Yeti GOBOX Collection

Im bowing out

It’s amazing how threads that are allowed to meander often bring out anecdotes that reveal more of our humanity. Glad you shared that, @DouglasR and I’m very sorry to hear about your brother. Can only imagine what that must be like.

On another note, after crunching all the numbers my wife and I decided to put down our deposit with the builder for our new home. It’s what we’ve been working toward for a long time and, despite our frustration with the current state of things, is still a sound decision for our family. Get busy living and all that…

@DouglasR sorry to hear about your brother. I understand your dads sentiments. We used to ski on Clinton lake early in the spring before anywhere else had warmed enough to go.

@rtraverdavis the wife and had property and everything but it still took us 5 years to move forward. Best decision we made! You won’t regret it.

High possibility that is how it plays out.

I have another theory that @BigHornRam will love. It sort of explains everything. Americans haven't been asked to sacrifice anything for multiple generations. No personal sacrifice, no financial sacrifice. I can't really think of one since the 80's. After 9-11, we had an entrenched enemy and were staring at wars that we knew would last decades and eventually cost over $1T. People signed up for the armed forces but there was no draft. The rest of America wasn't even asked to pay for it. In fact, they were given tax cuts. 2008 Financial crisis, more money printed, more tax cuts. Trump comes to office wants to build walls and break down established trade policies which all cost money, but more tax cuts. Americans haven't sacrificed anything for as long as I can remember. No way to show direct linkage, but it might explain why people push against wearing a mask, or Montanans push back when the idea of sacrifice opportunity for quality comes up, or just about anything. If you have never been asked to sacrifice anything ever in your life (or your parents'), they all seem like huge give-ups.

I don't know, we all seem to guilty of it.
But it's just a theory. Prove it wrong. Find me a fairly recent example where this applies "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." Not for the individual, but the collective.
I completely agree with this sentiment and it is a concern of mine. People have suffered based on their individual circumstances in life, but they haven’t consciously sacrificed for the greater societal good. If there ever ends up being a true WWIII or the National Debt finally becomes an unavoidable issue that can’t be pushed off anymore, how will society respond? Will it rally like the greatest generation did during WWII or will it wilt in the face of hardship? There is no way of knowing until the time comes.

A friend of mine is a GC back in my hometown and she recently told me the floor to build a new home with the cheapest options is $500/square foot. The kicker is that this cost applies to every location in the entire county so you can’t save anything by building out in the boonies. Every GC in the county is fully booked through all of 2023 so new starts are now not even available until 2024. Crazy times indeed!

A boat? Just throw your $ into the water.
Owned 4. 10 years as Lake Patrol Ranger/EMTII.
Seen so many screw ups and injuries. 80% of them on the launch ramp.
Ever seen what a boatful of Valley People backing down on a ramp does when the ball shears off, from rust.

Spent a weekend in the E-room in San Diego waiting to see if my niece would recover from the boat to the head. She did somewhat recover and is married to a Marine who takes care of her now.

Sorry for the hijack. I also do not even own the canoe anymore.

Definitely not saying that, quite the opposite. As more and more high wage earners and high tech companies leave the overpriced California housing market will finally correct. Our prices are ridiculous and California prices are absurd. They won’t have a sustainable housing market as wealthier people and high paying companies leave. Who is moving too California? 75 percent of residents in my Idaho town can not afford a house. People moving here from places like California can sell a potato shed for 1-2 million dollars and buy 2 nice houses in Idaho. Once that market and other over priced big city markets correct we will have a real estate bust in the booming small and medium sized western towns. The only thing sustaining our markets are people moving here from those high priced markets and its mostly California. Who is moving THERE to buy a 3-4 million dollar home? Seems like nobody but a lot are moving out. Locals can’t afford housing here what happens when a Californian can’t sell his house for an absurd amount then move here? Prices have to correct
I don't think enough people are leaving California to destabilize their housing market.
California has 36 million people
Idaho has 1.9 million.
If 2 million California's head to Idaho our population would more than double and California would still have 34 million people reproducing.

I don't think enough people are leaving California to destabilize their housing market.
California has 36 million people
Idaho has 1.9 million.
If 2 million California's head to Idaho our population would more than double and California would still have 34 million people reproducing.
Good point. But really Doesn’t even take that extreme. All it takes is 0.5% of the Californians to want to buy summer vacation homes in Idaho and Montana to throw the entire region’s housing market into a mess.

Saw that too, I take zillow with a grain of salt. Not in there best interest to sing any other tune.

True that. What concerns me, here anyway, that though their “forecast” is likely suspect, my realtor buddy in town says that their avg home prices and “zestimates” for our area have actually been running about 7-10% LOW for the past 18 months. I really feel for the young kids/first time buyers here trying to make a go as the equity army keeps moving East!

A friend of mine is a GC back in my hometown and she recently told me the floor to build a new home with the cheapest options is $500/square foot. The kicker is that this cost applies to every location in the entire county so you can’t save anything by building out in the boonies. Every GC in the county is fully booked through all of 2023 so new starts are now not even available until 2024. Crazy times indeed!
I have a really hard time believing $500.00 per sq/foot unless there labor rates are extreme or very expensive land. Material prices haven’t jumped that much to justify a $155.00 - $175.00 per sq/ft up to $500.00 sq/ft. I just completed a home last year and priced out materials on another one in the last two months. I think it’s more of matter of charging a amount that a perspective homeowner is willing to pay.

I have a really hard time believing $500.00 per sq/foot unless there labor rates are extreme or very expensive land. Material prices haven’t jumped that much to justify a $155.00 - $175.00 per sq/ft up to $500.00 sq/ft. I just completed a home last year and priced out materials on another one in the last two months. I think it’s more of matter of charging a amount that a perspective homeowner is willing to pay.
Yah, labor here is probably just about as high as you can get and most builders will tell you 200 to 240 a Sq ft.

08 you had subprime mortgages on massive adjustable and mortgage backed securities full of trash loans. Currently we have a massive deficit of inventory, and low interest rates different scenarios. Will prices steady yes and we’re seeing that but waiting a year to time the market is likely a losing proposition. As long as you don’t do something stupid like waive inspection or put extra money because the assessment came in too low or overpay for a house in the area you’ll win out. There are good deals and bad deals in all markets. If inflation continues to rise so will house prices. Not everything is ‘08, we tend to have a recency bias.
Did I say this market was jacked up the same way as '08? I said it was overinflated like it. Different factors driving this market and it is not sustainable.

I will also add that car price premiums are not sustainable if you want to take a position on that.

Back