Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Alone

This is very true for me too. Sometimes, I'd prefer my partner not even come up for a quick weekend hunt as its a mind game when they leave.

Also, to the questions above about hunting all day. When you're archery elk hunting, packed in, alone, the days are longggggggggggggggg. I don't hunt elk all day long. For me, its about 2 hours in the AM another 2 in the PM, and mid day, with the winds the way they are, it makes gettting sub 30 yards very hard. When you're done hunting at 10, and waiting for 6PM, those days getting boring after about day 3.

Hunting alone near town, in a hotel for a week is a different story than packed in, feeling every minute pass you by. The good thing is, as you get older, having the time pass slowly is a good thing!

True, it depends on what you're hunting. Last September I was bowhunting elk in AZ alone and basically it's a couple hours in the morning and evening. The rest of the long day was spent napping in a hammock.

20180914_125415.jpg

Used to hunt alone a lot when friends weren't available. Always enjoyed going out with one or two hunting partners, more than the solo gig. (Enjoying their company). Reminds me of the way I learned to hunt when Dad & I used to go out together. Am looking at picking the solo hunting back up this fall. Will do most of the scouting for the upcoming elk hunt myself. Picked up an inreach for the messaging capabilities. Will try & avoid watching movies like Mel Gibson's "Signs" just before heading out solo....

Question for you guys solo hunting elk. How many trips does it take to get one out? Assuming average bull deboned, 160 lb 36 year old dude with average conditioning, etc. Backpack with day hunting supplies only, not packed in.

I always hunt solo unless I'm taking a kid with me. But that's more for fun than success. Feels a little eerie in the dark but my biggest fear is skunks.

Question for you guys solo hunting elk. How many trips does it take to get one out? Assuming average bull deboned, 160 lb 36 year old dude with average conditioning, etc. Backpack with day hunting supplies only, not packed in.

I always hunt solo unless I'm taking a kid with me. But that's more for fun than success. Feels a little eerie in the dark but my biggest fear is skunks.

Depends on the exertion required, time + trail grade + impediments.

I got a bull + camp out in 3 trips in ‘17, 2 miles from truck, up hill... but not heinously so with the first 1/2 mile through a thicket of oak brush then the rest on a trail.

In ‘18 I killed a bull 7-8 miles from the truck... maybe 3 hours of walking. My first load was probably 40lb. Luckily I got help but at that distance I probably would have done it in 4-5 trips. I killed the bull on a hill, then had to pack 1.5 mile down to camp then 2.5 miles up a hill then 3-4 miles down hill to the car. If doing it solo I probably would have spent one day getting everything up to the top of the hill in super light trips so I didnt burn out on day 1 then on day 2 I would have done heavy trips down hill to the car. Personally I can’t do much more than 65-70lbs uphill, if I do I’m going so slow it would have been faster to do two trips... downhill I can probably do 100-120lbs.

Basically it all depends on terrain you might be able to do it in 2 if it’s all down hill but 4 is probably average, assuming no camp.

I have done some hunting solo and the connection I get from being out there alone is amazing. But I do agree with the people that said say fight with themselves about staying positive. Yes I’ve talked myself out of doing stuff I probably would have done if a had someone else there. Thanks for bringing this up, I thought I was just being a wuss. But it’s lonely in camp. I’m planning my biggest solo trip of the year this year, I have a Montana big game combo tag. And I’m going solo. I’m trying to get there for archery elk hunt. But I’m talking myself out of that also and might just come up there for rifle .

I have done some hunting solo and the connection I get from being out there alone is amazing. But I do agree with the people that said say fight with themselves about staying positive. Yes I’ve talked myself out of doing stuff I probably would have done if a had someone else there. Thanks for bringing this up, I thought I was just being a wuss. But it’s lonely in camp. I’m planning my biggest solo trip of the year this year, I have a Montana big game combo tag. And I’m going solo. I’m trying to get there for archery elk hunt. But I’m talking myself out of that also and might just come up there for rifle .
If you have an opportunity to hunt archery elk in Montana, do it. There is nothing like chasing elk in September. Also it provides you the opportunity to learn the area for your rifle hunt if necessary or rule an area out.
I hunt alone often, but there are things I don’t do out there alone anymore. Hiking iced out rocky trails, going down two tracks I think are questionable at best to make it out without getting stuck. That’s where the fun would end for me. I’m older now and the thought of having to dig out on my own (which I’ve done a few times) or injuring myself without a partner to summon help can be attributed to either fear or now knowing better. Yes, my hunting strategy and expectations change when alone but the experience is alway memorable.
I love being out in the mountains and if solo is necessary to make it happen so be it. Plus I like my own company...

If you have an opportunity to hunt archery elk in Montana, do it. There is nothing like chasing elk in September. Also it provides you the opportunity to learn the area for your rifle hunt if necessary or rule an area out.
I hunt alone often, but there are things I don’t do out there alone anymore. Hiking iced out rocky trails, going down two tracks I think are questionable at best to make it out without getting stuck. That’s where the fun would end for me. I’m older now and the thought of having to dig out on my own (which I’ve done a few times) or injuring myself without a partner to summon help can be attributed to either fear or now knowing better. Yes, my hunting strategy and expectations change when alone but the experience is alway memorable.
I love being out in the mountains and if solo is necessary to make it happen so be it. Plus I like my own company...
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes you need to be a little bit more safety conscious. But yes I’m going to try it. I’m about 17 hrs away. And I think I’ll be planning on coming for archery. It’s exiting doing all the E scouting and planning. I have a few spots in mind in region 3 I’ve picked out but now it’s all about committing to a area and going for it. Thanks for the advice.

I hunt alone most of the time. Somewhat by choice and somewhat because I wouldn't go if I waited around to coordinate with the couple of folks I know who hunt. I talk myself out of all kinds of stuff. Funny how justification is easier when you only have yourself to argue with. I too stay away from the sketchier roads and trails. Just because I carry an inReach doesn't mean I want to have to use it! I like the solitude but I like coming back at night to chat with folks. In the end I do what I do so I get to hunt.

Sounds like a lot of folks feel like I do about it. When I do go I’ll have a “in-reach” and I’ll use it as a lifeline for support with my family and hunting partners that aren’t there.

Adding to what I said earlier it’s better to hunt solo.... but after the military I prefer doing stuff by myself or with just my wife and kids! I have 2 hunting partners cause I was too nice at a trailhead a few years back lol
Matt

Does it make a person weird if he I will hide in the bushes to avoid talking to another hunter on the mountain? You know asking for a friend. Ya I think my wife is right I'm am that weird guy.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back