Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Camp/Wall Tent Questions

For reference the above photo is a Toyota Tacoma. Maybe with a full size truck you could get all your gear in the bed but if you’re wanting to come with a few guys I don’t see how you avoid a trailer for gear with all their gear too. And if you’re gonna pull a trailer just pull a camper? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also setup was prly around 30 minutes with me and my wife.

Front tent is a 20x12 with 5 ft side walls with a door each end. The back tent is a 14x16 with 4 ft side walls with door on one end and a window on the other. We use this setup September through November. We sleep good and eat good we have had 6 guys staying there but it a bit tight if you have the wood stoves in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220917_120448869.jpg
    IMG_20220917_120448869.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220917_120438173.jpg
    IMG_20220917_120438173.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220920_142513702.jpg
    IMG_20220920_142513702.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20191214_114518669.jpg
    IMG_20191214_114518669.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20191214_114504545.jpg
    IMG_20191214_114504545.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Awesome pic! Do you have any condensation or bottom wall splash back/staining issues with the tarp (fly) not having any over hang?
I haven’t had any issues, but I think the tarp may just not be fully secured in that photo. I think I snapped that while setting up. We did go through a very heavy rainstorm on that hunt and everything held up great.

Front tent is a 20x12 with 5 ft side walls with a door each end. The back tent is a 14x16 with 4 ft side walls with door on one end and a window on the other. We use this setup September through November. We sleep good and eat good we have had 6 guys staying there but it a bit tight if you have the wood stoves in.
I really wanted to love your post but the brussel sprouts within viewing distance of some fine red meat on the grill.... hard no.

Howdy. Im from Indiana and have been hunting out west (Utah and Montana) for the last 3 years. It is awesome. I have missed an Elk, Killed a mule deer buck, missed some turkeys with a bow, and had an overall awesome time making trips out west. I have a couple questions for all of you guys who are much smarter and more experienced than I am.

Last year we all got the needed gear to do 1 or 2 nights backpack hunting. That worked out great, but it is clear to me that we need a better tent setup than individual backpacking tents. Most places that we have gone in Utah and Montana had a lot of guys in campers and wall tents. I think I want to go that direction and I am not pulling a camper out west (Again) so it seems like a wall tent might be the move. Obviously once I go that route it means I will need to bring all kinds of other stuff with it. I think the prospect of being able to hang out in a dry heated area at night with the guys would be worth it. My questions for you guys are these:

1. Any good camp meal/cocktail ideas or traditions?

2. Can you guys share some pictures of your wall tent setup inside and outside?

3. How many guys are you typically sleeping in one tent?

4. Does anybody have a spare wall tent that they want to sell?
Not sure what your budget is, SCHEELS offers a Montana Canvas w/Frame 12×14. Been looking at it myself. Also considered a Big Agnes from SCHEELS as well. Might be worth taking a gander at.

This is going to be my 11 th year in camp with CPO and we have had two different set ups. First was a surplus GP small tent with an arctic liner and a pot belly stove. That tent was crazy heavy, a PITA to put up and the stove ate wood....but the with the liner it retained heat. 4 folks fit snugly. Several years ago we upgraded to a 16x18 Davis with a cylinder stove and a kitchen out the front. It is a whole different animal. We have had 5 in this one with plenty of room...with 4 it is palatial. Much lighter and easier to set up as well. Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20191018_181812.jpg
    20191018_181812.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 20191016_154430.jpg
    20191016_154430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 20191016_154407.jpg
    20191016_154407.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20181018_140710.jpg
    20181018_140710.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20181018_140732.jpg
    20181018_140732.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20171018_161913.jpg
    20171018_161913.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 39
I have not had any issues with them been using them for a few years now. I still have a standard wall tent but it's easier to set up the bell tent so it is all have used since I have purchased it especially if your alone. I have a white duck tent
I haven’t had any issues with mine and have had it in some pretty good winds, rain and light snow. For solo or 2-3 dudes the bell tent is pretty ideal just for ease of set up and travel weight/bulk. I compromised with a 13’ for solo trips and still able to fit my wife, kiddo and two dogs.

If it’s always going to be at least two or three adults and week long trips a true wall tent seems more comfortable in my mind.

I like making egg McMuffins on the wood stove. But mainly use premade frozen vacuum sealed meals and just reheat in a pot of hot water. I’m almost always solo on my hunts though.

I've posted a number of pictures of our Moose camp setup. Tent is 10' x 12' Alaska Tent & Tarp. Very comfy, with stove, for two. I like dirt floor.
View attachment camp.JPG
Since the big covid disruption, I've had more people in camp, where we are free not to watch the "NEWS". Bought bunk bed cot. Can fit 3 cots in the back. Have had 6 people, with kids doubled up. I'm now 24' x 10. Second half being covered front porch. Heated sleep area, covered cook & storage. It works
Camp AK.jpg
I use canvas tarp to cover everything. It doesn't flap noisily all night.
Strap that baby tight to the ground!

@Adamhuntingstuff we made a similar move a few years ago. Cabelas Big Horn III tent. Sleeps 3 easy with wood stove, could squeeze in a 4th, setup in 15-20 minutes solo. Weighs 80lbs and the whole thing fits in large Rubbermaid tote, doesnt take up too much space in truck. I've used it solo and it's indeed palatial then. 😁

Not available online but can sometimes find them in store in Cabelas, or used, otherwise you'd have to get Alaknak.

I do wish we had the vestibule for it.

20201106_073231.jpg

20201106_081310.jpg

For meals we just prepare everything in advance, vac seal, and freeze it. At camp toss sealed bags in large pot of boiling water and eat straight out of the bag, no dishes to clean up.

Got tent, stove, Rubbermaid bin, all of it for under $400 at estate sale...wish you the same luck in your search!

@Adamhuntingstuff we made a similar move a few years ago. Cabelas Big Horn III tent. Sleeps 3 easy with wood stove, could squeeze in a 4th, setup in 15-20 minutes solo. Weighs 80lbs and the whole thing fits in large Rubbermaid tote, doesnt take up too much space in truck. I've used it solo and it's indeed palatial then. 😁

Not available online but can sometimes find them in store in Cabelas, or used, otherwise you'd have to get Alaknak.

I do wish we had the vestibule for it.

View attachment 281862

View attachment 281863

For meals we just prepare everything in advance, vac seal, and freeze it. At camp toss sealed bags in large pot of boiling water and eat straight out of the bag, no dishes to clean up.

Got tent, stove, Rubbermaid bin, all of it for under $400 at estate sale...wish you the same luck in your search!
Looks like a hell of a setup!

I decided to try the dollar store approach and ordered the ozark trail wall tent. It gets delivered today. Most of the complaints I read about it said the frame was just weak and cheap. I happen to run a fabrication shop so I think I can probably either improve what they send, or fab up a better frame.

Either way, if it shows up and is just garbage I will just return it and go back to the drawing board.

keep an eye on the Davis Wall Tent website, they have sales every now and then or deals. I bought a 14'x15' this spring and it's been great, used it during spring bear season and will be using it this fall for elk.

IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg
12x20 has been treating me well for ~14 years now. Recently one zipper broke but was able to sew on the screen zipper to fix. It does well in wind and is light for the size. Sleeps 4 easily and have had 6 w/ cots and two dogs in it but that’s tight. Get a big stove to heat it and it will get toasty even in - temps. It has big vents over the doors that we made covers for to keep heat in, a must for cold weather. Condensation can be an issue especially if cooking inside, we open all the vents when away during the day to dry out. It takes my wife and I 30-40 minutes to setup, alone it’s over an hour, lots of steaks to pound in. Not sure if the new ones are the same construction, cabelas is not what it used to be in a lot of ways.

Whatever you get, bring a cordless hammer drill and concrete bit if you might be setting up on frozen ground to pre-drill stake holes. Also wire the stove pipe to the stove, had one blow out of the stove in the wind once, luckily pipe was cold or it could have been bad.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back