How was your season, by the numbers?

0 elk
0 deer
1 bear, that I didn't shoot, gut, skin, or process.
2 fox
1 bobcat

Man looking at that list maybe I should start gathering. I suck at hunting haha

Oh and the story about the bear. O bought a a bear tag along with my elk tag, but didn't hunt 2nd season bear because I prefer to focus on elk. This year in Colorado the bear tag carried over into the remaining seasons. So I went out a few times but saw no bear in the normal places. So I called Fish and Game and they said most were already hibernating which made sense, but the gentleman asked for my name and number in case he heard anything. About a hour later I got a call from a game warden who had just put a bear down and he said I could put my tag on it if I wanted to. I said of course, because it was my only chance at meat for the year. It was awesome.
That is a pretty one. Hopefully you mounted it as a rug. Would definitely be worth the taxidermy bill if you decided to sell it.

3 Tagged Antelope
3 Bottles of Bourbon drank on said antelope hunt
0 Tagged Deer
1 Lost grunt tube in the BWCA
1 Slip, fall and tumble across mossy rocks
1 Surprised and angry moose
5 Puddle ducks
9 Diver ducks
1 Very unlucky woodcock

6 - Tags unfilled
385 - yard shot on my biggest pronghorn
100+ miles hiked in September
2.5 - mile pack out for my antelope with 65lbs
.5 - mile pack out for my dad's elk
40 - days where I spent at least some time hunting
2 - people I helped get their first elk
1- fox trapped
3 - number of times I drew back on a bull
1 - missed bull
7 - Great days spent at elk camp with family

Attachments

• IMG_6630.jpg
    IMG_6630.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6797.jpg
    IMG_6797.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
1 successful tag drawn out of 72 applications for my son and I.

120+ rounds fired from his new 7mm-08 getting ready for his first elk hunt.

1 - my son's first elk.

1 - my son's 5th whitetail buck, shot at 191 yards.

7 - our first successful crane hunts. 1 for me on one hunt and 3 for each of us on another hunt.

100+ - Dove shot this year. My son got his first ever limit this year and ended up repeating that and coming close a few more times.

1 - my son's first wild pig shot this year.

Several firsts for my son this year. First elk, first crane, first pig, first limit on dove, I'm sure there are more but it was a good year for him.

I believe 2020 was my first year not to shoot a big game animal since 2007. I shot a pig last week but it was in 2021. Was much more enjoyable watching my son accomplish several of his firsts than me shooting something though.

100,000s - a rough estimate of the amount of standing dead lodgepole that the wind event of June 13th laid down in the Boulder Mountains.

View attachment 170116

40ish - The number of mule deer my father, brother, and myself have taken on a single mountain and its foothills over the last 30 years, and did again this year.

18 - the number of BMA permission slips I had in my wallet at the end of the season.
View attachment 170117

11 - Huns

8 - Blues

3 - Sharptail

2 - Deer
View attachment 170118

1 - Pronghorn

View attachment 170119

0 - The number of Elk I killed and CWD detected in the deer I shot.

View attachment 170120

Can’t complain about anything at all.
Did you sign in to any BMA's that you didn't hunt?

No. Why would one do that?
Sometimes when people are hunting a general area where there happens to be a type 1 BMA they will sign up just in case they see something. This year I watched 4 vehicles sign up at a BMA and every one just drove past the place without getting out to hunt. Makes you wonder how much money the program wastes every year.

Sometimes when people are hunting a general area where there happens to be a type 1 BMA they will sign up just in case they see something. This year I watched 4 vehicles sign up at a BMA and every one just drove past the place without getting out to hunt. Makes you wonder how much money the program wastes every year.
I see.

Hard to tell. I think a lot of BMAs max out on their payment well before the season is over. I shot a lot of birds and a doe on private ground enrolled in the program, and I am grateful for it. It would be interesting if there were mandatory recording or some sort of data collection or when folks were successful on BMAs. I remember years ago when you were successful on a BMA you had to go back to the sign in box and fill out what you shot. I think that had problems having to do with privacy and guys just reading through the book seeing what other people had killed though.

I see.

Hard to tell. I think a lot of BMAs max out on their payment well before the season is over. I shot a lot of birds and a doe on private ground enrolled in the program, and I am grateful for it. It would be interesting if there were mandatory recording or some sort of data collection or when folks were successful on BMAs. I remember years ago when you were successful on a BMA you had to go back to the sign in box and fill out what you shot. I think that had problems having to do with privacy and guys just reading through the book seeing what other people had killed though.
I know a block management coordinator and he said it really gets abused by cow elk hunters in places like 410. He said landowners will complain about people not signing in, and he tells them there’s way more people that sign in and don’t even step foot on their land.

1 years wife and I qualified for WY resident licenses

2 20+ inch trout caught
1 26 inch brown caught
0 walleyes found
13 fly rod trout
1 times I dunked myself fly fishing
152442 flies lost to trees
2 elk packed by wife and I
1 whitetail my wife shot , gutted and dragged alone
3 hours to get in range of my only pronghorn tag filled

1 pheasant that friends dog caught without us firing g a shot. Guess they didn't trust my skills

1 freezer that died
1 freezer that never got delivered
1 freezer given to us by a friend

2 animals donated to needy families

1 grandson born

5 - Number of days I got to bow hunt until Covid ended my deer season.
10 - Number of days I laid in tent quarantined before symptoms subsided enough for me to drive home.
20 - Number of subsequent days with gross chicken pox/shingles type Covid rash.
4 - Number of lottery drawn special deer hunt tags thrown in garbage can.
3 - Number of months until I could breathe normally.

10 - tags filled by my kids and I
1- tag I filled
141 - my 12 year old son's whitetail buck score
2 - the whitetails we had to field dress in the pouring rain
2 - the number of things I injured when I fell after a slip on the ice when pheasant hunting a swamp.
2 - the number of neighbors who welcomed us with open arms to track (and find) a wounded buck.
38 - miles of white knuckled driving on I90 in four wheel drive pulling a trailer in an ice storm
1 - hotel rooms at the end of that white knuckled drive!
1 - absolutely gorgeous wood duck drakes my other 12 year old son shot that couldn't be mounted cuz he hit it too hard
776 combined yardage of one son's 4 big game kills
515 combined yardage of the other sons 4 big game kills
1 - friend's kid I took hunting that had never hunted before
12 - yards I had a bull elk at
8 - minutes he stayed there raking and destroying a bush
34 - yards when I finally shot him
100+ - fun factor of encounter

14-days in Alaska looking at rain while trying to find a bull moose.
1-arrow I sent over the back of a large bull elk.
2-bulls that my dad and best friend killed side by side.
1-broken rear window from sending an ATV through it while the wife slept in the backseat.
40+- days of wolf hunting over the last couple years before I finally connected.
12-wolves in the pack when I finally caught up to them.
07B0A1AB-99E2-490B-AB41-8F04C5C88CEC.jpegC5F3C93D-68A4-4E80-AF20-EA1723923923.jpeg
DC4CA76A-0AE7-4875-BD9A-BCBA64D982BE.jpeg

0—mule deer bucks seen while hunting the East any deer zone in Kansas

1—extremely spooky public land turkey combo ninja/ambush success

—antelope doe taken in Wyoming

—whitetail doe from Kansas sharing freezer space with my
antelope

—loyal companion dog taking his final breath as I held him

2—covid weddings as father of the bride this year.

—outstanding speeches and first dances at said weddings

3—kids/sponsors mentored whitetail hunting for Outdoorsmentors.org

4—times I had antelope stalks ruined by bedded mule deer
flushing the wrong direction

5–number of times a covey of quail or sage grouse exploded under my feet

6–different configurations of living room furniture attempted before returning to the original layout

7–pounds put on the week of Christmas

8–times I ordered something from Cabelas, was given a shipping number and estimated delivery date, only to get a email days later telling me the order was cancelled (out of stock item).

9–nights the whole year that I went to bed when I probably should have

10–calls a day from my extended warranty company wondering if I wished to extend my cars warranty

165 and 275—weights of bullets for above antelope/deer

.308 and 20 gauge respectively of above antelope/deer

975—miles from my home to our Wyoming hunting area

366–days that I counted my blessings and tried to be thankful

Back