Hunting with Partners - Who Get's the First Shot?

The person who spotted it gets the right of first refusal. My hunting circle isn't large, everyone is on the same page. Just make sure your group is aligned ahead of time.

My team has more of a problem with being too generous with animals. Our fights go more like this "you shoot it", "no, you should really shoot that" instead of "hey that's my shot". We've bungled a couple opportunities because of this.

I mostly hunt with family. We normally hunt the same mountain but different ridges or draws. If you see it, you shoot it.

I totally agree with NHY exception. A new hunter or youngster should be give the right of first refusal and then talked into it, when they take that right.

One exception would be if one guy misses an animal but still has to go look for blood, and then spots another animal. In a hypothetical situation such as this, his hunting partner would be obligated to shoot the second animal.

View attachment 108897

View attachment 108898

Looks like a fantastic situation to be in. If you're looking for someone to play back-up next year give me a call. That is a dandy buck.

The person who spotted it gets the right of first refusal. My hunting circle isn't large, everyone is on the same page. Just make sure your group is aligned ahead of time.

My team has more of a problem with being too generous with animals. Our fights go more like this "you shoot it", "no, you should really shoot that" instead of "hey that's my shot". We've bungled a couple opportunities because of this.

We are the same way when it comes to shots, "you should really shoot that one", "no you should, you let me shoot the last one." I will hear that at least a couple times this season.

When I was younger we would take a trip every year for at least a week for rifle hunting deer, during the archery season for elk, we would set up different shots walking out after a day of hunting and bet the first shot on it. First shot would change often during archery season and then when we get there we would rotate the shot, Monday I would, Tuesday the buddy would, and back and forth.

Last edited:
With the right person, going out in pairs with a hunting partner really helps especially in archery. I always like to make sure we know who is the shooter and who is the caller/bird dog basically. If you attempted to do that on the fly, you might lose out on a good shot. My partner I used to hunt with in Meeker, Colorado would refuse to shoot. Well he did it on a 6x7 bull and told me to take it. I could not get to full draw fast enough and lost the shot because that dang bull was focused in on me and I had no way of getting it into this guy's dense head. Plus I think he was more of a beginner because he was talking while I was calling. That itself is a no-no. It's best to come to an agreement before you start the stalk. Once you setup, it's kind of too late.

We are the same way when it comes to shots, "you should really shoot that one", "no you should, you let me shoot the last one." I will hear that at least a couple times this season.

When I was younger we would take a trip every year for at least a weak for rifle hunting deer, during the archery season for elk, we would set up different shots walking out after a day of hunting and bet the first shot on it. First shot would change often during archery season and then when we get there we would rotate the shot, Monday I would, Tuesday the buddy would, and back and forth.

This for big game. For birds, it's a free fire zone. If you pull a bead on it, go for it. I'll try and be faster than you.

I think laying out expectations before you get in the field is the right advice. I'd also say that if you're counting dollars invested as a way to justify your going first, you may want to rethink the relationship with those folks, since it's already off to a shaky start. That kind of resentment builds after a while, and resentment leads to conflict. Best to have a clear understanding before you set out so there's not in-fightng later.

This for big game. For birds, it's a free fire zone. If you pull a bead on it, go for it. I'll try and be faster than you.

I think laying out expectations before you get in the field is the right advice. I'd also say that if you're counting dollars invested as a way to justify your going first, you may want to rethink the relationship with those folks, since it's already off to a shaky start. That kind of resentment builds after a while, and resentment leads to conflict. Best to have a clear understanding before you set out so there's not in-fightng later.

Except one problem, and not meaning to be rude or disrespectful, if you try to shoot an animal that I set up for and went to full draw on, you would no longer be hunting with me. I would go somewhere else. When you use the partner system, especially for archery, the only way it works is one designated shooter and one designated caller. This is for elk. Deer and antelope require different yet similar tactics. But you are right on your last statement, you need to have an agreement on what system you use before you start the stalk or hard feelings will exist and possibly destroy a hunting partnership.

Totally agree w/ you.

My point on free fire was just for birds, not big game. Most of my hunting partners are notoriously generous with the first shot. I had one guy who hadn't shot a deer in 25 years keep telling me that I should shoot the big whitetail buck standing in front of him. I finally hit him and shoot the f#$%ing thing now or it's walking. :)

My best bull was killed at first light on opening day when my Brother In Law turned down first shot. He ended up being skunked that year.

Just make sure your group’s understanding is clear before the animal has been sighted. I know a good many hunting partnerships have been ruined over these types of disagreements.

Totally agree w/ you.

My point on free fire was just for birds, not big game. Most of my hunting partners are notoriously generous with the first shot. I had one guy who hadn't shot a deer in 25 years keep telling me that I should shoot the big whitetail buck standing in front of him. I finally hit him and shoot the f#$%ing thing now or it's walking. :)

LOL I am not a bird hunter. Except for predators, rodents and similar varmints, I will not shoot anything I will not eat. This thread refers mainly to big game. I should qualify this though, I love and will shoot pheasants and turkey and in that case, if he is in both of your shooting lanes then you both can shoot it. For safety though, bird hunters should know safe limits which I am sure you do.

For me it’s going to depend on the situation. Since I live in MT and have killed multiple animals of most species if I am hunting with someone who is on their first hunt or hasn’t been successful they are shooting first each time all the time and I will only back them up.

However, if I am planning a trip to a place I have never been for an animal I haven’t killed and have been the one to organize the trip and borne the costs of preparation then I’m going to be shooting first unless it’s a really good friend and we have a history of hunting together.

It’s pretty easy to find yourself in a place with people you don’t normally hunt with who are gung ho to let you do all the work and then expect you to let them shoot the elk. If that’s the case on this hunt you may as well shoot first because after this trip you probably won’t want to hunt with them again.

Im an archer so my take is a bit different who ever has the shot takes it because if my partner lets it pass it may not give me a shot so we hunt by the rules if its a make able shot and you like the animal take the shot IM always happy when someone gets to punch their tag
just not quite as happy as me punching a tag lol. kidding guys

Haha, we have had the same issue. I remember having 4 guys aiming at one bear and after what seemed like forever someone whispered, "well somebody better shoot".

We usually go with the person that spots the animal has the shot.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. We drew the unit I wanted. We'll be camping at a site I find. We'll be hunting the hills and draws I scout. However, one of the guys is a teacher and will only get to hunt opening weekend so I'll probably let him take the first shot.

When I hunt with others, I always defer shot opportunities. I get a lot of enjoyment from seeing someone else stalk, set up, and shoot an animal. Nearly all the people I hunt with are of this same mind. When I am the one pulling the trigger, I insist that others in my group also get a photo with the downed animal - it is just as much theirs as mine since we worked together to make it happen. For me, the killing aspect is less than 1% of the total hunting experience anyways, so there are far more important things to negotiate when hunting as a group (which area to hunt, strategy, tactics, when to start/hang it up, etc.).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back