Idaho deer - First time for everything

So, Moosie finds me a heavy old forkie this morning. At the time I am in a quandary about whether our not to shoot this heavy 4X3 with two cheaters on the passenger side G2. After much debate, I decide to pass. Then we go looking for this big forkie Moosie claims to have located. We hike over there and see ........... nothing. We hike around the ridge .......... nothing. Was there really a big forkie there? I think so, but he flew away in the time we screwed around filming the other encounter.

Probably saw fifty deer this morning, but only two bucks of any interest. The wind died down. Thank goodness. Need to relocate the 4X3. With his cheaters, he is a 5X4. Not wide or tall, but a buck I think looks cool. Score would be low, but I really don't care. I like ugly and cool.

Not sure where to go this evening. Hope to find a good one or an ugly one.

"Not sure where to go this evening. Hope to find a good one or an ugly one"

Boy, Who among us has not said that on a Saturday evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL John

Oscar has a habit of spotting phantom game. They are usually heavily antlered.

There have got to be better deer in there...I say keep looking if time allows.

So, Moosie finds me a heavy old forkie this morning. At the time I am in a quandary about whether our not to shoot this heavy 4X3 with two cheaters on the passenger side G2. After much debate, I decide to pass. Then we go looking for this big forkie Moosie claims to have located. We hike over there and see ........... nothing. We hike around the ridge .......... nothing. Was there really a big forkie there? I think so, but he flew away in the time we screwed around filming the other encounter.
Well consider yourself lucky. He's typically sleeping or eating when we are out glassing for game. Then after we finally spot something to go after he will perk up.

At the time I am in a quandary about whether our not to shoot this heavy 4X3 with two cheaters on the passenger side G2.

The wind must of blown all common sense from your skull.:confused: I guess you're lucky i'm not sitting by you or you'd of pulled the trigger or I would of grabbed the gun and shot for you. Someone once told me "Don't pass up the first few days that which you'd shoot on the last." Hmm wonder who that was?

I want to see you wearing a tarsal gland necklace by this time tomorrow and have some good picts of him as well.

So, we head over where we saw the 4X3 this morning. We are creeping along the rock ridden path to our glassing point and Moosie looks out his window and say, "You not interested on those ones up on the ridge?" He's kidding, right?

We stop and get out to see what Moosie is talking about. Lo and behold, twelve deer are out in the open. Hmmm.

We are getting our gear pulled, cameras, tripods, you name it. If nothing else, it would be good footage. While I am organizing my junk, Longbow and Moosie tell me the 4X3 is in the group. I was sure they were jerking my chain. Nope, he is there, rutting hard. I have never seen a buck rutting this early in the year.

I tell the guys we will let them leave the drainage and when they get over the ridge, we will go after them as they head to the basin we have been glassing all morning. It takes a few minutes for us to get organized and in that time, but group disappears out of sight as they head over the saddle.

We are now in hot pursuit. It takes about twenty minutes to get to the saddle. The deer were headed SW. The tracks are easy to follow in the sand and dirt. We get to the ridge and can now see the drainage below us.

I look at the drainage and see nothing. To my left, the entire group is looking at us at about 275 yards. I set up and Longbow is spotting the bucks in the group. The 4X3 is there, surrounded by eleven other deer. I range it and am steady on the bipod.

All I need is for the does to clear. As soon as one clears, another steps in front or behind. Or, the buck is facing away. This hopscotch game goes on for about ten minutes. Finally they are about 400 yards out. I'm not shooting at that range. Too much room for error and a resulting mess.

We watch the deer move east into another drainage where we had seen another hunter earlier. We follow them to the drainage edge. I decide to turn back, leaving this basin for that guy. Unknown to me, the guy had moved down to the bottom of the drainage and later we heard him shoot about a mile from where we had left the deer. I was worried he had shot this buck, but later, found out he had not.

So, no deer, but some great footage. He is a cool looking buck. Nothing huge, but for this hunt, having talked to many other tag holders, I think he is a decent buck. All the other deer hunters have complained that they have seen nothing but young deer.

And, being a guy who likes junk and strange antlers, this one will suffice. Plus, he has already built himself into the story line. As we were leaving the drainage tonight, Longbow noticed some deer a ways east of where we had left the group earlier. We pulled out the spotters and in the final light of the evening, the 4X3 skylined himself to let me know that if I so desired, he is willing to play the game tomorrow.

I think I will take him up on the idea. Not because I am looking for a buck of a lifetime, but this buck is hanging in a cool place and he is a good representative of what you can expect on a hunt that is as easy to draw as this one.

Will follow with another post of pics, if I can get them to load. Need to provide some visual proof that the one and only, Moosie, has been here sharing camp with us. Not sure when we will have a more distinguished camp guest than Mr. Moosie.

Someone once told me "Don't pass up the first few days that which you'd shoot on the last." Hmm wonder who that was?

Moosie says he heard someone say that same thing today, also. Wonder who that was?

Some proof that Moosie was actually here.

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

A few more pics of the last couple days.

I always seem to find these signs.
IMG_1124.JPG

Lots of good glassing spots in this unit. Just need some big bucks to be glassed.
IMG_1129.JPG

Saw 20 does in those drainages last night. Thank God there was no buck in there, or I would have had to scramble down there and possibly pack one out of that hell hole.
IMG_1137.JPG

The 4X3 is within a short distance of where this pic was taken.
IMG_1153.JPG

So like all good friends, Big Fin gives me more credit then i should have. NV LONGBOW deserves credit for his cooking. Holy moly i think ive gained 8 lbs since ive been here. Unfortunately tomorrow duty calls and i have To work again. Fortunately my meeting with the FS isnt untill 3 so im spending the night and hopefully here when Boss Fin kills his buck in the morning.... this past hunt has been a pinnacle hunt for me for sure. Watching Fin talking to some of the D*%$ head locals and keeping his cool was a great learning experience for me. We'll update more in the morning.

Watching Fin talking to some of the D*%$ head locals and keeping his cool was a great learning experience for me.

Sounds like an issue down there. I got a hold of my buddy who had a tag down there last night. He said he ended up shooting a forkie and had some issues but couldn't go into the entire story with his wife and kids in the room. He'll catch me up over a beer in a few days.

Good luck this morning BigFin, hope to see pics of the ugly 4x3 before noon!

Moosie left a few hours ago. A little map, split some firewood, eat lunch and now it is time to go and get him. Jereep had joined us this afternoon. He is always good luck.

This morning was about fifty deer spotted and only one small buck. Very uneventful for what I thought the morning would bring.

Gotta go.

Be interested to see what all this local chit chat is about, why they are being jerks? Cause your filming it?

So, it was another hunter. Not a local guy per say, it was a local Idaho'in. He was mad because he thought they messed up a stalk he was on. He apologized afterwards. I think he realizd there was no Ill intent meant what so ever. Hopefully he went away realizing that.

Let's put all the negative aside though an ALL wish Fin the best of Luck. Can we get 2 pages of GOOD LUCKS !!! before he get's back tonight ?

GOOD LUCK Fella;s !!!!!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back