Hunting season preparations, what did you do today?

Went down to check on the new tank & give Rio a run. Thing is almost up to my most ambitious expectation of how much a small amount of water can add up....in a very dry NM summer. Cool.
Fresh tracks and wet small bull pile was also cool. Looked like he had been rubbing in the broom snakeweed. Been no bugles yet,maybe late rut is rumor....................

Went down to check on the new tank & give Rio a run. Thing is almost up to my most ambitious expectation of how much a small amount of water can add up....in a very dry NM summer. Cool.
Fresh tracks and wet small bull pile was also cool. Looked like he had been rubbing in the broom snakeweed. Been no bugles yet,maybe late rut is rumor....................
They’ve been bugling in Wyoming. More bulls starting to show up with the cows every day.

Just got in from a 3 mile hike with a 45# pack in Texas (101 with a feels like of 111). We are sea level basically and I can't simulate the elevation but the heat and humidity will try to break your spirits for sure.

The gear pile got taller today. Almost all of the dry/canned foodstuffs are on hand and boxed.

Mrs kansasdad found BigHunk candy bars at the Denton TX Buccees today........pretty excited about that. Big Hunk and Bit O' Honey's are good for hot weather hunts, as there is no chocolate to melt.

I opened up my fathers "safari box" that holds some fantastic smells and memories from our time living in Kenya. That salt/pepper/oil/soot smell is amazing. Decided which dishwashing, food prep items and utensils to bring from the box.....some of them just for old times sake. Put a good soapy scrub on them and enjoyed the walk down memory lane.

Now I need to figure out if I want to bring the box itself, or just a bit of its contents.

401F68B9-A7EC-4DE9-B693-5C839D4B005A.jpeg
I always enjoy seeing the horse worming medication bottles dad turned into salt and pepper shakers. And the old school honey container that now holds the powdered dishwashing soap

98A676DA-FA8D-4459-AD00-E5DB0DE52B9F.jpegC7557C7D-4C23-4113-83FB-600D5DB0176E.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent a couple days on Mt Grafton Wilderness getting to know the area better for mulie season. The whole area where we were was covered in elk/deer sign. We'll be back there again over Labor Day, hope to actually see some critters this time.

Smoked, Dehydrated & oven cooked some Elk & Deer jerky for the upcoming season. Scoured Google earth while waiting for the jerky. Can't wait for the 8th, the first hunt of the season for me.

I might have to try the MH biscuits & gravy and granola.
For dinner I really like MH chicken and mashed potatoes.
This isn’t all the dinners I’m still working out breakfast and lunch. The biscuits and gravy are my favorite just needs more pepper. I like the granola; I was going to do oatmeal but these have a lot more calories. Got peak fuel meals coming.

Tried making a fire in the rain without a propellant. Ended up making more smoke than flames. Thankfully there were enough coals for the kids to make s’mores.

But no joke my 4 year old looks at me making the fire and goes “Dad where is your man card?” in a serious, concerned tone. Somehow my wife caught it on camera. And I just know that’ll be showing up plenty more times over the next few decades. 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back