Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Camp/Wall Tent Questions

Might consider a Jumping Jack trailer/pop-up canvas tent. You'd be towing something, which might not appeal to you, but you barely feel it back there. Plus, you can take the tent out of it and use it as a utility trailer. Super easy setup and takedown. Throw a Mr. Buddy heater in there and it's pretty cozy. Just a thought...and an alternative to a wall tent or other large tent.

My bad, disregard. I think I missed the point of what you were really wanting, and it sounds like you've made a selection that's on the way. Hope it works out well for ya!

Last edited:
@Adamhuntingstuff we made a similar move a few years ago. Cabelas Big Horn III tent. Sleeps 3 easy with wood stove, could squeeze in a 4th, setup in 15-20 minutes solo. Weighs 80lbs and the whole thing fits in large Rubbermaid tote, doesnt take up too much space in truck. I've used it solo and it's indeed palatial then. 😁

Not available online but can sometimes find them in store in Cabelas, or used, otherwise you'd have to get Alaknak.

I do wish we had the vestibule for it.

View attachment 281862

View attachment 281863

For meals we just prepare everything in advance, vac seal, and freeze it. At camp toss sealed bags in large pot of boiling water and eat straight out of the bag, no dishes to clean up.

Got tent, stove, Rubbermaid bin, all of it for under $400 at estate sale...wish you the same luck in your search!
Wish I was at that sale great buy

Has anyone tried using a 3d printer to make connectors for a wall tent frame?

Howdy. Im from Indiana and have been hunting out west (Utah and Montana) for the last 3 years. It is awesome. I have missed an Elk, Killed a mule deer buck, missed some turkeys with a bow, and had an overall awesome time making trips out west. I have a couple questions for all of you guys who are much smarter and more experienced than I am.

Last year we all got the needed gear to do 1 or 2 nights backpack hunting. That worked out great, but it is clear to me that we need a better tent setup than individual backpacking tents. Most places that we have gone in Utah and Montana had a lot of guys in campers and wall tents. I think I want to go that direction and I am not pulling a camper out west (Again) so it seems like a wall tent might be the move. Obviously once I go that route it means I will need to bring all kinds of other stuff with it. I think the prospect of being able to hang out in a dry heated area at night with the guys would be worth it. My questions for you guys are these:

1. Any good camp meal/cocktail ideas or traditions?

2. Can you guys share some pictures of your wall tent setup inside and outside?

3. How many guys are you typically sleeping in one tent?

4. Does anybody have a spare wall tent that they want to sell?
I pack into the backcountry, as I have horses and mules. I used to have a quality canvas wall tent that was 14 x 17 feet. It was huge in both set up size, but more importantly, huge and super heavy rolled up. So much so, it was hard to pack in. I didn't have an internal frame, as that would make it even heavier.
I went online, and ordered a Ozark Trail 10' x 12' wall tent with an internal frame. It's not canvas. What's good about it? Well, it's not the highest quality, but I paid $420 for it, and that's about 1/3 of a quality wall tent. It suits my needs and has a stovejack, which you'll want. The floor is heavy rubberized too, so good there. Frankly, it's a pretty good bargain as it's not exactly low quality. Then, I bought a white cotton Bell style tent last Summer that's 12' in diameter and super easy/fast to set up. Great for two people, and also has a stove jack. It only weighs 44 lbs and packs fine.
If you're tailgate camping, most anything will work, as you have the ability to haul it in a truck. If you envision it being used by your buddies to hang out in, you may want to get a larger one. A lot depends on whether you want to pay big money and perhaps a hefty shipping cost too?

Has anyone tried using a 3d printer to make connectors for a wall tent frame?
No. That's just inviting a disaster.

I don't think you realize how much strain and load is on those connections. Add a heavy rain fly, wet side walls, some snow on the roof and then you'll understand why the connectors are steel. I 3d print pole bottoms to protect the sod cloth, that's about as sporty as I'm willing to get.

It's a lot to deal with, but we enjoy it. We also have people that can't hunt much but still love being at camp. elk camp 5.jpgElk Camp 1.jpgelk camp 3.jpg
elk-camp-2-jpg.306645

Attachments

• Elk Camp 2.jpg
    Elk Camp 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 83
I pack into the backcountry, as I have horses and mules. I used to have a quality canvas wall tent that was 14 x 17 feet. It was huge in both set up size, but more importantly, huge and super heavy rolled up. So much so, it was hard to pack in. I didn't have an internal frame, as that would make it even heavier.
I went online, and ordered a Ozark Trail 10' x 12' wall tent with an internal frame. It's not canvas. What's good about it? Well, it's not the highest quality, but I paid $420 for it, and that's about 1/3 of a quality wall tent. It suits my needs and has a stovejack, which you'll want. The floor is heavy rubberized too, so good there. Frankly, it's a pretty good bargain as it's not exactly low quality. Then, I bought a white cotton Bell style tent last Summer that's 12' in diameter and super easy/fast to set up. Great for two people, and also has a stove jack. It only weighs 44 lbs and packs fine.
If you're tailgate camping, most anything will work, as you have the ability to haul it in a truck. If you envision it being used by your buddies to hang out in, you may want to get a larger one. A lot depends on whether you want to pay big money and perhaps a hefty shipping cost too?
I sure can appreciate your desire to hang out in a dry tent after a long cold day of hunting. I can't give you specifics on tent manufacturers etc..., but I can offer what a group of four very experienced hunters from PA do when they hunt the 3rd season in CO. They drive out in two full size four door 4x4 trucks each with a camper shell with all their stuff which includes: Two equal size canvas wall tents, one for sleeping with cots and one for cooking, eating and hanging out. Small wood stoves in each tent. One truck carries all the cooking supplies, stoves, ice chests, food and a medium size freezer converted to DC for the four cow elk they usually harvest. One truck carries a portable john that they place far away from camp. Having two tents provide some individual separation plus having the food etc in one tent away from where they sleep (10-15 ft. provides a sense of security from a mid-night visit from a bear. They also secure a cover for shade/snow/rain between the two tents. This too provides a good place to hang out. Usually, the four guys would split up in two's driving separate trucks for the daily hunt which was usually only a short drive from camp. They would communicate via text. Once one hunter gets a cow, the four would all work together to quarter/debone it for the freezer truck. Then repeat their hunting for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cow. PM me if you'd like more details about location if CO suits your party.

No. That's just inviting a disaster.

I don't think you realize how much strain and load is on those connections. Add a heavy rain fly, wet side walls, some snow on the roof and then you'll understand why the connectors are steel. I 3d print pole bottoms to protect the sod cloth, that's about as sporty as I'm willing to get.
There are actually several types of filament (carbon fiber composite, comes to mind) that may be up to the task. I do have an idea of the strains involved having set up wall tents and tipis in the Rockies for 40+ years. Only way to really know is to try it.

There are actually several types of filament (carbon fiber composite, comes to mind) that may be up to the task. I do have an idea of the strains involved having set up wall tents and tipis in the Rockies for 40+ years. Only way to really know is to try it.
Nothing wrong with innovation, good on you!

I'd imagine you'd have to keep the wall thicknes under 0.0897 in order to keep the O.D. small enough that the canvas doesn't snag on the connectors. Specialty filaments have come a long way in the last 2-3 years and it's only going to get better.

Might consider a Jumping Jack trailer/pop-up canvas tent. You'd be towing something, which might not appeal to you, but you barely feel it back there. Plus, you can take the tent out of it and use it as a utility trailer. Super easy setup and takedown. Throw a Mr. Buddy heater in there and it's pretty cozy. Just a thought...and an alternative to a wall tent or other large tent.

My bad, disregard. I think I missed the point of what you were really wanting, and it sounds like you've made a selection that's on the way. Hope it works out well for ya!
I think going with a trailer is the way to if you plan to camp near a trail head or by a road. I've done both. A dual axil trailer with a full size truck is pretty easy to pull and safe if you don't drive over 65-70 mph. The truck carries all your hunting gear and the trailer contains all your food and a dry place to hang out; and, with a generator all the conveniences of home. After a long wet and cold day of hunting a trailer is so convenient. Heater, microwave, frig. So much easier than a tent set up...my opinion! Focus your efforts on the hunt not the camp. If I too missed your point, my bad, but I couldn't help but give you my two cents. Good luck

I have the exact same Alaknak setup as WildWill and it has been great. It can get a little tight for more than 2-3 people, but we've had as many as 6. And so far it has stood up to some pretty hellacious storms, snow and wind, that flattened other tents - the center pole got a little warped one time on the high Wyoming prairie, but other than that, it's all been good.

I have the exact same Alaknak setup as WildWill and it has been great. It can get a little tight for more than 2-3 people, but we've had as many as 6. And so far it has stood up to some pretty hellacious storms, snow and wind, that flattened other tents - the center pole got a little warped one time on the high Wyoming prairie, but other than that, it's all been good.
That is my point!! The Alaknak may be a great tent, but "it can get a little tight with 2-3 people". Doesn't sound comfortable or convenient. Sleeping on a cot and sitting in a chair for each hunter in a tent, stove/wood, plus some type of tables for food and for cooking, stove, propane, ice chests, boxes for food, hanger for hanging dry and wet clothes
... all takes room. It goes on and on as you can see in the pics. ( Outstanding tent set-ups.... I'm not taking anything away from the tent, these set-ups look really good). All that stuff can fill up a truck fast and hunters often use a trailer for this. That's my point, rental trailers are available all over the west. If you have the money to buy ALL that camping gear in the pictures and have the TIME to set up the tent (s), will you have time and energy to hunt?

Back