Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho hates NRs.

For me here in the pretty part of Idaho it is about 50/50 R/NR that I meet in the woods. I-90 and I-84 funnel @neffa3 , @JLS , et. al. right in. They bring whiskey and the don't burn their sh!t in garbage bags. I'll share camp with them.
I feel a little bad for you ID residents. We pulled up to a trailhead this fall, all nine of the rigs were out of state. But I've yet to meet a prick in the woods in ID. WA is full of them!

You have every right not to come to Idaho if you don’t like how the state runs NR hunting.

I didn’t like the hammer placed on the mentor program.

As my title states, actions by Idaho are against NRs due to residents complaining about hunter numbers.

I see a few NR vehicle plates here and there but I haven’t spoken to one NR on a hill. In fact, I’ve only spoken to one resident on a hill (good guy). It seems the problem now is the ATV races everywhere to road hunt.
I agree with you. But the mindset of if you don't want to pay then don't play will lead to a drop off of NR's, which is what all the residents who are complaining and blaming all the hunting problems on NR's want. I don't know but I would guess a very large chunk of the money that Idaho funds its fish and game programs come from NR fees.

What about the larger increase in Idaho residents? I know quite a few families that have moved there and one of the main reasons is hunt opportunity. Any state agency who alienates NR to the point of keeping them out is only shooting themselves in the foot.

I come from a state where the state agency only cares about the revenue. Deer numbers, habitat migration routes, etc are second thoughts. We also allow only 1 NR elk tag for the entire state. Any Californian who hunts understands what crappy game management can do to a state. So those of you ID residents are whining about too many NR don't know how bad it can be. Try to hunt with the same number of hunters with about 90-99% less game. ID has done a great job in maintaining game numbers, hunter success and hunt availability. And please don't tell me its my fault because I voted for them, I have done no such thing.

These changes are purely brought about by residents complaining and not the best interest in game management (tag numbers have not changed). This can be a slippery slope. I hope ID F & G managers keep this in mind. Tayloring the vocal minority or even the pissed off regular Joes is never in the best interest.

We all want the opportunity to hunt. I appreciate I have the means and ability to do so out of state, I will continue to do. It might not be always be ID but it is a special place.

Like others on here, I have never had a bad 1 on 1 experience hunting. Anywhere. I have had hunts ruined and the game I was going after run out by others, but never on purpose.

I hope you ID residents know how good you have it, I would join you if it was feasible for me and my family. Maybe try to keep in mind that we all would like some opportunity and those of us coming from out of state are funding a big portion of your states ability to keep those opportunities available, for all.

Since 1990, Idaho has kept the same cap on NR deer/elk tags, if I recall correctly. In that same time, Idaho has added 780,000 new residents, of which I suspect a good percentage are now resident hunters. To say that crowding is the result of non-residents is not supported by the figures.

Doesn't mean good entertainment can't be derived from blaming non-residents for all that is wrong with hunting in whatever state. Hell, blaming non-residents is considered another form of sport in the west.

Carry on .......

Since 1990, Idaho has kept the same cap on NR deer/elk tags, if I recall correctly. In that same time, Idaho has added 780,000 new residents, of which I suspect a good percentage are now resident hunters. To say that crowding is the result of non-residents is not supported by the figures.

Doesn't mean good entertainment can't be derived from blaming non-residents for all that is wrong with hunting in whatever state. Hell, blaming non-residents is considered another form of sport in the west.

Carry on .......
Wasn't the cap on just controlled hunts? Where it's now on OTC tags as well? I thought that's where the big issue with NR's came from.

Wasn't the cap on just controlled hunts? Where it's now on OTC tags as well? I thought that's where the big issue with NR's came from.
I don't think so. I think the elk cap has been around 12,000. Can't remember what the deer cap has been, but I think it was slightly higher than the elk cap.

There have been NR caps for as long as I remember. They didn't always sell out and in years they didn't sell out, residents were able to buy a second tag.

I don't think so. I think the elk cap has been around 12,000. Can't remember what the deer cap has been, but I think it was slightly higher than the elk cap.

There have been NR caps for as long as I remember. They didn't always sell out and in years they didn't sell out, residents were able to buy a second tag.
Yep, my bad on that one, I always understood that only the controlled hunts were capped, but the OTC's are capped as well. Thanks Fin, I guess that's the perk of being a resident, I usually don't have to dive so hard into those numbers!

My big concern is that my favorite WT unit has a high cap. I am afraid that means that those who didn't get their favorite GMU deer tag will come to mine.
One possible solution would to make all hunters whether resident or non-res pick their hunt unit, season and weapon. They would then only be allowed to hunt their unit of choice. No more applying for their "favorite" GMU and then go hunt somewhere else when they don't draw it.
That would greatly reduce overcrowding.

One possible solution would to make all hunters whether resident or non-res pick their hunt unit, season and weapon. They would then only be allowed to hunt their unit of choice. No more applying for their "favorite" GMU and then go hunt somewhere else when they don't draw it.
That would greatly reduce overcrowding.
I think it’ll eventually go to that way for residents for deer. Elk already has specific zone and weapon type limitations.

As a resident, I could theoretically hunt from August to November using archery and rifle general hunts. I personally hunted three different deer units during the rifle season.

From Idaho's perspective they are selling tags to cheap when compared to other states.
I'd like to see all tag increase 50% in MT for residents and Non Residents alike.

I think it’ll eventually go to that way for residents for deer. Elk already has specific zone and weapon type limitations.

As a resident, I could theoretically hunt from August to November using archery and rifle general hunts. I personally hunted three different deer units during the rifle season.
I think that is fair for residents to be able to have a long season in a general unit. Part of the perks of living there. Non residents for the most part (except for border huggers) are going to be a week to 10 days .

Because, like other states that have also raised fees across the board, the Fish and Game is run like a business. They will get every dollar they can from any extra fees possible. It's has and is becoming even more of a pay to play activity. Only the wealthy will be allowed to participate.
But “why” is there an archery fee in the first place?

Glad I never invested much time on this state. In fact I'm in burn points exit mode in many states. I want out. Getting older wheels falling off. Began targeting old man units. But easy to exit Idaho fer sure.

Last edited:
Seems a little high😎
Pa's non residet fees should be absed upon the buyer's state of resident.. Conn. Del and RI should be atleast 2,000 a year per person. if they live in Philly it should cost them 5K NJ should be aligned with Philly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back