Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting Alone

Hunting alone is no issue, camping alone gets boring quick.

I much rather hunt alone, but camp with a partner or relative. Coming back to camp, and BSing etc is part of the hunt for me.

Coming back to camp, sitting down for a week by yourself is boring but this year since I drew a good tag, this is exactly what I will be doing.
Bingo. I can hunt and fish all day long by myself, but as the day is over and I'm back at camp, that hyper-focused activity is done and I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs. The two past solo trips where I've bailed early have been with a spartan, but still comfortable camp. I wasn't planning on going west this year, but I unexpectedly drew a good tag, so I'm working on ways to keep my head in the game. I think this year, I'm bringing some entertainment like a book or an iPad with some movies preloaded. I usually like to avoid technology when I'm in the woods, but two hours seems like 50 when I'm sitting back at camp after the sun's gone down. At our deer camp in the Adirondacks, I hunt alone during the day sometimes, but it's great coming back to a warm lively camp where everybody is sharing stories and planning the next day.

Bingo. I can hunt and fish all day long by myself, but as the day is over and I'm back at camp, that hyper-focused activity is done and I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs. The two past solo trips where I've bailed early have been with a spartan, but still comfortable camp. I wasn't planning on going west this year, but I unexpectedly drew a good tag, so I'm working on ways to keep my head in the game. I think this year, I'm bringing some entertainment like a book or an iPad with some movies preloaded. I usually like to avoid technology when I'm in the woods, but two hours seems like 50 when I'm sitting back at camp after the sun's gone down. At our deer camp in the Adirondacks, I hunt alone during the day sometimes, but it's great coming back to a warm lively camp where everybody is sharing stories and planning the next day.

Why do you have so much free time? Just kinda curious, usually when I'm hunting solo I'm hunting from before dawn till it's dark, usually make some food then pass out. I've never really had the kill time solo issue...

(not trying to give you a hard time, this seems like a common thing on this thread and I'm like... huh, who has time to dick around in camp...)

Last edited:
I like to hunt with friends, but often I hunt alone due to scheduling conflicts. I often find it ends up being a battle versus myself more than versus the elk. Most would agree that finding elk can be tough and maintaining a positive attitude and high level of optimism is difficult. Anyone else hunt alone and encounter the same problem. Any pointers?

SJ

I personally have hunted alone other than family on occasion. But elk pretty much alone except some weekends. I like it, I hunt more successfully when I’m by myself. But I’m not truly by myself, I bought pack goats so I never have too depend on someone else to come help me out. Also an inReach helps with the family. The last year I didn’t get to go by myself much. Which was ok!
Matt

Last edited:
Can't beat an afternoon nap on the mountainside. Also get an InReach. Then you can just message people to come help pack out.

I have the weirdest naps in the back country when I'm alone. It must be some type of animal instinct thing. I always jerk awake and look around with the feeling something or someone is looking at me. Almost like a sleep paralysis type feeling.

Why do you have so much free time? Just kinda curious, usually when I'm hunting solo I'm hunting from before dawn till it's dark, usually make some food then pass out. I've never really had the kill time solo issue...

(not trying to give you a hard time, this seems like a common thing on this thread and I'm like... huh, who has time to dick around in camp...)

I'm the same way, I'm usually trying to hurry supper so I can get as much sack time as possible, morning seems to come earlier and earlier.

I have the weirdest naps in the back country when I'm alone. It must be some type of animal instinct thing. I always jerk awake and look around with the feeling something or someone is looking at me. Almost like a sleep paralysis type feeling.

I have a recurring dream that I can't find an up close elk in my scope...it's very frustrating, I hate it.

The first time I went out hunting on my own, I had a 3 mile hike back to my spot and I was about 3/4 of a mile into it in full darkness when I den of coyotes started up howling at each other directly in front of me. I had never heard suck a wild and eerie racket. In my mind they were between me and my spot and I have to admit I slowed down and gave some serious thought to going back to my truck to wait until it was a little less dark. But then as twisted luck would have it, there was an answering chorus of coyotes directly behind me. I figured I was surrounded and so I might as well just keep going forward.

I do hunt alone a lot because I don't have a lot of buddies who hunt. I enjoy the quiet and the peacefulness of being alone, but these are day hunts and not a week of being alone in the wilderness. Regardless, I think the biggest priority is to remember your motivation to be there. You will be much more successful hunting out where the animals are than you will be back at your house. And we all know you'd just go home and wish you were out hunting anyway.

Same here, usually the only down time is if I don't have time to make it to another glassing spot I like and decide to post up for the few hours before prime time. But that's still time spent on the binos, looking for a shiny antler or sun hitting a rump behind a tree. But I'll put on a podcast or music for a bit while doing a deep scan. Socked in on a glassing knob happens now and again too of course.

Same here, usually the only down time is if I don't have time to make it to another glassing spot I like and decide to post up for the few hours before prime time. But that's still time spent on the binos, looking for a shiny antler or sun hitting a rump behind a tree. But I'll put on a podcast or music for a bit while doing a deep scan. Socked in on a glassing knob happens now and again too of course.

That's all fine and dandy until you're out at the end of November in NW Montana and the suns only up from 8:30 am to 4 pm. That's when I struggle with it.

That's all fine and dandy until you're out at the end of November in NW Montana and the suns only up from 8:30 am to 4 pm. That's when I struggle with it.
Good point yes. I live the privileged life of an early rifle season state resident.

As some have already stated, hunting alone I'm fine but alone at camp is boring. I did a week in SE Alaska in November alone and the nights were brutal. Once the sun set there was nothing to do but crawl into my sleeping bag. After sleeping for 8 hours I'd wake up to realize that I got 8 more hours to go until sunrise.
20171105_150040.jpg

Really glad someone started this thread. I've seriously thought I was one of the only ones who dealt with this while being out alone. It helps knowing others fight the same mental game

J

I did a solo backpack elk hunt last year in CO. I definitely dealt with thoughts of what was I doing and could I pull this off. It helped that I seemed to run into someone at least once a day. I figured out that during mid day if climbed up on a more open ridge I could get a phone call out so I would call my wife just to check in and let her know I was alive.

I was a little freaked out when I woke up to branches breaking outside of my tent and something big moving during the night after I shot my elk. Once I heard hooves crashing around I figured I was ok, still had me on edge because of the bear sign around. Ended up being a bull moose that circled my tent grunting for a while I eventually yelled at him trying to get him to go away.

It’s not just when hunting. I’ve done 2-night solo trips before just hiking and an empty camp is just not fun. And it’s not about how much time there is, any amount of time feels like it’s interminable.

The longest I've ever done solo is 5 nights. I'm extremely introverted and it really doesn't bother me. And I guess I really don't struggle with the motivation end of it unless the weather is really bad. I get out for a 4 or 5 night solo hunt pretty much every year, either for elk or mule deer. The thing I find myself struggling with is more just being disconnected from my family during that time. Wondering how my wife and kids are doing and praying everything is alright while I'm out in the mountains.

I actually like hunting alone most of the time. I have one good friend that I hunt with much, but he is wired about the same.

Another tough time is when your hunting partner has to leave a few days earlier than you. After having company around camp it's tough to suddenly be alone.

This is very true for me too. Sometimes, I'd prefer my partner not even come up for a quick weekend hunt as its a mind game when they leave.

Also, to the questions above about hunting all day. When you're archery elk hunting, packed in, alone, the days are longggggggggggggggg. I don't hunt elk all day long. For me, its about 2 hours in the AM another 2 in the PM, and mid day, with the winds the way they are, it makes gettting sub 30 yards very hard. When you're done hunting at 10, and waiting for 6PM, those days getting boring after about day 3.

Hunting alone near town, in a hotel for a week is a different story than packed in, feeling every minute pass you by. The good thing is, as you get older, having the time pass slowly is a good thing!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back