Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is "Sitka Gear" really worth the money?

A question for everyone...

If you had the ability to get 1 FULL set of Sitka, KUIU, APX or UA for FREE, what would you get?

Hmm... That would be a tough one. I could easily narrow it down to Sitka or KUIU, but from there, it'd be tough. I have some of both and really like both sets that I have. There are a few differences though.

KUIU appears to be more 'simple' lines/cuts. Not as many pockets or extra frills. Lighter as well.

Sitka has additional pockets, some of which are nice, some that are unnecessary.

Camo patterns are different as well.

Since it would be for 'free', I take it cost wouldn't be an issue as well as availability.

From my limited experience with KUIU, I really like it. Then again, my Sitka clothes are tried and tested in different environments. I don't have any experience with either brand of rain gear, so can't comment on that.

Hmm... I'll have to think some more about which one regarding Sitka or KUIU, unless it could be BOTH! ;)

I am looking at buying some of the uppers in both brands, but I don't believe the bottoms will last long enough for the price. Again, it goes back to how much value you personally place on functional clothing & nothing more.

Craig, don't discount the durability of the Sitka and KUIU pants. I've beat up my Sitka pants and they've done well. I really like my Mountain Pants (2010 style). They can hold their own and the knee pads are very nice. The KUIU pants I've only worn a few times, but they have great potential.

A buddy of mine finally dropped the money on some Sitka pants earlier this spring. After buying and trying out one pair, he immediately went out and got a second pair. He used them bear hunting in southern AZ this spring. I told him it gets easier dropping the coin on them after trying them the first time... :)

Ron

OK - question for Big Fin and you other guys that have used sitka for a while. I have about $900 woth of Cabelas points built up. I have been saving them with the intention of getting some good Sitka, Kuiu, Russell, First Lite, etc gear. I do a lot of elk and mule deer hunting both early archery and late rifle. I will also be going on a mountain goat hunt in early October. Here is what I have been thinking:

First Lite merino wool base layers (both light and medium weight tops and medium weight bottoms). I have heard that the sitka base layers can get a little funky after a couple days and that the merino wool breathes just as good if not better and wont stink.

I don't have any experience with the Sitka Merino wool (yet) or the First Lite, but so far I'm liking my KUIU Merino. Based off my experience (limited) and what I've read I'd go with Merino (brand depending on availability to you).

Sitka mountain pants and Sitka Jetstream Jeacket.

I can highly recommend the Mountain Pants. I wore mine quite a bit last year and really liked them. I've only had my Jetstream jacket for a shorter time, but so far so good. My experience with that and other windstopper products is that it doesn't breathe too good, but with the pit zips and the chest pocket zippers open, it vents very well. My experience with windstopper also shows that it is very water resistant and only leaks at the seams.

I am undecided on raingear. I have been debating between Sitka Stormfront and Stormfront Lite. I know the Stormfront is lighter and more packable, but is the regular Stormfront any quieter? I do have some old MTO50 raingear in the whitetail series but it has begun to lose its waterproof qualities. I also don't like the the fact that the pants are so baggy down toward the cuffs.

I would appreciate any input and suggestions.

I don't have any experience with Sitka raingear (except for fondling it at Cabelas ;)), but I'd say go with pit zips in which ever you get. To me, lightweight rain gear is worthless without pit zips. I'd be happy to pack the extra couple of ounces for pit zips. What good is rain gear if you are drenched on the inside of the jacket from sweat???

Ron

First Lite merino wool base layers (both light and medium weight tops and medium weight bottoms). I have heard that the sitka base layers can get a little funky after a couple days and that the merino wool breathes just as good if not better and wont stink.

I have used merino wool, and have had good results. I have not used the new Sitka merino base layers that are coming out this year. Will be using some this fall.

As far as Sitka base layers getting "a little funky after a couple days," that has not been my experience. Last year was the first year I used the Sitka base layers. Troy, our camera guy, and I both commented that they were the best base layers we have ever used. Both from a breathability and stink standpoint.

Sitka mountain pants and Sitka Jetstream Jeacket.

To my previous comment, I would again state, make sure your hunting needs fit the application the garment is designed for. I love my Mountain Pants for most of my hunting. They do not have a GORE-TEX or WINDSTOPPER membrane, so they are going to be water resistant, but not rain gear style waterproof. They have a DWR finish and made of great durable synthetics, so they will be water resistant and dry quickly.

I would say that from October to the end of season, I am almost always using my Mountain pants. Extremely durable.

My favorite Jacket is the Jetstream, followed by the 90%. Reason is that I do mostly mountain type hunting. The Jetstream has WINDSTOPPER, which is very breathable, extremely wind resistant. Try to find the wind resistant qualities from some of the other competitors. They like to talk about water resistance, but they seem to ignore wind.

When I am very active in hiking up a ridge, I need something that will block the wind when I get there, and allow vapor to get through when I stop hiking. The weight to warmth ratio is good, due to the extreme breathability.

I always have another layer with me, to provide that extra insulation layer once I stop and start cooling down. If it is a warm day, I don't need it.

In the Rockies, it is not often heavy downpours, so the Jetstream with WINDSTOPPER has more than adequate water resistance, with excellent wind resistance and breathability active mountain hiking requires.

Did I say I like my Jetstream for mountain hunting? :D

I am undecided on raingear. I have been debating between Sitka Stormfront and Stormfront Lite. I know the Stormfront is lighter and more packable, but is the regular Stormfront any quieter? I do have some old MTO50 raingear in the whitetail series but it has begun to lose its waterproof qualities. I also don't like the the fact that the pants are so baggy down toward the cuffs.

Will you use it for other purposes besides rain gear? Like hunting in colder conditions? How durable does it need to be? If you are looking for a light package raingear, get the Stormfront Lite. If you are looking for something bombproof, heavier and warmer, get the Stormfront.

I would appreciate any input and suggestions.

Given the late and early elk hunting, the items you are considering seem to be a good balance. The layer system will be critical for the occasional late hunt that might get extremely cold.

You mention using it for a Mountain Goat hunt, which has some pretty specific demands. Much of what you are considering for your normal hunting would work for that, but make sure the layering and systems needed for Mountain Goat hunting demands are considered with the additional garments you bring.

Good luck.

Randy said it pretty good, I basically share his sentiments on the Jetstream jacket and Mountain Pants. I've got my Sitka merino zip-t, to go with my KUIU merino bottoms, really getting a chance to examine both, theres not a whole lot of difference other than the price and patterns. I choose the Sitka for the top because I really beleive in the Optifade patterns, and the KUIU bottoms becuase I really wanted to see what it was all about, both great pieces. Being new to Merino wool, I think I will use the merino stuff for my western hunts where I dont have the chance to wash my gear as oftern as I would like and since I've read anyways that its less durable through repeated wash cycles I'll save my synthetic Core gear for treestand hunting or when I know I'll be able to do a wash after I've worked up a sweat. I also didnt experience stink issues with the Sitka synthetics.

I think the biggest problem is the perception people have with hunting gear, they want one jacket and pant to do it all. You'll get someone talking about how great there gear is going to be because they put on there brand X soft shell gear got in the shower for 20 minutes and there still dry, well thats great, but if I wanted to stay dry in a heavy rain storm, thats why I carry rain gear in my pack. You gotta give somthing to get somthing, increased water repellency and resistance comes at the expense of breathability, thats why layering is so important, people need the right gear for the right situation, or else your just in a comprimise, and thats not the principal behind a proper layering technique in my opinion.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back