If you had to choose just one caliber???

Europe

I buy you guys books. send you to school, tell you all that I know and you still get it wrong LOL

300 H & H

I logged on to see what the music of the day was --but alas no music this Friday--so thought I would contribute here

For the record my advise and a quarter will buy you absolutely nothing!

Losing_Sanity

I logged on to see what the music of the day was --but alas no music this Friday--so thought I would contribute here
I don't do the Friday Music post but here is one of my favorites for our upcoming holiday, Memorial Day...

tzone

How much more powerful is the .300 Winchester Magnum versus the .30-06? Also, is there any recoil difference. I have a .270 wichester and one to have another big game rifle, looking for a cartridge to go with it.
Try a .243 if you want something different. A 30-06 wouldn't be a big gain, if any over the .270 and the .300 WM is a big jump in recoil over the .270

recurveman

This is a trick question.......who in their right mind would ever just choose one!!!!!!!! Maybe one cartridge in each caliber. If you were going to limit yourself to just one then I would choose 300 win mag. I think a guy could do really good with a .243 and a .300 win mag

1_pointer

My dad bought be a 338 Win Mag for a college graduation present. He wanted me to be prepared to hunt anything in NA. So far it's never not worked on things from doe pronghorn to bull elk.

Too much sentiment in that rifle to pick anything else.

Riflerich

My 340 wby would fit the bill for me. Over gunned sometimes (if there is such a thing, I'm skeptical) in the scenario presented, just right for others.

wllm1313

Over gunned sometimes (if there is such a thing, I'm skeptical)
I would imagine an important variable would be bullet selection, but certainly if your choice of caliber destroys a lot of meat/the hide that would qualify in my mind as over gunned.

A black bear shot with a 250 grn bullet, that expands too rapidly could make it impossible to take a bear and keep the hide in condition for a rug.

Lots of variables in play though... a head shot with a .243 might have the same effect, and you would likely be fine if you used a premium bullet like a swift-A frame, or etip, etc.

Riflerich

I concede that today's bullet technology makes the old standbys more effective, it's just that old ideas die hard, and I'm closing in fast (if not already there) on what I would consider old.

renello

Little difference. Shot placement key. But if I had to choose. Probably 30 cal or 7mm in 7mm08 or 308 light rifle.

riley

50bmg.... why?
Because as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel and right before hitting the target, one will hear “America the beautiful” ringing in their ears . !!

wllm1313

I am a 6.5 guy but i am not taking it after moose or big bears. So it would not be my one a done. I would try elk but not over about 300 yards. So i go with 30.06
I would take my .264 win mag for both, just like any hunting situation wait for a good shot opportunity.

Alex38

.30 cal for me. .30-06 if we are talking cartridges. I have a T3 Lite SS in .30-06 that loves shooting 180 Accubonds. Not much I can’t do with that combo.

SoCalHuntr

I love the people responding with .30 cal... because I sense the sarcasm because the question is worded poorly. I believe cartridge was the intended response wanted. But I would say yes .30 cal in 300 winmag because of the moose, may be overkill on smaller deer, if the moose wasn’t included I would say .06