Im bowing out

Holy shit, Hanna? are they opening the mine back up
Are you kidding? Wow! My 1929 house with half the sq ft could sell for $300K tomorrow if I listed it. What's the catch? High crime district? Interior gutted by a herd of cats?

Whelp I think I might be bowing out of this shit show market.

I think the 2023 variable that needs to be discussed is “can” you actually buy a house. I submit it’s not actually possible in many markets.

Currently we have put offers on 6 places with no luck, all $25k+ over asking went up to $80k over on one place. 1 month occupancy after closing for free, waived all inspections.

Nada.

One place went for $140k over asking so ~25% over list price.

Younger generations in this country are so f-d it’s not even funny.
On the bright side, now that you've accepted defeat you can really lower your expectations for happiness and traditional measure of success. It's great!

We searched for a long time before we bought. Lots of deals just like you mentioned. You will eventually find the one. Just keep swimming…

That’s wild @wllm cant believe crap is that competitive still. Admittedly not actually “in” the market so I don’t have a good pulse but it seems like all I get are price reductions notifications anymore in my area from Zillow

Just seems like things are rapidly slowing down, can’t believe sellers are getting away with what you’re dealing with still

That’s wild @wllm cant believe crap is that competitive still. Admittedly not actually “in” the market so I don’t have a good pulse but it seems like all I get are price reductions notifications anymore in my area from Zillow

Just seems like things are rapidly slowing down, can’t believe sellers are getting away with what you’re dealing with still
I wish this craziness would stop, not slowing down any here...the value of my double-wide is getting out of hand. Built this joint for $320K. Getting taxed on $783,000.

Zillow says:

Zestimate

$750,900​

Zestimate range

$683,000 - $818,000​

Last 30-day change

+ $13,997 (+1.9 %)​

There are some markets that stay that crazy through all the ups and downs. Some places are just consistently desirable.

I’ll never really know what the optimal timing could have been, but I am happy I bought last October. It is much less stressful to have a house when reading this thread compared to before I bought and seeing all the prices jump up.

Also ridiculous, first house we bought here for 108K in 2001, now our rental property. I agree, I don't know how young people enter this crazy market...

The thing that bothers me, is that these type of, what I would think qualify as starter or entry level homes, are increasing the most in value.

Its insane.

Home value​

Zestimate

$276,300​

Zestimate range

$249,000 - $301,000​

Last 30-day change

+ $10,255 (+3.9 %)​

I wish this craziness would stop, not slowing down any here...the value of my double-wide is getting out of hand. Built this joint for $320K. Getting taxed on $783,000.

Zillow says:

Zestimate

$750,900​

Zestimate range

$683,000 - $818,000​

Last 30-day change

+ $13,997 (+1.9 %)​

This is one of the houses we put on offer on, $750k was the winning offer but had a sewer issue.

B459CC6E-9840-40E4-B6E6-7A9E58A1A4C0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also ridiculous, first house we bought here for 108K in 2001, now our rental property. I agree, I don't know how young people enter this crazy market...

The thing that bothers me, is that these type of, what I would think qualify as starter or entry level homes, are increasing the most in value.

Its insane.

Home value​

Zestimate

$276,300​

Zestimate range

$249,000 - $301,000​

Last 30-day change

+ $10,255 (+3.9 %)​

The west makes MI look reasonable for sure, my parents bought a lot for $50k in the 90s, built a house for $230k which they thought was insane at the time. Zillow says $1.04MM… 1800sqft, 3 bed 3 bath, mom hasn’t updated anything since it was built.

There are some markets that stay that crazy through all the ups and downs. Some places are just consistently desirable.
We sold our house in PDX last month--got more than 10% over asking, all-cash offer, inspection waived, two week close, three and a half months of free-back. We had offers that were a fair bit higher, but none with as good of terms. I was pretty nervous going into the sale, thinking, who the hell wants to move to Portland any more? Despite the mess the city has become, people really, really want to be there. It worked out great for us, but sure is a mess for first-time home buyers. I have no idea what options will be available in 20 years when my kids are at the age to start thinking about buying a home.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back