Hunting season preparations, what did you do today?

Packing my day pack for antelope hunting. I always seem to forget something. Least I got my licenses in the pack this time. I forgot my deer license way back in 2009 and had to make a trip into Gillette and get a duplicate. We were in the middle of nowhere and a game warden showed up. Glad I didn't knock anything down yet. All I need to load now is food for the day and clean socks. Two weeks to retirement and next day is antelope.

Washed all my clothes and put it in the scent free tote for the car ride west. Plugged in my Anker Extra charger To top off. About 48 hours until we are on the road. The snow forecasted for tonight into Wednesday is making Me rethink some gear, but I’m mostly worried about travel in the mountains.

Three mile run this morning. My phone tracked me at a 9:50/mile average pace, which is the first time I've been under ten in a while. Nothing special in the world of running, but it keeps the afib away, and I know I'm doing something about my overall fitness.

Twice through our weight-lifting circuit with my son. Again, nothing special, but we're basically working on joint stability, balance, and agility.

I'd really love to do some shooting and load development this afternoon, but apparently I'm supposed to go to a Labor Day BBQ shindig. Don't they know that if I don't get ready for hunting season, there won't be any meat to barbecue next year for Labor Day?

QQ

Started pulling my gear together for Saturday’s bow opener and helped my favorite hunting buddy get on target.

Last edited:
Cleaned my reloading room, went for a 5 mile hike and seasoned a new wall tent wood stove. Counting down for season.

I started running again in the spring. Set myself the goal of being able to run 3 miles regularly. I had to work up to it for a while and just when I got there, I broke a toe. Walked into my son's room in the dark and kicked a 5 pound weight that was sitting in the middle of his floor. It sounded like snapping a twig. Anyways, I haven't been able to run for about a month and have only done some bike riding to try to not lose where I was. Today, I woke up kind of fired up and feeling like maybe I could try a run. Maybe it wouldn't hurt too bad and I could start building back up. Surprise! It didn't hurt at all and I ran 3 miles like it was nuthin.' I could have run more. Nice to know I didn't completely atrophy!

Did another bike ride. This one was tough, about 4k feet of vertical. I’m smoked and will be a little sore tomorrow. The descent was awesome, but the moon dust is getting incredibly thick.
D5226620-8A93-4AF1-A977-EBB7E6CC5FE3.jpeg

Well my prep today was... well was wishing I still had another elk to punch..

Hiked up the mountain again with the mutt. Only 2-3 times more as I leave next Thursday. Noticing that I am not pushing as hard, worried about getting injured last minute, twisting an ankle or something foolish.
Spent an hour this evening staring at the pile on the spare bedroom floor wondering what I can leave at home. Shaved a couple ounces, maybe.
23A40F83-04FB-4E20-8C50-0CD838A82124.jpeg

Started clearing trails. Have two more that I can do from the truck. After that I will have to saddle up. I have horses yet to shoe and some fine tuning on summer dispositions. A month of trail clearing and I will be in the right mood for hunting elk.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back