Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting with Partners - Who Get's the First Shot?

dragginwood

Hey Gents,

Coming out west on a couple hunts this year and bringing along another guy with me on each hunt(a different guy for each hunt). I have been on one hunt in Montana last year and did not harvest an animal. That aside none of us have been out west nor harvested game larger than MI Whitetail.

I'm curious how you guys decide who get the first shot in the event we have an opportunity?

Not to add bias here, but I have been the one to invest the time effort and money. I've bought OnX, GoHunt etc. Done all of the e-scouting, selected the unit and have picked the hunting locations completely independent. Is it unfair or selfish of me of me to expect that having done all the work that I should have first right of refusal in the event an opportunity presents itself? Or should I take it as I'm already ahead because we're hunting my hunt and put the first shot up to a draw or something more democratic?

One exception would be if one guy misses an animal but still has to go look for blood, and then spots another animal. In a hypothetical situation such as this, his hunting partner would be obligated to shoot the second animal.

Miss.jpg

2016Buck1small.jpg

My elk hunting group hunts as a team. We alternate calling, but whoever gets the first makeable shot on the elk takes it. Nobody gets their feelings hurt because someone got a shot or someone didn't. If you approach the whole hunt as "we are a team" and our goal is to get everyone an animal, I think you hunt better and have more fun!

The best advice is to make sure you discuss it and agree well in advance.

Also, throw in as many "what ifs" as you can.

Sometimes I've alternated days with the guy hunting with me, sometimes for a newer hunting we hunted until they filled their tag first.

With elk in dark timber, it is generally whoever has the best shot. I've been standing 10 yards away from my buddy when one of us couldn't even see the elk. Whoever has the shot needs to take it as long as they have a tag.

Sharing the meat in some sort of equitable fashion no matter who actually pulls the trigger also makes the shot rotation less of an issue.

My 2 cents. Nathan

I work in teams when I have a partner. One is the caller/spotter and the other prepares to shoot. For elk, the caller is behind the hunter and does the calls and makes the noise with the brush to draw attention away from the hunter. Who does what, we flip a coin to start with. Sometimes though, if the hunter don't want what shows up, the spotter then takes it.

We hunt as a team as well. Everyone I hunt with has harvested animals so first shot goes to the guy with the longest drought when we are together. Otherwise, whoever sees it gets right of first refusal.

I don’t bow hunt, so I can’t speak to the caller/shooter situation, but I strongly agree with Nathan that you need to thoroughly talk with your partners about it beforehand. If, because of your hard work putting this hunt together, you expect to be first shooter, you should say so to them. My guess is they’ll agree with you.

Hey Gents,

Coming out west on a couple hunts this year and bringing along another guy with me on each hunt(a different guy for each hunt). I have been on one hunt in Montana last year and did not harvest an animal. That aside none of us have been out west nor harvested game larger than MI Whitetail.

I'm curious how you guys decide who get the first shot in the event we have an opportunity?

Not to add bias here, but I have been the one to invest the time effort and money. I've bought OnX, GoHunt etc. Done all of the e-scouting, selected the unit and have picked the hunting locations completely independent. Is it unfair or selfish of me of me to expect that having done all the work that I should have first right of refusal in the event an opportunity presents itself? Or should I take it as I'm already ahead because we're hunting my hunt and put the first shot up to a draw or something more democratic?
We do first one that spots it gets the call. He can pass or shoot. We also switch days when someone is calling and the other gets the chance, if it comes, to make the shot. Sometimes like said above if everyone is working as a team it shouldn't matter. I've had moments though when I was a younger hunter and I felt I was competing against my hunting partner to get first shot and ended up rushing the shot and missing. He missed as well though so that made me feel better.

I agree with Oak and Nathan. But make sure you agree before stepping out of the truck.
My elk hunting buddy and I really don't care who takes the first shot. After the first shot, then it's the others turn.
We split the meat down the middle, and we've killed a couple, so it's all good either way on the first attempt.

I agree with Oak and Nathan. But make sure you agree before stepping out of the truck.
My elk hunting buddy and I really don't care who takes the first shot. After the first shot, then it's the others turn.
We split the meat down the middle, and we've killed a couple, so it's all good either way on the first attempt.

I prefer to split the meat too. If I were hunting with you I would go the same way I do now but sometimes I can’t go to full draw without spooking the elk or deer so I have an arrangement that if I freeze and don’t shoot my partner takes the shot.

Flip a coin as hunt begins. Winner of flip gets dibs all day until shoots. If does not shoot when animal is spotted, the other hunter can shoot. Dibs stays with first hunter all day if does not shoot and passes to other hunter the next day. If the hunter with dibs shoots, dibs shifts to other hunter until shoots or through end of the next day. If shoots, dibs passes to other hunter until shoots or through the rest of the next day. On last day of hunt, new rules. Dibs passes with each glassing of a legal animal capable of a stalk. I never hunt with more than one person. If a shot is made, the hunter not shooting is ready for follow-up shot is shooter does not obviously make a hit with first shot. This presumes each have a valid tag unpunched. Meat is split.

In my group, we split all the meat along with chores, expenses and food so I personally don’t care if my partners shoot first. I will always yield to my partner if he wants it even if it was a massive 6- or 7- point bull.

Lope hunter has the best system for non family hunts. If you invite someone hunting they should get first dibs. Why would you invite someone you wouldn't be happy seeing them succeed?

Often we are in a jumpshooting situation so if you have a shot, take it.

On a spot and stalk hunt if you spot it you get first refusal. But emphasize you can't over rule some one else making an attempt unless it is a bad set up.

i try to make sure newcomers experience the best possible outcome. IMO, seeing an appreciative plebe, whether friend or family, succeed is what it’s all about. As far as a hunting peer, we keep it simple and fun..or if it’s a consecutive year we alternate. Most of the time we aren’t in the same spot til dark anyway.

With dad and I it's typically been who spots it first. This year we've made a pact that whoever gets the first shot opportunity. Our goal is simply to fill at least one tag lol. Plus I think that's a better strategy with archery elk since opportunity is likely to be limited.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back