Ditching the Dip

Zyn and On undoubtedly massively increased my nicotine dependence compared to dip.

Like, badly. You go from like 4-7 dips a day to having nicotine pouches in 24/7 swapped out on the hour.

I just went cold turkey from On/Zyn for the second time 7 days ago.

For me the worst part of quitting is always sleep.

And I swear that lab made nicotine is doing weird things to our brains. On/Zyn give me the strangest headaches. That’s partially why motivation to quit has been easy

in honor of the alcohol thread.

on august 1st 2022 i quit Zyn and On for the second time.

within a week of my baby being born in september i was on my way to get my bedridden c-section recovering wife a starbucks in the morning and couldn't help myself but pull off at the gas station on the way. right back at it with handful of zyn tins. man the stress and sleep loss of those first few weeks, zyn was a glorious little distraction.

also chewed my way through a whole can of the legit stuff while hunting my winter cow tag in wyoming. that too was glorious.

now, little over 5 months later i'm like 5 days into cold turkey again.

goddamn this shit is hard to stay away from.

@BackofBeyond

how are you holding up? initially said you were done with zyn on jan 1 2022.

Last edited:
Damn I feel sorry for you guys. I quit the 3 pack a day Camel habit 20-25 years ago. I firmly believe that the products your getting now a days has intentionally added chemical addictive ingredients. Hang tough.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

Some of us are trying to help my buddy get a ZYN branded Traeger with their goofy rewards system. I’m ashamed to admit that this latest stash was started around Christmas.

Attachments

• F4B761AD-CDDD-4C4E-ABAB-2B01A64839D4.jpeg
    F4B761AD-CDDD-4C4E-ABAB-2B01A64839D4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

Some of us are trying to help my buddy get a ZYN branded Traeger with their goofy rewards system. I’m ashamed to admit that this latest stash was started around Christmas.

reminding me of how we used to stack our empty cans of chew on the mantle at the house i lived in in denver right after graduating college. i'm desperately trying to find a picture. it was epic, disgusting, and shameful.

we also had a huge stack at our college house in fort collins. equally epic, equally disgusting, equally shameful.

Last edited:

within a week of my baby being born in september i was on my way to get my bedridden c-section recovering wife a starbucks in the morning and couldn't help myself but pull off at the gas station on the way. right back at it with handful of zyn tins. man the stress and sleep loss of those first few weeks, zyn was a glorious little distraction.

also chewed my way through a whole can of the legit stuff while hunting my winter cow tag in wyoming. that too was glorious.

@BackofBeyond

It's funny how it varies from person to person. I can pretty much dip as much as I want and give it up whenever I want. Still have a craving from time to time but nothing that last more than a couple minutes. But alchohol total different story.

It's funny how it varies from person to person. I can pretty much dip as much as I want and give it up whenever I want. Still have a craving from time to time but nothing that last more than a couple minutes. But alchohol total different story.

i've been pondering that reading the alcohol thread. i do consider myself to have a decently addictive personality, but avoiding alcohol is not hard at all overall for me.

nicotine has proven very hard. i've succesfully gone cold turkey twice now and it becomes not too hard relatively quickly. what becomes impossible for me is being around people doing it and/or while doing things that traditionally call for nicotine like fishing, golfing, hunting, landscaping my backyard etc.

@BackofBeyond

I've managed to stay completely off it since 12/27/22. Even remembered to change my life insurance policy last month, which saved us a good $120/month on my policy. Nice little kicker there.

No shame in taking that backstep, new baby's are a kick in the nuts, especially your first. Just stay strong, the longer you get away from it, the easier it is.

i've been pondering that reading the alcohol thread. i do consider myself to have a decently addictive personality, but avoiding alcohol is not hard at all overall for me.

nicotine has proven very hard. i've succesfully gone cold turkey twice now and it becomes not too hard relatively quickly. what becomes impossible for me is being around people doing it and/or while doing things that traditionally call for nicotine like fishing, golfing, hunting, landscaping my backyard etc.
I dumped the Zyn pretty quickly, but did the Nicorette Lozenges for a good 3 months, that really helped. Especially with the times when I'd normally grab the Copenhagen.

I dipped Cope for a few years in my youth, couple pinches/day. Haven't touched it for 40 years and I still often dream of taking a dip, then trying to spit it out. Nicotine is a harder addiction to beat than heroin according to some research. Can't believe it is still in my dreams.

dream of taking a dip, then trying to spit it out.

that's interesting. i've on many occasions had the same dream where i have a very large mouthful of tobacco that i can't get out of my lip. i continually dig in with my fingers and pull some out but it doesn't change anything. it's a dream i've had dozens of times and except for those occasional hunting trips i haven't chewed real tobacco in like 4 years.

what becomes impossible for me is being around people doing it and/or while doing things that traditionally call for nicotine l
Same for the alchohol, only time I really crave tobacco is on a nice day like 60 to 80 out on an open cab machine at work. I've never really chewed when I'm indoors. There's nothing finer than that fresh air blowing and a lip full and i mean full of Copenhagen lol.

I've dipped or smoked or both for over 30 years. I've tried quitting multiple times - the patches always fell off from sweat, Chantix put me in a really dark place mentally, and cold turkey just got me no where fast. I'd resigned myself to being a life long dipper - consequences be damned. The pain of dipping wasn't more than the pain of quitting, so the mental math just didn't work out for me and my motivation.

Now I've got a 2.5 y/o mini-me running around reflecting many of the good parts of me, but also many of my bad habits. I've found because of him I talk softer to the dog, I help out much more around the house, I bring flowers home for mommy much more than just on our anniversary. So last week when he pantomimed pulling a can out of his back pocket, opening it, putting something in his mouth, and putting the can back I knew it was time to make another big change.

A buddy of mine recently got himself free using these Zyn packets. It's a nicotine replacement, but tobacco free. It worked for Rich, and he spoke highly of them, so I'm giving them a go. Been three days since my last dip, and so far so good. My buddy did the Zyn over 5 months - 3 months with the more potent 6 mg, then another 2 months on the less potent 3 mg. That's my plan too. Come January 1, I'll be off the Zyn as well.

How about y'all? Any other ex-dipper/ex-smokers out there? How'd you quit? What worked, what didn't?
Ex smoker. Met my current wife, she was/is a runner, felt so guilty smoking around her. Tried the gum, patches...
Finally tried plastic straws (toothpicks first), like stir sticks, and thats what worked. Still find them here and there laying around.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back