If you had to choose just one caliber???

Greyman

There are a lot of great all around calibers but when you come down to the parameters of factory ammo it has to be the 30-06 you can walk in any hardware store in the middle of nowhere and find a box of 30-06. The next I would agree with the 12 gauge, It would be cool if someone made an affordable over under with both-I remember Baikal used to make one but I never actually handled one.

jeremys4

.600 nitro express I’m not man enough to shoot one but if I had to have one. Jokes aside probably a bps magnum.

Mtnhuntr

If we are talking cartridge, then the 300 win mag gets my vote.

blueknight99

How much more powerful is the .300 Winchester Magnum versus the .30-06? Also, is there any recoil difference. I have a .270 wichester and one to have another big game rifle, looking for a cartridge to go with it.

Last edited:

wllm1313

Lot's of .30 and 7mm...Where's all the 6.5 guys? :ROFLMAO::unsure: lol
I only own two rifles, a .22lr and a .264 win mag. The .264 has been a great all purpose caliber, but you have to reload and even then bullet selection sucks. Cabelas/basspro/sportsman seldom carry anything, you can’t even get a box of etips on their websites. So for someone who wants to be able to just run factory ammo I wouldn’t recommend a 6.5... maybe components will become easier to find with the hipster craze.

Foxtrot1

How much more powerful is the .300 Winchester Magnum versus the .30-06? Also, is there any recoil difference. I have a .270 wichester and one to have another big game rifle, looking for a cartridge to go with it.

Honestly their is not as much difference on maximum point blank range between the 2 as you would think. With todays scopes and range finders I think it is a mute point.

To me there is a noticeable step up in recoil and muzzle blast going from a 30-06 to a 300 win mag. I think the muzzle blast bothers me more than the recoil, but I personally don't care for it.

My rifles have transitioned from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 7x57, 30-06, and a 9.3x62. I think the 06 sized cases are a great combination of power and shootability. If I were picking one for everything, I would be happy with a 30-06. Bullets for every type game is readily available off the shelf and most people can shoot an 06 accurately.

Carl 9.3x62

Honestly their is not as much difference on maximum point blank range between the 2 as you would think. With todays scopes and range finders I think it is a mute point.

To me there is a noticeable step up in recoil and muzzle blast going from a 30-06 to a 300 win mag. I think the muzzle blast bothers me more than the recoil, but I personally don't care for it.

My rifles have transitioned from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 7x57, 30-06, and a 9.3x62. I think the 06 sized cases are a great combination of power and shootability. If I were picking one for everything, I would be happy with a 30-06. Bullets for every type game is readily available off the shelf and most people can shoot an 06 accurately.
Another 9.3x62 shooter!

Harrier

Ordinarily I’d say .30-06, but lately I’ve fallen in love with my Mauser in 7x57. I’d feel comfortable using it on everything from predators to elk.

Jt13

I've recently been reaching for my 7mm RM for nearly all hunting applications

MTTW

Though I could make do with pretty much any 30 cal. magnum, if I had to pick one it would be the 300 Win. which I don't even own at the present time.

I actually used a 300 win. for everything listed for a lot of years and never wished for more or less gun, except on the occasional coyote. I did however wish for a working rangefinder a few times.