Hunt Talker Hunt 2014

Well we got back in there today and got the bear out. Probably about a six footer. The stalk took about two hours. It is hard to type in all the detail on my phone, but we had to gain a couple hundred feet postholing up a snowfield to get to his level, and then close the distance from about 600m. Randy held up about 400 out and I ended up closing to about 125. He went down hard on the first shot and cartwheeled about 100yds down the hill into some lodge poles. I ran up to see where he ended up and put one more into him to make sure he was anchored. The pic from last night was where he piled up.

The boys are still packing out the other bear from a real nasty hole.

Sane people are in their soft warm beds at 1:22 a.m. Insane people are at their computer after browning a bear roast and putting it in the oven for the next day's lunch.

Sane people look at a bear that's over 1 1/2 miles away at six p.m and you are already three hours away from the truck and say that bear is unreachable. Insane people throw caution into the wind and hike for three more hours to get to the bear before realizing the bear is unreachable. Very lucky people find an even bigger bear three hundred yards away fifteen minutes before dark. Unlucky people watch the bear go behind a tree and over the ridge just as the shooter is taking the slack out of the trigger. Very determined people chase after said bear, catch up to it and kill it with minutes of daylight to spare.
Dave Crisp was the shooter and I was the idiot egging him on. We got back to the trailhead at 2 a.m., back to camp @ 3:a.m. Dustin, and Travis joined us for the pack out today. It only took us 9 hours to get the bear back to the truck. Everyone in bear camp is now forbidden to go back to that spot. :)
I told Dave he would hate me on the way out because of the terrain. This big brown took his mind off the pain.

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 182.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 182.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Montana Spring 2014 207.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 207.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 443
While everyone else is at camp quaffing cold ones and telling tales. I stopped by for a shower and to prepare this bear roast for tomorrow's lunch. I'll be needing a couple strong cups of coffee in the morning!

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 224.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 224.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 509
  • Montana Spring 2014 226.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 226.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 501
  • Montana Spring 2014 222.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 222.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 555
One heck of a good looking Bear. Glad you guys are having fun.

Bummed I couldn't make it.

Oh, this was a REAL hunting trip?!

That's kinda what I'm thinking! I thought it would be like one of my "hunting trips" where not much hunting was intended.
You guys are doing it right! I'm enjoying reading as you go on this thread! Keep stacking them and have fun!

Wow, what an adventure. Thanks Gerald for the pictures and the story. Some hunting stories have to grow over the years to reach epic proportions. This one is already there and it is only 24 hours old. Well done ya'll, and wish I was there to try Saturday lunch.

You guys are killing it…….literally. All of us that can only read these adventures are very jealous but hope the best for everyone. Stay at it boys and keep the pics and stories coming. It's great fun following along.

Gerald Martin: Steve Rinella would sort of hate you if you didn't keep the bear fat for future use. I have seen him use it instead of shortening in all sorts of baking.

Congratulations on the Bears. Very Cool.

A bunch of guys from a hunting forum from all over the country getting together in Montana is what the Internet is for. It's fun to follow.

Back