Idaho hates NRs.

As a Wyoming resident, I wished they limited tags totally in the areas I hunt. When I started hunting the most popular ridge in my hunt area, there were probably several dozen hunters in every quarter section of land and you could not set up without hunters walking within 1-200 yards of you. We ended up moving from the west side of where we hunt (where most of the elk were sighted preseason) to the east ridges where you need horses to get to where the elk were going. I don't do NR hunts myself because I can't justify the expense but I would like to see quotas reduced for safety reasons. I see hunting accidents about to happen when I go elk hunting in all the areas I hit up so far since becoming a Wyoming resident.

Supply and demand... Opportunity for NR elk hunters, across the west, is still relatively good, but money and lotteries are basically the two ways managers deal with demand being higher than supply. Check out Atlantic salmon fishing if you want to see the money method in action.

Reactions: Hem
Hopefully it relieves pressure in some of the "hot" areas. Probably not b/c residents might soon figure out that they're the ones crowding.
Could be interesting if they hire Dominion to handle the new draw process.

10 years from now
$5000/sheep,goat,moose
$3000/elk
$2000/deer
$1000/antelope

Do you really believe this? I dont. That's way more than inflation. There is no way hell someone is paying 1000 for a non trophy deer hunt in az

I am a resident of one of the areas that receives a heavy amount of NR pressure. IDFG showed that 30+% of hunters in my area are NR. I am also very aware of the dramatic increase in the number of resident hunters over the last decade. Despite the increase in residents I do see a lot more NR in the field.

It is not an exageration to say that when I go hunting I see 2-3 NR license plates for every 1 Idaho license plate. I puzzled over that for several years because because it just didn't add up. There is no doubt that there are more resident hunters so why was I seeing such a lopsided NR hunter ratio.

I have only recently come to conclusion. I think this is very much to do with Private versus Public land. Many residents have access to hunt on private land while most NR do not. This means that the majority of NR will be hunting on Public Land. As a non-landowning resident I also hunt the Public land, putting me into contact with more NR than residents.

I am satisfied with IDFG efforts to address this issue and spread NR hunting pressure throughout the state.

I am a resident of one of the areas that receives a heavy amount of NR pressure. IDFG showed that 30+% of hunters in my area are NR. I am also very aware of the dramatic increase in the number of resident hunters over the last decade. Despite the increase in residents I do see a lot more NR in the field.

It is not an exageration to say that when I go hunting I see 2-3 NR license plates for every 1 Idaho license plate. I puzzled over that for several years because because it just didn't add up. There is no doubt that there are more resident hunters so why was I seeing such a lopsided NR hunter ratio.

I have only recently come to conclusion. I think this is very much to do with Private versus Public land. Many residents have access to hunt on private land while most NR do not. This means that the majority of NR will be hunting on Public Land. As a non-landowning resident I also hunt the Public land, putting me into contact with more NR than residents.

I am satisfied with IDFG efforts to address this issue and spread NR hunting pressure throughout the state.
Can you show me how you are finding the % of nonresidents in each individual general season hunt?
I attempted but failed to find that particular data set.

I wonder how Covid may play into hunter numbers next year. Last year saw very little affect, but this year....? I could make a case for all 3 scenarios.....more western NR hunters, less, or the same. It will be interesting to see if Idaho sees a different result than other states given they are making this change.

I don’t much care about the price increase but the limiting of non resident tags could squelch my 2022 plans.

I wonder how Covid may play into hunter numbers next year. Last year saw very little affect, but this year....? I could make a case for all 3 scenarios.....more western NR hunters, less, or the same. It will be interesting to see if Idaho sees a different result than other states given they are making this change.
I think COVID played a major role this year. I have hunted the same area most of my life, and this year was the busiest I have ever seen it - residents and non-residents both.

Can you show me how you are finding the % of nonresidents in each individual general season hunt?
I attempted but failed to find that particular data set.
I didn't find that either. What I did find is in the Deer management plans where it specifically mentioned the % of NR in a couple units. Some of the units I hunt were among those listed specifically for having very high NR %.

Here is my issue with the cost increase. I would be happy to drop more money and have a tag numbers reduced for the overall benefit of hunting. In the last 11 years I have seen the quality and quantity of deer go down in the unit I hunt. I believe it to be one of the more hunted by NR's. This is now the first year my son will be able to hunt big game in Idaho. It would have cost me just over $1000 to outfit us with both license, deer tag, elk tag, archery permit, fees. It will cost me almost double that. We do not need 2 deer and 2 elk. 1 each is enough for my family. But because of the youth mentor tag rules, he has to hunt with an adult who holds the same tags. So I either have to buy extra tags or my son doesn't get to hunt those species. He is super excited. Idaho is not doing NR youth a favor with these rules. The hardest hit are NR youth mentored tag fees. I thought we were supposed to be trying to get kids more involved??

Here is my issue with the cost increase. I would be happy to drop more money and have a tag numbers reduced for the overall benefit of hunting. In the last 11 years I have seen the quality and quantity of deer go down in the unit I hunt. I believe it to be one of the more hunted by NR's. This is now the first year my son will be able to hunt big game in Idaho. It would have cost me just over $1000 to outfit us with both license, deer tag, elk tag, archery permit, fees. It will cost me almost double that. We do not need 2 deer and 2 elk. 1 each is enough for my family. But because of the youth mentor tag rules, he has to hunt with an adult who holds the same tags. So I either have to buy extra tags or my son doesn't get to hunt those species. He is super excited. Idaho is not doing NR youth a favor with these rules. The hardest hit are NR youth mentored tag fees. I thought we were supposed to be trying to get kids more involved??
Really man! Obviously you didn’t know that is a reason they changed the age limit to 10 right.... I guess non residents only know take and not give with the whining I’m hearing..... must have voted for that other guy that gives all the free stuff to complainers..... get over it, going to keep happening in every state! Rant over
Matt

Really man! Obviously you didn’t know that is a reason they changed the age limit to 10 right.... I guess non residents only know take and not give with the whining I’m hearing..... must have voted for that other guy that gives all the free stuff to complainers..... get over it, going to keep happening in every state! Rant over
Matt
Please. Like I said I don't mind paying my share or more, and have less opportunity. Seems to me the most whining is coming from guys like you. Please tell me what the right thing is do here...take away tags from other hunters or not let my kid hunt?? I do not want the extra tags, I would rather have others who would put them to good use have them. So what free stuff am I asking for all-knowledgeable one??

You have every right not to come to Idaho if you don’t like how the state runs NR hunting.
Please. Like I said I don't mind paying my share or more, and have less opportunity. Seems to me the most whining is coming from guys like you. Please tell me what the right thing is do here...take away tags from other hunters or not let my kid hunt?? I do not want the extra tags, I would rather have others who would put them to good use have them. So what free stuff am I asking for all-knowledgeable one??
I didn’t like the hammer placed on the mentor program.

As my title states, actions by Idaho are against NRs due to residents complaining about hunter numbers.

I see a few NR vehicle plates here and there but I haven’t spoken to one NR on a hill. In fact, I’ve only spoken to one resident on a hill (good guy). It seems the problem now is the ATV races everywhere to road hunt.

If this ID fee increase follows the patterns of all other western states that decrease NR tags and/or increase prices, there will maybe be a slight blip on the screen in the first year. Then, the adjustment to reality happens and it returns back to increased demand.

This change causes me to determine where Idaho will rank on the "value scale" for me and the crew, as I suspect it will do for other non-residents. There is a lot of value in Idaho, even with the increase.

That said, I support ID residents doing what they feel is best for their hunting. That wildlife is held in trust for the citizens of Idaho, not folks like me in Montana or elsewhere. Any non-resident opportunity they share is a bonus above what they are required to provide. Whatever rules or guidelines a state adopts, I decide if it is worth it to me. If not, I can spend my money elsewhere. I don't spend a lot of time fretting about it.

I would expect more non-resident fee increases coming in the next five years. The price sensitivity of non-resident demand seems to be far below current prices are at. I wish it wasn't the case, but I anticipate such to be part of our future.
This.

My big concern is that my favorite WT unit has a high cap. I am afraid that means that those who didn't get their favorite GMU deer tag will come to mine.

You have every right not to come to Idaho if you don’t like how the state runs NR hunting.

I didn’t like the hammer placed on the mentor program.

As my title states, actions by Idaho are against NRs due to residents complaining about hunter numbers.

I see a few NR vehicle plates here and there but I haven’t spoken to one NR on a hill. In fact, I’ve only spoken to one resident on a hill (good guy). It seems the problem now is the ATV races everywhere to road hunt.
For me here in the pretty part of Idaho it is about 50/50 R/NR that I meet in the woods. I-90 and I-84 funnel @neffa3 , @JLS , et. al. right in. They bring whiskey and the don't burn their sh!t in garbage bags. I'll share camp with them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back