Idaho deer - First time for everything

Any 3.5 year old buck might be in trouble. 1.5 year old, if I get hungry. Need some camp meat for the two elk hunts that follow back to back after this one. Bringing some antelope steaks, just in case I don't score on a deer. Goal is to have fun, share a great camp, and get a good episode of what it is like to hunt the BLM of Idaho.

Just don't be disappointed with Fin - as picky as I am with antelope, I am almost the opposite with deer. Someone better hold my bullets or we might be eating forkie backstraps the first day.

The ancient Greek philosophers tell us to "know thyself". And Shakespeare says "to thine ownself be true". Glad to see that you are taking their advice to heart!

Hope you have a great adventure.

The full moon we've seen this past month made it difficult finding the big bucks in NV. In 9 days hunting (5 days with and 4 without my help) my friend finally took a buck on the last hour of the last day. Turns out its not as big as it looks in the pic but its well earned.

Here's a picture for inspiration.
2011 NV Dave's Deer.jpg

Good luck on your Idaho deer hunt, the moon phase and cooler weather should be perfect!!!

First morning. 24F and wind art 30+mph. Colder than a #@ore's heart in this wind. Blows the tears out the corner of your eyes.

Have scouted a huge forkie. Probably over 28 inches. Don't want to disappoint people but if he steps in front of the camera, he is dead. I once passed a huge forkie most every morn, while on the AZ Strip. This one is not as big, but very cool.

Other than him, nothing impressive found during scouting. Will give a mid day report.

Huge forkies are cool and make a unique mount. Although, Moosie would be green with envy. He has a soft spot for forkies if I'm not mistaken!

Now I know why he picked this hunt...... I DO believe that TWF has TWO Starbucks and TWO DQs;)

WHAT there are 2 DQ's there........ I'm Leaving sooner then later ;)

Huge forkies are cool and make a unique mount. Although, Moosie would be green with envy. He has a soft spot for forkies if I'm not mistaken!

YAh, Anything that moves with a rack big or small I like.... I've been that way since puberty ;)

First morning. 24F and wind art 30+mph. Colder than a #@ore's heart in this wind. Blows the tears out the corner of your eyes.

Have scouted a huge forkie. Probably over 28 inches. Don't want to disappoint people but if he steps in front of the camera, he is dead. I once passed a huge forkie most every morn, while on the AZ Strip. This one is not as big, but very cool.

Other than him, nothing impressive found during scouting. Will give a mid day report.

Push that cot close to yours, now that I know there is a DQ on the way I'm going to leave a little early from work today.

Something about that area and the wind....Always blowing !! The deer don't seem to mind though. Good luck Fin.

I've got a couple buddies hunting down there. If I get any info that might help I'll shoot you a PM.

Sitting here next to the Grand Poobah, The Big Kahuna, The Chief, The man who started it all. Mr. Moosie. All he could find me tonight was about 25 does. Claims he is saving his best for tomorrow.

The temps were 19F this evening and the wind was howling. Moosie wanted to show how tough he is, so he glassed for over an hour in nothing but a loin cloth while we were bundled like Eskimos. We tried to take a pic, but he would have none of it.

The guy needs his own TV show. But, not a hunting show. He needs something on the Comedy or Redneck Channel. Enjoyed his visit today.

Hope he can scour out a big buck in the morning. Hoping the temps warm up or the wind drops. One is OK, but the combination of the two is too much.

Sorry no pics to post. The connection is too weak to post any. Headed back to camp for some elk backstraps cooked by the world's best camp tender - NV Longbow. Not sure who got the most laughs today, me or Longbow. It was a blast.

Sun is coming up and Moosie is still in the camper, sleeping. Oooops, here he comes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justin.webb
Back