Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

If you had to choose just one caliber???

How much more powerful is the .300 Winchester Magnum versus the .30-06? Also, is there any recoil difference. I have a .270 wichester and one to have another big game rifle, looking for a cartridge to go with it.

Try a .243 if you want something different. A 30-06 wouldn't be a big gain, if any over the .270 and the .300 WM is a big jump in recoil over the .270

This is a trick question.......who in their right mind would ever just choose one!!!!!!!! Maybe one cartridge in each caliber. If you were going to limit yourself to just one then I would choose 300 win mag. I think a guy could do really good with a .243 and a .300 win mag

My dad bought be a 338 Win Mag for a college graduation present. He wanted me to be prepared to hunt anything in NA. So far it's never not worked on things from doe pronghorn to bull elk.

Too much sentiment in that rifle to pick anything else.

My 340 wby would fit the bill for me. Over gunned sometimes (if there is such a thing, I'm skeptical) in the scenario presented, just right for others.

Over gunned sometimes (if there is such a thing, I'm skeptical)

I would imagine an important variable would be bullet selection, but certainly if your choice of caliber destroys a lot of meat/the hide that would qualify in my mind as over gunned.

A black bear shot with a 250 grn bullet, that expands too rapidly could make it impossible to take a bear and keep the hide in condition for a rug.

Lots of variables in play though... a head shot with a .243 might have the same effect, and you would likely be fine if you used a premium bullet like a swift-A frame, or etip, etc.

I concede that today's bullet technology makes the old standbys more effective, it's just that old ideas die hard, and I'm closing in fast (if not already there) on what I would consider old.

Little difference. Shot placement key. But if I had to choose. Probably 30 cal or 7mm in 7mm08 or 308 light rifle.

50bmg.... why?
Because as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel and right before hitting the target, one will hear “America the beautiful” ringing in their ears . !!

I am a 6.5 guy but i am not taking it after moose or big bears. So it would not be my one a done. I would try elk but not over about 300 yards. So i go with 30.06

I would take my .264 win mag for both, just like any hunting situation wait for a good shot opportunity.

.30 cal for me. .30-06 if we are talking cartridges. I have a T3 Lite SS in .30-06 that loves shooting 180 Accubonds. Not much I can’t do with that combo.

I love the people responding with .30 cal... because I sense the sarcasm because the question is worded poorly. I believe cartridge was the intended response wanted. But I would say yes .30 cal in 300 winmag because of the moose, may be overkill on smaller deer, if the moose wasn’t included I would say .06

Honestly their is not as much difference on maximum point blank range between the 2 as you would think. With todays scopes and range finders I think it is a mute point.

To me there is a noticeable step up in recoil and muzzle blast going from a 30-06 to a 300 win mag. I think the muzzle blast bothers me more than the recoil, but I personally don't care for it.

My rifles have transitioned from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 7x57, 30-06, and a 9.3x62. I think the 06 sized cases are a great combination of power and shootability. If I were picking one for everything, I would be happy with a 30-06. Bullets for every type game is readily available off the shelf and most people can shoot an 06 accurately.

That's very interesting,

Prior to my current rifles I had a 7mmRM as my only rifle. Sold it and bought a 30-06 then 7x57 then a 9.3x62!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back