Grizzly killed in eastern Idaho

Red Fox

Looks like the 22 year old bear that they were talking about on Meateater this spring was shot. Hard to say if they thought it was a black bear or did it just because. Either way I hope they are caught

That’s crazy I hate when people just shoot stuff and leave it lay hopefully they catch them and they get in serious trouble

Hopefully they put these guys away, hard telling what they have already shot

How often do people run into them in the island park area? Going there this next year

There have been more and more grizzlies moving into Island Park. Seems like for the past few years there is at least one grizzly that has to be moved or at least IDFG has to warn folks about.

There have been more and more grizzlies moving into Island Park. Seems like for the past few years there is at least one grizzly that has to be moved or at least IDFG has to warn folks about.
Thanks,
I’ll keep my head and a swivel while we hunt there.

I was wondering if maybe there could have been the possibility of a self-defense situation where they were afraid to report it. I'm certainly not condoning that, but trying to understand possibilities. So while it's possible a rifle was shot at close range in self defense, not the most likely scenario.

How often do people run into them in the island park area? Going there this next year
Years ago when we went to Yellowstone with my then infant son my wife insisted that we stay in the KOA not far from Island Park because she was worried about bears of any kind.
Talking to the lady that was running the campground she told us that we were much more likely to run into bears there as opposed to the "touristy" areas in Yellowstone.

I was wondering if maybe there could have been the possibility of a self-defense situation where they were afraid to report it. I'm certainly not condoning that, but trying to understand possibilities. So while it's possible a rifle was shot at close range in self defense, not the most likely scenario.
If i had to kill a grizz in self defense id keep my mouth shut. Everybody has a right to defend their lives period. Its not a legally granted right. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by reporting it. Youd be guilty unless proven innocent. No way would i put myself through the crap storm that would come from self reporting. Id walk away and feel fine about it, knowing i did nothing wrong defending my life which every creature on this planet has the right to do.

If i had to kill a grizz in self defense id keep my mouth shut. Everybody has a right to defend their lives period. Its not a legally granted right. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by reporting it. Youd be guilty unless proven innocent. No way would i put myself through the crap storm that would come from self reporting. Id walk away and feel fine about it, knowing i did nothing wrong defending my life which every creature on this planet has the right to do.
Great advice if you want to lose your hunting rights in most states for years if IDFG finds out.

My dealings with IDFG has been great, which includes an accidental death of an animal (not grizzly). If they find a dead grizzly shot in what looks like a defensive position, you’ll be fine.

The problems start when someone claims self defense but the wounds show a different story.

Lmao, the last s is always the hardest...

Great advice if you want to lose your hunting rights in most states for years if IDFG finds out.

My dealings with IDFG has been great, which includes an accidental death of an animal (not grizzly). If they find a dead grizzly shot in what looks like a defensive position, you’ll be fine.

The problems start when someone claims self defense but the wounds show a different story.
That's very good to hear. If they're known for being fair and impartial, accepting the realities of the need to err on the side of caution sometimes when it comes to your own life and those you're with, that would make people feel confident reporting. Again, I'm in no way condoning NOT reporting, but understand the feelings of people in this regard.

For the past two years I've been hunting areas known for grizzlies and have thought about it a good bit. While I love seeing all the animals, grizzlies included, it'd be hard to wait until the last second to defend myself if it means giving up the chance of a follow up shot. Yes, I choose to carry a sidearm as that's what I train with and am comfortable with, but if bear spray then I suppose you have to wait until the last second...that is IF you actually have any heads up warning to react.

That's very good to hear. If they're known for being fair and impartial, accepting the realities of the need to err on the side of caution sometimes when it comes to your own life and those you're with, that would make people feel confident reporting. Again, I'm in no way condoning NOT reporting, but understand the feelings of people in this regard.

For the past two years I've been hunting areas known for grizzlies and have thought about it a good bit. While I love seeing all the animals, grizzlies included, it'd be hard to wait until the last second to defend myself if it means giving up the chance of a follow up shot. Yes, I choose to carry a sidearm as that's what I train with and am comfortable with, but if bear spray then I suppose you have to wait until the last second...that is IF you actually have any heads up warning to react.
What you are proposing is illegal. If caught, you will be fined with poaching.

What you are proposing is illegal. If caught, you will be fined with poaching.
I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear, so I'll repeat "I'm in no way condoning NOT reporting". If my grammar is confusing, I'm saying that in no way do I support or agree with NOT reporting. That said, it doesn't mean I can't try to understand people, their motivations and points of view. I find it helpful to have constructive conversations rather than tribal arguments which only raise the ramparts and defenses of both sides, which ultimately benefits no one.

Cheers

Now there has been two found. The first one in the article and the second just off the road by Masa Falls. Looks like the second one was shot from the road. This will not help the case for delisting them and gives hunters a bad name.

In self defense is one thing but neither of these two look like it.

I know two people who have had to kill a griz in separate instances in MT. One of them didn't report it for a few days as they were on their way in on a backpack scouting trip and didn't want to head out before they had a chance to do their scouting. Both shootings were investigated by FWP and USFWS. Both were determined to be self defense shootings. Doesn't sound like the investigation was that big of a deal according to the shooters. The guys that waited a few days to make their report got a bit of a scolding for waiting so long but never got in any kind of trouble. I can't blame the authorities for giving them a bit of a hard time as it was a sow with cubs that they killed along a somewhat popular hiking trail during the busy August hiking season. Good chance those year old cubs would hang out near their dead mother on the trail for awhile putting other hikers in danger. Personally, I think anyone that has a legitimate self defense claim is an idiot if they don't self report.

I know two people who have had to kill a griz in separate instances in MT. One of them didn't report it for a few days as they were on their way in on a backpack scouting trip and didn't want to head out before they had a chance to do their scouting. Both shootings were investigated by FWP and USFWS. Both were determined to be self defense shootings. Doesn't sound like the investigation was that big of a deal according to the shooters. The guys that waited a few days to make their report got a bit of a scolding for waiting so long but never got in any kind of trouble. I can't blame the authorities for giving them a bit of a hard time as it was a sow with cubs that they killed along a somewhat popular hiking trail during the busy August hiking season. Good chance those year old cubs would hang out near their dead mother on the trail for awhile putting other hikers in danger. Personally, I think anyone that has a legitimate self defense claim is an idiot if they don't self report.
Guess im an idiot. Ill be damned if i ask for the government to approve of my defending myself in a life threatening situation. I dont need some cops blessing after the fact. They werent there.

You also dont know what any given game wardens personal agenda is. I had one in washington tell me straight out that he doesnt think people should kill cougars because he thinks theyre beautiful. You want that guy investigating your self defense situation?

Last edited:
Now there has been two found. The first one in the article and the second just off the road by Masa Falls. Looks like the second one was shot from the road. This will not help the case for delisting them and gives hunters a bad name.

In self defense is one thing but neither of these two look like it.
Not sure it hurst delisting. Obvious proof of a decent population.
We’re dealing with a similar situation with the Louisiana Black Bear. Recovery has happened. Now farmers, etc shoot problem bears and stay quiet about it. I’m not a fan of that, but realize some will take matters into their own hands if the government won’t handle it.

Not sure it hurst delisting. Obvious proof of a decent population.
We’re dealing with a similar situation with the Louisiana Black Bear. Recovery has happened. Now farmers, etc shoot problem bears and stay quiet about it. I’m not a fan of that, but realize some will take matters into their own hands if the government won’t handle it.
I hear you but when one is shot from a road in the national forest it has nothing to with anything but wanting to kill it. I would have no problem anyone shooting one in self defense

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back