Im bowing out

How about this for some appreciation! Double your money in less than four years! This shit is crazy!!q
We cleared all debt, and place a few hundred K in our account. Same setting. Bough 6 years ago @ 325k, sold 3 months ago @ 725k.

Our market analyst says this is likely the new norm as min wage demands are entering states and (or) in the process. May soften a bit though... inflation. A b for some and a king for others.

My BIL is a tile setter, we keep pace pretty well.

Do construction workers also like to over spend? Some of them, for sure. But some just make a f ton more than typical professionals.

But this comparison stills skews… I’m guessing your BIL is an independent contractor, and is basically making piece work. A guy can can hustle his ass off and make six figures doing piece work. A guy making wages… not so much, at least not around here.

I had an eye opening conversations with the foreman of one of my subs about a year ago. He asked me my opinion on his wage scale, and I was shocked that he was making $1/hr more than I paid my lead guys in 2005. No joke.

Scale is coming up around here just because of market demand and labor availability, but the scale still sucks.

Not exactly sure what this means, but yes he runs his own show. He definitely doesn't work more than me, but does have pretty big swings in effort per week.
Piece work is being paid per unit installed as opposed to an hourly wage. To keep with the example, your BIL is being paid per sq ft of tile installed. So if a guy has some hustle, and can figure out how to be very efficient, then he’s going to make more. For the guy making a per hour wage, it doesn’t matter how efficient or how much hustle, he’s only ever going to make that wage. He’ll move up the wage scale, but if that scale sucks to begin with…

Piece work is being paid per unit installed as opposed to an hourly wage. To keep with the example, your BIL is being paid per sq ft of tile installed. So if a guy has some hustle, and can figure out how to be very efficient, then he’s going to make more. For the guy making a per hour wage, it doesn’t matter how efficient or how much hustle, he’s only ever going to make that wage. He’ll move up the wage scale, but if that scale sucks to begin
Gotcha.
My sis runs the finances and set up a pretty good system in my mind. He/ they get paid a salary which has to cover Healthcare and retirementas well as typical living expenses, then anything above that is put back into the biz.

Last edited:
What is raising rates really going to do? Diddly squat.
Are there more people wanting housing than houses available? Yup. It'll take ages for housing supply to catch up to demand. No real drop in prices until there's inventory, inventory doesn't sell, then sellers drop prices to sell. We're still in the no inventory stage so there's no immediate price decline coming.

The real inflation issue is lack of supply, which causes shortages of everything, which leads to higher prices.
Printing money and paying people to do nothing means more money chasing the same amount of goods and services. In our current case it means more money chasing less goods and services --->inflation.

The people listening to Dave Ramsey might as well be computing with an Apple IIc. Who wouldn't borrow today's dollars and pay them off with money worth less over time? The way our dollar is depreciating it's a no brainer at this point. Long term fixed financing repaid with toilet paper is a win for normal folks. The gov't is doing it to us with their bonds, paying no real interest and returning money worth less than what they borrowed. We should be doing the same scam. Then there's some tax breaks for owning real estate. . .
You are not a Dave Ramsey fan, but I would guess that you are a Robert Kiyosaki fan?? ;)

My first “real” house I had built under contract at $86,900 and 8.8%. It was 1520sf on a TINY ass lot.
1990 vintage

My first “real” house I had built under contract at $86,900 and 8.8%. It was 1520sf on a TINY ass lot.
1990 vintage
What’s the price of that house today on Zillow?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back