Idaho hates NRs.

The area I lived in was just a ton of Private. After almost being shot on a Bear hunt, I decided to be done hunting in PA and did a lot of Bass fishing instead. Thank God, I only had to live there 3 years. I grew up out west, so it's a big difference. Getting back out west was a top priority and glad I did :)
Where I hunt speed goats in Wyoming, I very rarely bump into other hunters other than bird hunters and that's not too bad. Plus I gained permission to hunt on private where most of other hunters stick to the walk in areas.

Where I hunt deer and elk there is a lot of pressure but not too bad in general. The area I hunted elk was bad in one portion of the hunt area but I found other spots where no hunters generally go. Had to end my hunt early due to wife's COVID scare but going back next year and betting they will still go to those areas during pressure.

Colorado was way different. Sometimes you could not set up without at least a dozen hunters walk right by your setup and get between you and your deer or elk that yer watching and bump them.

Back to Idaho, I was surprised by the amount of increases across the board on all of the prices, from access fee to tags. Significant to say the least. When I added it up, it was $927 for otc archery, the same hunt I did this year.

My one point of feedback is that I wish they would have tiered the price of tags between draw and otc, similar to how NM has regular and quality.

Last edited:
I don't do nonresident hunts due to the cost. I am a meat hunter to start with and can't stomach paying sky high prices when I can do the same quality hunts close to where I live. Only exception is I might put in for Colorado plains deer next year because I still have permission on private to hunt and I know how mild that meat is.

Back to Idaho, I was surprised by the amount of increases across the board on all of the prices, from access fee to tags. Significant to say the least. When I added it up, it was $927 for otc archery, the same hunt I did this year.

My one point of feedback is that I wish they would have tiered the price of tags between draw and otc, similar to how NM has regular and quality.
It's a pretty significant jump for sure. I'm interested in what license/tag sales will look like next year. They obviously are trying to cash in on the en vogue nature of bowhunting elk. My bow hasn't come off the hook for several years now, and I'm not sure it will in the near future.

Jacking up the prices to deter hunters... Everyone wants to get more people into hunting, then pull shit like this...

Jacking up the prices to deter hunters... Everyone wants to get more people into hunting, then pull shit like this...
They’ve made it pretty clear up front they may/will be cutting NR tag allocations back, and the increased price will offset the revenue loss.

Yeah, why is there an $81 archery permit fee, but nothing for rifle?? I don’t understand the rationale/justification.

Because, like other states that have also raised fees across the board, the Fish and Game is run like a business. They will get every dollar they can from any extra fees possible. It's has and is becoming even more of a pay to play activity. Only the wealthy will be allowed to participate.

Non resident tags didn’t sell out in a week this year, it took about 8 months in reality. They go on sale December 1 of the prior year.

with the archery/muzzleloader permit price and system IMO it’s a bit of a head scratcher and relic from a couple decades ago prior to the elk tag zone system. When Idaho previously had three elk tag types, which were mountain, regular and panhandle, the archery and muzzleloader permits were buying you extra opportunities over just the any weapon seasons. Now with the zone tag system it’s almost choose your weapon, but not quite. For deer hunting it still is functioning the same as it used to with elk and allowing you to hunt multiple seasons and weapon types. As to the price increases over time, the permits stayed low price($5?) for a long time and I have a feeling a budget/finance guy saw the number of them sold, the low price and saw them as a quick, easy way to increase revenue. Raising them now does take advantage of how “cool” it is right now to archery elk hunt

Very few first time hunters are traveling thousands of miles out of state to go on their first hunt.

Improving resident opportunities are far more important in terms of recruitment. No one is going to stop hunting because a NR idaho elk tag is 10k, they might if a resident tag is $300.

Whitetail hunters typically have a ton of resident opportunity and I feel like they need to think about that in the context of these opportunity conversations.

ID price increase will send me elsewhere next year. Everyone has their own economics and views on the "value" of a hunt. For me WY has the best deal going right now, at least within 1-day travel from WA.

Non resident tags didn’t sell out in a week this year, it took about 8 months in reality. They go on sale December 1 of the prior year.
Yup. And if my memory serves me, they sold out just a few days before draw results were posted, so those that were waiting for unsuccessful draw results before buying an otc tag were SOL.

If this ID fee increase follows the patterns of all other western states that decrease NR tags and/or increase prices, there will maybe be a slight blip on the screen in the first year. Then, the adjustment to reality happens and it returns back to increased demand.

This change causes me to determine where Idaho will rank on the "value scale" for me and the crew, as I suspect it will do for other non-residents. There is a lot of value in Idaho, even with the increase.

That said, I support ID residents doing what they feel is best for their hunting. That wildlife is held in trust for the citizens of Idaho, not folks like me in Montana or elsewhere. Any non-resident opportunity they share is a bonus above what they are required to provide. Whatever rules or guidelines a state adopts, I decide if it is worth it to me. If not, I can spend my money elsewhere. I don't spend a lot of time fretting about it.

I would expect more non-resident fee increases coming in the next five years. The price sensitivity of non-resident demand seems to be far below current prices are at. I wish it wasn't the case, but I anticipate such to be part of our future.

Everything I'm finding (including the email from F&G) only mentions the price increase, and not any tag number changes. Is there another bill other than 330 that changes tag allocations in any way?

Some of the worst overcrowding I've seen has been in Idaho during general seasons. I have a hard time faulting the residents for looking to changes things in some way.
My African hunting pal went on a guided elk hunt in NW Montana about four years ago. The guide actually took him over into Idaho district and Gary said there was a hunter behind every bush. Made him very nervous. He formerly owned a very successful hunting/fishing lodge in NW Ontario for more than twenty years so he knows something of the business. Got his bull but very glad to get away from that sh*tshow.

$650 for an elk tag seems cheap enough. Isn't the Montana NR combo something like $1700? I don't know because I get a special much cheaper deal on the "Come Home to Hunt" package.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back