Ski season preparations, what did you do 2 weeks ago?

Speaking of trees...
F &$k tree runs.
free fall glade at copper mtn is a pos.
how are you even supposed to do that?

Speaking of trees...
F &$k tree runs.
free fall glade at copper mtn is a pos.
how are you even supposed to do that?
Gotta get faster at transferring weight edge to edge and initiating turns.

You are on hard pack so in those tight turning conditions it’s more of a 70-30 weighting of each foot, with 70 being on the downhill foot.

Typically people are tentative, and push their skis away from them down the hill, this makes it hard to turn quickly, your feet should be right underneath your hips, knees bent with your shins pressed hard into the tongues of your boots. This allows you to transfer energy to the ski and turn more rapidly.

This is decent...

Typically people are tentative, and push their skis away from them down the hill, this makes it hard to turn quickly, your feet should be right underneath your hips, knees bent with your shins pressed hard into the tongues of your boots. This allows you to transfer energy to the ski and turn more rapidly
But doesn’t this mean that you’re gonna have to be hauling a little ass?

When I’m going down a run like that I feel like I understand what I need to do, somewhat, but I feel like shifting into the forward position and actually doing it is gonna take me to a level of downward velocity that I’m not comfortable with.
but I’m trying to get there lol

Basically while your going up on the chairlift think lifting your knees up. It works well on a bump run. As you go up lift your knees and make your skis follow the troughs of the bumps. Like you're skiing around each mogul. When your skiis are straight you drop your knees. When your skis go around the bump you lift your knees. Basically watch a mogul skier ski bumps to see what I mean. You'll notice their head doesn't go up or down much. Then you apply that to glade(tree) runs. Once you learn how it makes it easier to stop when you're in tight runs/bumps/trees.

Dude tell me about it.
After getting my tent set up today I had
just enough time to run up to solitude and take a few laps and man, for a Midwestern blue run dork like me that place would be a vibe if there was just a little bit more snow :(
To a man who doesn’t know what he’s doing or talking about the terrain off eagle ridge looked badass if it was covered up a little more.

solitude doesn’t make snow though, right?
so the other resorts might have better groomers?

I’ve got a week left in my road trip.
you guys know if it’s snowing anywhere else?
I could pick up and move 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 169379

Good observation! Solitudes snow making equipment broke early season, not sure if they got it fixed yet.

I’ve got no firsthand knowledge of regions with better snowpack.

Secondhand knowledge is Pacific Northwest has received 10’ in past month.

Maybe see what sun valley holds?

But doesn’t this mean that you’re gonna have to be hauling a little ass?

When I’m going down a run like that I feel like I understand what I need to do, somewhat, but I feel like shifting into the forward position and actually doing it is gonna take me to a level of downward velocity that I’m not comfortable with.
but I’m trying to get there lol
It feels counter intuitive, but it’s like rock climbing, if you press yourself against the mountain you have way less grip, skiing if you lean forward you have more control and can go slower.

For the record every time I do trees on a snowboard I have to remind myself the same thing.

This is my local "hill", who ever took this picture must have a sick IG because that angle makes it look 2x bigger.

*Insert joke about watching your dog run away for days*

1024px-Blackstrap%2C_Saskatchewan.jpg

Sweet content brohem, can't wait for some bitchen cliff drop footy
That's what I looked like on Sunday.

We did our first ski tour...skinned up to the top of our local hill before the lift was going. That beat me up. I've never skiied such light powder skis and I did not do well trying to control them. Learned that no matter how much you think your boots fit once you start climbing you will find where your boots are tight or rub. I didn't have hot spots but my boots are definitely too narrow so they get a ride to the shop to be fitted again.

That's what I looked like on Sunday.

We did our first ski tour...skinned up to the top of our local hill before the lift was going. That beat me up. I've never skiied such light powder skis and I did not do well trying to control them. Learned that no matter how much you think your boots fit once you start climbing you will find where your boots are tight or rub. I didn't have hot spots but my boots are definitely too narrow so they get a ride to the shop to be fitted again.
I feel you I have been using my dad's old tele boots, totally fine for downhill travel... epically painful after 45 min of uphill.

Light skis definitely require a style change, though I do enjoy them a lot.

I feel you I have been using my dad's old tele boots, totally fine for downhill travel... epically painful after 45 min of uphill.

Light skis definitely require a style change, though I do enjoy them a lot.
These are a touch longer than I should have purchased but thought that being fat and generally strong enough to overpower they would be ok. We don't have enough powder (barely enough snow on the groomers) to give them the full test but rumor of the vortex collapse has me hoping for some in a week or 2.

skiing if you lean forward you have more control and can go slower.
This. Leaning back puts you out of control.

I haven't downhill skied in years. I sure miss the feeling when you hit the rhythm and you just fall from turn to turn.

I quit when the lift ticket hit $8.50/day. Season passes used to be 20x the day rate, we'd all set our school schedules for a tuesday or thursday off and ski every day we could, 40+ days a year. They sold out and now a season pass is $1,000 and this year parking is $40/day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back