PEAX Equipment

Idaho Second Deer Tag - 2016/2017 winter implications

ERSS

As most of us know, Idaho has allowed residents and non-residents to purchase an additional general season deer tag ( at non-resident price ) for the past several years. When I called IDFG and inquired about this option for 2017, it sounds like the jury is still out. Apparently the continuation of this additional opportunity is dependent on a majority vote by the members of the IDFG commission when they meet in mid June, and due to the harsh 2016/2017 winter and subsequent winter kill......it sounds like there is a possibility it may not be approved for the 2017 season. While I have some mixed feelings, I believe it is in the best interest of the Idaho hunter/sportsman that the extra tags not be available this year, and maybe for a few years, to allow for a quicker rebound of the states deer population. Regardless of which side of this decision you are on, here is a link to let the commission know your opinion https://idfg.idaho.gov/about/commission/members

Any thoughts / discussion on this topic?

Same here on letting the population rebound. As Randy was mentioning in a few podcasts, the deer hunting was getting really good, then this last winter happened...

so if nonresidents don't buy the tag allocation, then don't let the residents buy them if I hear you correctly, as in past years,

but if nonresidents buy the tag allocation and kill "x" amount of deer that's ok?

how many extra tags have been bought by residents the last few years, how many deer have they harvested on those tags,

if there is a deer population issue, then it would seem all tags would be looked at to help the population, as in no doe tags, no late tags ect,,,

I hope they don't allow it, with the winter we just had and a rebounding population one tag for everyone is fine, but the lost revenue will be the catch for fish and game and in the end my guess is they'll allow it this year.

so if nonresidents don't buy the tag allocation, then don't let the residents buy them if I hear you correctly, as in past years,

but if nonresidents buy the tag allocation and kill "x" amount of deer that's ok?

how many extra tags have been bought by residents the last few years, how many deer have they harvested on those tags,

if there is a deer population issue, then it would seem all tags would be looked at to help the population, as in no doe tags, no late tags ect,,,

My understanding is that both resident and non-residents have been able to buy a second tag ( general season ), in addition to their initial controlled or general season tag - I would suggest that no "second tags" be sold to either resident or non-resident this year

1. The NR regular deer tag quota (12,015) is obviously the number of tags that IDFG would be comfortable issuing to NR's with a given success rate
2. If that quota is not purchased by NR's would they still be ok issuing the same number of tags that they were gonna issue before?
3. I say yes, unless the success rate on second tags issued is through the roof
4. Our success rate on second tags last year was 75%

I called the Boise Fish and Game office today to get some clarification. You can still buy a second tag like usual at out of state pricing. Weather they will be at a discount price like the last few years is what they are going to decide at the upcoming meeting.

This would be ideal but it's not happening.
They have been shorting seasons, adjusting dates and trying to find creative ways to sell just as many tag with less harvest for as long as I can remember. Then when tag sales dropped a few years back (likely due in part to a drop in hunt quality) We created a system to sell those tags to people with an above average success rate.
All of this before the bad winter.
The muledeer hunt in 37 is now only a 7 day season it was a 21 day season before you could buy a second tag. But now I can shoot two meat bucks in 7 days of madness. Cool!
Unit 22 went from a general season any buck to fork horn only.
Sweet two forkies a year!
Not too long ago the majority of the state had a general season Oct 10 - 31 now most of the mid and southern units close on the 24th because harvest was too high that close to the rut.
Unfortunately until we properly fund IDf&g we are going to have them push tag sales. They want to do what's best for wildlife but they must balance their budget.

Last edited:
1. The NR regular deer tag quota (12,015) is obviously the number of tags that IDFG would be comfortable issuing to NR's with a given success rate
2. If that quota is not purchased by NR's would they still be ok issuing the same number of tags that they were gonna issue before?
3. I say yes, unless the success rate on second tags issued is through the roof
4. Our success rate on second tags last year was 75%

I guess I kind of bring it down the to simplest of terms -
Regardless of quotas, etc., if they don't allow sales of "second tags" to either residents or non-residents, this will result in a decrease in harvest and decrease in revenue. If they continue as in past years, harvest and revenue will remain at similar levels, minus whatever effect this past winter has on harvest numbers.
7 commissioners will vote next month on this specific issue.

I called the Boise Fish and Game office today to get some clarification. You can still buy a second tag like usual at out of state pricing. Weather they will be at a discount price like the last few years is what they are going to decide at the upcoming meeting.

Thanks for the clarification, that wasn't how it was explained to me this AM

Ide like to have the option to buy a second mule deer tag on a good year. But after this winter, I wouldn't mind if they made it 1 Mule Deer tag per person, but allow for a second tag to be purchased for whitetail only.

I might add that I personally would like to see the second tag become whitetail only.

As someone that lives in North Idaho can I disagree with that? We are swamped with people up here on our long seasons and high road densities, its really gotten to be quite a mess. Deer quality isn't close to what lots of people think it is or could be.

Good luck trying to get accurate info on the number of deer harvested on second tags, "mandatory" harvest reporting has been on a downward trend for years and I suspect no one really wants to know the difference created by some people having two tags vs. more people having one tag.

As someone that lives in North Idaho can I disagree with that? We are swamped with people up here on our long seasons and high road densities, its really gotten to be quite a mess. Deer quality isn't close to what lots of people think it is or could be.

Good luck trying to get accurate info on the number of deer harvested on second tags, "mandatory" harvest reporting has been on a downward trend for years and I suspect no one really wants to know the difference created by some people having two tags vs. more people having one tag.

Well you didn't mention the IIHS or UNFCCC so I'll allow it.

Last edited:
The second tag option is one of the worst management practices the F&G has. Giving a second tag to the more effective hunters is much worse than giving the tag to an average nonresident. These second tags put significantly more pressure on mature bucks in general season units. Anyone that has hunted easy to draw tags in other states know that the number a mature bucks in Idaho's general season units is already pathetically low. Allowing effective hunters the opportunity to kill more mature bucks is a terrible idea.

I was wondering if someone from the whitetail part of the state would chime in...

One of these years I need to get back to your neck of the woods and try to even the score with Idaho whitetails.

The second tag option is one of the worst management practices the F&G has. Giving a second tag to the more effective hunters is much worse than giving the tag to an average nonresident. These second tags put significantly more pressure on mature bucks in general season units. Anyone that has hunted easy to draw tags in other states know that the number a mature bucks in Idaho's general season units is already pathetically low. Allowing effective hunters the opportunity to kill more mature bucks is a terrible idea.

Please show me data that supports the numbers of mature bucks taken on these second tags.
Also how many residents are buying the second tags

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back