shirt, then spending $200+ for a shirt and pair of pants seems outrageous. Compare Sitka to similar 'non-hunting' products (The North Face, Mountain Hardware, Arc'Teryx, Mammut, etc) and the prices aren't that out of line.

Now that I've justified it, does anyone know of somewhere where I can find the 2010 Jetstream jacket on sale in size L? :D

Ron

Now that I've justified it, does anyone know of somewhere where I can find the 2010 Jetstream jacket on sale in size L? :D

Ron

I don't know if this is a 2010 or not. I bought a second 2010 Jetstream from Mountain Archery back in December for about $200.

http://www.bobwards.com/SITKA MOUNTAIN-Jetstream-Jacket-51226

You'll love the Jetstream in colder weather. I bought that one back in December after using a Jetstream this fall in 0 degree weather. I couldn't believe how warm it was. I wore an underarmour top under it...nothing else.

What's the difference in Sitka base layers vs. UnderArmor base layers? I never thought I would say this, but UnderArmor seems cheap compared to the Sitka stuff.

I never have figured out why you need camo base layers so that part isn't really important to me.

Anyone else with any input on how the Ascent or Mountain pants would do walking in wet brush? Would a pair of gators do a whole lot of good in thigh high wet brush?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of Ascent pants I found. A 2009 version for $89.

What's the difference in Sitka base layers vs. UnderArmor base layers?

Big difference. One is based on tight compression clothing (UA) and one is based on well fit clothing that allows for better layering (Sitka).

I have used UA Cold Gear. Was not impressed. In fact, I have two full sets of cold gear base layer if anyone wants them - One green set and one brown set. Send a PM with name and address, and I will mail them to you for the cost of shipping. XL.

I have never worn women's nylon stockings, but some guys claim that is what UA feels like. To me, it feels like I tried to wear the same britches I had in high school. It starts stinking like hell in about one day. Not sure about other guys thoughts, but after a day, I start itching like crazy when I wear it.

I bought those as I was comparing to Sitka, during Season One and Season Two of the show. Wanted to be using the best performing gear I could for the show. Those results are why I never bought anymore and we went the direction we did.

Maybe the warm weather gear is better, but the cold gear was a major disappointment.

Now that I made that report on performance, I doubt anyone will PM me for the gear.

I bet Hunts will...cause he likes it Cheap!! ;0)

I agree about the stink... I dont particularly like the fit either.

I do like my Sitka Gear, but being another cheap ass...I wouldn't buy it at full price, but as shown above, it does show up on sale quite often!

Now that I made that report on performance, I doubt anyone will PM me for the gear.

I think there was still some folks willing to pay for shipping even with the performance issues, but the "stinking like hell" and itching like crazy" comments should keep most sane folks from taking you up on your offer.

I may have to try one of their core shirts out. Do you guys prefer the zipper front one or just the regular ones?

I don't think you need the whole outfit either.Buy the 90% jacket/pants and layer when necessary.The stuff is well worth the money IMO.I use it out here in the East while deer/bear hunting from stands and with layering I never got too cold.For my trips out west, the stuff is great since I'm on the move alot.I jst bought some Russell APX2 L-4 jacket and pants and would say the are comparable to Sitka,but we'll see for sure this Sept.I got the Russell stuff at 50% off with free shipping thru the internet.I also got my Sitka at 50% off last year from Cabelas.Keep an eye out and the sales will happen.Just be ready to buy when they do,and don't wait around
Being comfortable is a big part of enjoying your hunt.These clothes defenitely help with that;highly recommend

I used the tight-fitting UA base layers for a few years and never did get used to them.

A guy at a local store talked me into trying some of their looser-fitting stuff and I really like it, although it is a bit warmer than the tight-fitting UA.

The base 2.0 is what I bought, and I bought an XL, even though I'm usually a M or L.

I tried on some of the Russell APXg2 stuff at Gander Mountain today at lunch. It seemed to be pretty decent. I didn't realize Gander Mountain carried any Sitka gear, but they had an odd assortment of Sitka gear and I checked some of it out too.

I think I may buy some of the L5 Cyclone raingear in the Russell APXg2 flavor at 50% off. It is just a shell that you put over whatever you are wearing and it looks like it would be very light to have in your pack for anytime you might need it for rain or a windy coldfront when you are out in a T-shirt or something like that.

I did end up ordering that 2009 pair of Ascent pants and am curious to get them and try them out.

I don't mind the UA gear. It helps keep the chaffing down when it is tight like that. Keeps the sweat off my body just fine too. I do wear both and they both have a good product line. The only issue I have with Sitka is the dang pants don't fit very well. Not saying I have big quads or anything but I swear they are made for chicken legs.

Interesting thread. I was looking for an introduction forum but did not see one so I guess this will be my first post.

I am a Midwest transplant to Arizona and it has been two years here in the West, and I have yet to hunt. It is killing me and I hope to get after some NM Turkey this Spring. In any case, I have been looking into the Sitka gear for quite some time and it is growing on me. However, being from the Midwest, I am a die hard Mossy Oak person, so I am also looking into the Russell APXg2 system (which is available in other patterns this year, including King's Mountain Shadow, which I am seriously looking at).

My question is, would you folks purchase Sitka gear at dealer cost if you had the option, or would you purchase APXg2 gear at retail (since they are very close in terms of dollar amount)? I think it is an interesting question, since I've heard Sitka at dealer cost is still a few dollars more.

I look forward to your answers, but more importantly, I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing to this forum!

Regards

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I was looking for an introduction forum but did not see one so I guess this will be my first post.

I am a Midwest transplant to Arizona and it has been two years here in the West, and I have yet to hunt. It is killing me and I hope to get after some NM Turkey this Spring. In any case, I have been looking into the Sitka gear for quite some time and it is growing on me. However, being from the Midwest, I am a die hard Mossy Oak person, so I am also looking into the Russell APXg2 system (which is available in other patterns this year, including King's Mountain Shadow, which I am seriously looking at).

My question is, would you folks purchase Sitka gear at dealer cost if you had the option, or would you purchase APXg2 gear at retail (since they are very close in terms of dollar amount)? I think it is an interesting question, since I've heard Sitka at dealer cost is still a few dollars more.

I look forward to your answers, but more importantly, I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing to this forum!

Regards

I haven't used the Russel gear, but I doubt if it is any better than the Sitka stuff, if that is what you are asking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back