Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

In Defense of Mountain House -- a Treatise

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Heck yeah.

Days 1 and 2 are always always McDonald’s or chipotle. Tho, chipotle is flirting with disaster sometimes.

Though, I’m starting to think about getting an 18” Costco pizza for 9 dollars for my round two’s first few days of treats.

I get a large pizza hut meat lovers the night before our 3D shoots. Stuff it in a 2 gallon ziploc and pack it around in my backpack while we shoot the course.

All this talk about Mountain House and no one mentions Gastrognome?

I know her meals are expensive but after eating too many Mountain Houses a couple weeks ago @Elkoholic offered me a Gastronome Shepherds Pie.

🤯🤑🤑🤑🤑 It was mind blowing delicious. As was the peach cobbler. And the squash bowl breakfast.

If Mountain House and Peak Refuel are 5’s , Gastrognome is a solid 8.5 on the taste scale.
Gastro gremlin is not allowed in my tent...

Big disappointment here. I clicked on this thinking it was snowymountainier’s annual “I killed a big alpine buck with my small caliber rifle and packed out it and my camp in one load” thread.

I like the MH chicken and rice. Safe and spice it up with Taco Bell hot sauce and/or crushed red pepper.

Agree with the Lasagna sligholy better than spaghetti but it sure does stick to your spork.

That biscuits and gravy isn’t for people with high blood pressure but hot damn if that isn’t a morale booster you’re just a downer.
This is true! The Peak Refuel version is notable as well.

Side note, the ad with Chad Mendes eating a Peak on a dock next to a fancy boat has to be one of the most ridiculous ads ever......

Last edited:
I've stuck with MH for all of my remote Alaska hunts, as well as deer hunting in Maryland. On the deer hunts I would go up the mountain in the morning, with MH/stove/water/fuel in my backpack. Late morning I would fire up the stove, boil water, and reminisce about past Alaska hunts. Only had to grab the bow or rifle while cooking/eating a couple of times over the years.

Chicken and Noodles, chicken with rice, spaghetti, and chili mac are my go tos. Tried a Peak Refuel meal once. It wasnt for me.

I have yet to find a food I can’t eat but my only gripe with Mountain House is that they seemed to shrink the portions and they don’t have the calories I look for when hunting.

I hate myself for liking Peak foods (100% d-bags.) I ate the Peaches and oatmeal last week and while it was good, that was more oatmeal than I’ve ever ate in one sitting. I tapped out and had to give the rest to my buddy.

Night one - jimmy John’s Italian night club. The rest - mtn house. Keep it simple.

Sweet and sour pork is my all time favorite. I use my limited supply as a reward while fishing on the stocked city pond. While there are 3 bags for sale on ebay for 75 bucks, I restrain myself.

I have yet to find a food I can’t eat but my only gripe with Mountain House is that they seemed to shrink the portions and they don’t have the calories I look for when hunting.

I hate myself for liking Peak foods (100% d-bags.) I ate the Peaches and oatmeal last week and while it was good, that was more oatmeal than I’ve ever ate in one sitting. I tapped out and had to give the rest to my buddy.
I figured you and Mendes were dock bros at the Fort, I saw your dope sailboat in the background of his pic.

All this talk about Mountain House and no one mentions Gastrognome?

I know her meals are expensive but after eating too many Mountain Houses a couple weeks ago @Elkoholic offered me a Gastronome Shepherds Pie.

🤯🤑🤑🤑🤑 It was mind blowing delicious. As was the peach cobbler. And the squash bowl breakfast.

If Mountain House and Peak Refuel are 5’s , Gastrognome is a solid 8.5 on the taste scale.
Sounds like you owe @Elkoholic a steak dinner

I admit to having as much Peak in the closet as MH. It’s a satisfactory alternative.* But I could take only MH beef stroganoff or breakfast skillet for every meal and be perfectly content.

*Had a Mendes special bison mashers something or other while coues hunting last winter and could barely choke it down. Closest I’ve come to tossing a meal since the MH Jamaican jerk chicken.

Big disappointment here. I clicked on this thinking it was snowymountainier’s annual “I killed a big alpine buck with my small caliber rifle and packed out it and my camp in one load” thread.

I like the MH chicken and rice. Safe and spice it up with Taco Bell hot sauce and/or crushed red pepper.

Agree with the Lasagna sligholy better than spaghetti but it sure does stick to your spork.
I don’t really shoot anything anymore, mostly carry optics and such around in the mountains and think about dumb stuff like dehydrated food.

Breakfast skillets where it’s at, BL&D. Lasagna is one of my absolute favorites any day, and I’m pretty baffled some of you call that a go-to? Never had real lasagna???!

I actually like your review @Schaaf on the Peak peaches and oatmeal. I was worried I wouldn’t get enough! Definitely gonna try one.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back