PEAX Equipment

Im bowing out

Source was Indeed, have no idea the accuracy though the site appears “current” but hey, it’s the inter web!

View attachment 213641
I tried to hire construction gig work in 2020, unskilled, trash pickup and move materials. Central IA $20/hr got two replies. One guy was hungover and no show. Other guy said he’s do 4 days, ended up doing one partial day and bailed.

I tried to hire construction gig work in 2020, unskilled, trash pickup and move materials. Central IA $20/hr got two replies. One guy was hungover and no show. Other guy said he’s do 4 days, ended up doing one partial day and bailed.

Sounds like most industries everywhere these days for entry level “workers” when no one wants to seem to work. I drive through a little berg south of here quite often (La Pine, OR) that is right on the main Hwy (97). The McDonalds there has had a sign in the window since 2020; Help Wanted $18.50/hr with $1500 sign on.

I finally stopped there and grabbed a coffee last week (poor choice) and asked if they just forgot to take the sign down? The “shift leader” who was probably 17 said, nope they don’t usually even last long enough to get the bonus! How long for that? 90 days

You’d think in a town of 2500 at least the teenagers would be interested but no I guess.

Sounds like most industries everywhere these days for entry level “workers” when no one wants to seem to work. I drive through a little berg south of here quite often (La Pine, OR) that is right on the main Hwy (97). The McDonalds there has had a sign in the window since 2020; Help Wanted $18.50/hr with $1500 sign on.

I finally stopped there and grabbed a coffee last week (poor choice) and asked if they just forgot to take the sign down? The “shift leader” who was probably 17 said, nope they don’t usually even last long enough to get the bonus! How long for that? 90 days

You’d think in a town of 2500 at least the teenagers would be interested but no I guess.
We came back from 4th of July weekend with kids last year stopped in a McDonald's. Went in so the kids could stretch there legs ( they peed in the parking lot🤷‍♂️ they don't get out much) like for the drive through had at least 9 or 10 cars. Pop machines were all but empty, no ketchup etc three young kids if I had to guess all under the age of 16 were working and the manager was some poor old lady appeared to be in her 70's what a shit show. I felt so bad for that lady trying to organize that mess. Monkeys at the zoo have shit throwing fights that are more organized. Almost wanted to go back and lend a hand to help her out. As the wife and I drove away I we joked about a mushroom cloud in the rear view mirror.

99% of construction workers aren’t building giant ass houses in Jackson and Big Sky but those are the only people the forum talks about… wonder how much billy in Iowa is making.
Sure, but your little story about the couple is pretty bs for 99% of the country. I'm almost certainly the highest paid geologist in several counties around here, and only because I get paid on an engineering scale, while there are 100s of construction workers making more than me. My BIL is a tile setter, we keep pace pretty well.

Do construction workers also like to over spend? Some of them, for sure. But some just make a f ton more than typical professionals.

I think you get skewed being in O&G and hanging out with doctors.

My guess is the same as any other profession.
In terms of over spending? My experience is its not the same, but just because some professions attract a certain type of person. Construction seems to attract more, again broad strokes, people who work hard and play harder and are attracted to machinery ($$$) as part of their play.

In terms of over spending? My experience is its not the same, but just because some professions attract a certain type of person. Construction seems to attract more, again broad strokes, people who work hard and play harder and are attracted to machinery ($$$) as part of their play.
I could see that. Seems like it's across the board like anything else I guess I've worked with guys who are check to check idiot's and the same crew with a guy who owns 20 rental houses. Big money toys for sure but I don't think they/we spend as much on a other things that other groups do?

The point of my story was more that there are a lot of professions that make a ton of money that aren’t necessarily “known”. I mean to that point doctors don’t make shit… for the first 3-9 years after you are officially an MD you make 50-90k, and have on average $200k In debt. I know a lot of MDs they don’t have much money until they are in there late 40s. Same thing to be honest with lawyers, all things considered not that impressive of earning potential… sure some at big firms do but most not really.

My point about OG geos, and in Denver there are a decent amount is that I was shocked when I found out their salary. Similar marketing processionals… I know a number of folks that do marketing for small-ish companies that make over $150.

I’m sure there are a ton of different careers that would likewise blow me a away. Like you said tile setter… I had no idea…

Think about how many millions of people there are that are making close to 200k in the US then take into account disparities, ie some neighborhoods in a city no one makes over 50, therefore it’s quite reasonable that you may walk into Safeway in a part of town (Seattle or any city is the same) and everyone aside from employees are making over 200k, in SF that might be $400k.
View attachment 213645
I guess my takeaway is that there's a broad range in each profession. But geologists don't make bank outside of a few small sectors.

AAPG has 38,000 members, would be interesting to know what their average salary is… I don’t that it’s a subset that is paid more but it’s not really that different than any profession. I mean how much are truckers in ND, Alaska, etc making compared to average.
Considering that # includes 100 countries of say the average is low. Plus if their membership is similar to AEG, it includes plenty of non professionals and techs.

Avg practicing geologist in WA is under 100k.

Considering that # includes 100 countries of say the average is low. Plus if their membership is similar to AEG, it includes plenty of non professionals and techs.

Avg practicing geologist in WA is under 100k.
I mean all we have to look at is the broad income studies that we've both linked to before
Screenshot_20220227-072429_Chrome.jpg

200% increase in rent for next year because they have literally no place to go.
I've owned my own house since I was 19 years old, never thought I'd be in this position. We had Terrible timing to rent between houses two weeks before covid hit. This is SO TRUE that it's not even funny. Wife and I are literally having this conversation right now. Even if I wanted to rent something different than where we are now for the time being it's not remotely possible. I looked today $2000 for a pos 3 bed 1 bath 1,000sq ft house. Rock meets hard place.

I've owned my own house since I was 19 years old, never thought I'd be in this position. We had Terrible timing to rent between houses two weeks before covid hit. This is SO TRUE that it's not even funny. Wife and I are literally having this conversation right now. Even if I wanted to rent something different than where we are now for the time being it's not remotely possible. I looked today $2000 for a pos 3 bed 1 bath 1,000sq ft house. Rock meets hard place.
Lots of that for sure. Just about the only "normal" people I know who are affording rentals are renting from owners that are holding below market out of the goodness of their hearts.

Lots of that for sure. Just about the only "normal" people I know who are affording rentals are renting from owners that are holding below market out of the goodness of their hehearts.
Renting from my brother who I borrowed the money to to buy the property were living in. Ain't that a bitch.

Last edited:
Of looking for a home. GF and I have been looking for something a little bigger, with a 2 car garage, and the market is ridiculously overpriced here in Colorado. We've gone after 2 properties, one went 50k over asking from a sight unseen cash offer, the other went 22% over asking, which is about 130k!!! I'm not into feeding frenzies and our place is paid for. Anyone else just riding out the storm expecting some sort of a correction? Unless employers raise wages 15- 20% to every working person in Colorado, I don't see the current prices being sustainable, cash rich buyers are not an infinite resource.
The market will cool off eventually if you can be patient for a year or two. You're smart by not getting caught up in the emotional bidding for property. Your time will come. It's amazing how things will fall into place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back