Ditching the Dip

I quit dipping about 12 years ago, I’ve had 2 pinches of dip since then and they were both nasty. When I quit I was at a can day and was dipping for 10 years when I got started when I was 14 years old.

Started smoking at 15 and cold turkey @40. 2 years later started back with cigars then went to chew around 55 went to dip at 61 or 2 wet to camal pouches, Low nicotine. At 69 I still keep thinking I need to quit.
I did quit 3 years ago for a year. Mom passed and dad passed 2 months later. I started back up the day dad passed.

Last edited:
All done with chew 4 years and counting, nasty habit to quit.
Your son is the kind of reason you need.
The good enough reason is how you quit.
Tossed 6 perfectly good cans in the garbage the day I went cold turkey.

I smoked a bit when I was drunk, might be a correlation there.
I chewed for most of 20 years.
I quit cigs cold when the girl I was seeing said I stunk. Zero issues.
I quit chewing cold when the girl I married (same girl) said it was icky. Zero issues.
I quit drinking cold when she decided that 6 to 12 beers every night was too much. Zero issues.
I love the girl, that made it easier.
I think addiction really comes in 2 parts. In stage 1 there is the daily use, comfort and joy you get from using, I totally had that, in spades.
But then there is the aftermath of quitting. The desire, missing it, what do I do with my hands, emotional and physical discomfort. Luckily, my body does not do stage 2 when I quit.
So, for me, quitting was easy.
You have the right motivation and the desire. You can do it, I believe in you.

Been clean of chew since 2002....when I quit someone bought me a brand new Harley....was worth the trade :)

Smoked from 14 to to 32. Quit in Afghanistan after my daughter was born. Still want it when a good cigar smoke hits my nose.

It just comes down to YOU have to want to quit. Then have the balls to actually quit.

I still use the little ON pouches. I gave up Copenhagen a year and a half or so ago. I need to just pitch these things I’m using as a crutch.

Good on you for giving it up. I wish I’d have never started.
Same. Same exact stupid deal. Time to start figuring out a plan, because these nic pouches aren’t getting me anywhere closer to being done with nicotine.

I quit at least 25-30 years ago. Many reasons. My wife had to quit for her health. My dad quit cold turkey. Cigarettes were starting to get very expensive, I was smoking 3 packs of Camels a day, every day. I just made up my mind and stopped! I went through truck loads of nicotine gum, quit wearing shirts with a pocket and replaced the Bic lighter with a pocket knife. I still go through a pack or 2 of sugar free bubble gum a week.
At that time the hazards of smoking weren't all that publicized, but now knowing what we know I can't understand the younger generations that still smoke or chew cat shit. I'm not against smoking or chewing but if you do either around here you take your butts with you as well as the spent chew. You'll also be gutting the spit.

Man I feel you. I did end up just quitting cold turkey. My throat and lip just couldnt bare it anymore. Cold turkey was horrendous for about a month. Really hope it works out for you!

A sad story I'll try to keep short. An elderly couple at the time, mid 70's had made a life promise to each other to quit smoking and they stuck to it. One day Patty calls me and says "George is dead"! I say what, when, how? Patty says "Now, he's laying on the ground, what do I do?" Keep in mind we're very remote with no emergency services within an hour or so. I blast over to their place and yes, George is gone. It takes forever for people to start coming to assist. During all the commotion someone hands Patty a cigarette and I said to her that you made a promise to George. Her reply as we are literally standing over his body " George is dead, he won't care". To me it was very sad to see she had zero will power. She died of lung cancer several years later.
If you want to quit, do it. Tell yourself you can do it and don't lie to yourself.

Same. Same exact stupid deal. Time to start figuring out a plan, because these nic pouches aren’t getting me anywhere closer to being done with nicotine.
The nicotine lozenges helped me with that, and keeping myself on a time clock with them.

Pretty sure I started with a two hour time clock for a lozenge, then extended it out every day by 15 minutes.

Zyn and On undoubtedly massively increased my nicotine dependence compared to dip.

Like, badly. You go from like 4-7 dips a day to having nicotine pouches in 24/7 swapped out on the hour.

I just went cold turkey from On/Zyn for the second time 7 days ago.

For me the worst part of quitting is always sleep.

And I swear that lab made nicotine is doing weird things to our brains. On/Zyn give me the strangest headaches. That’s partially why motivation to quit has been easy

I chewed leaf and cope since approx 15 up until 2012. It throws my body's nerves for a wild loop.

I am not a fan of pouches however, I switched to Grinds. Basically, coffee pouches that replicate chew pouches. I liked the sense of having that "dip" and while I can complain about no nic, it helped... Maybe due to the caffeine?

I've not chewed or used grinds in a good while. Habit has passed though for any looking for a way out and one that does not create an utterly disgusting flavor of herbal chew, give it a try.

Just crossed 6 months free of smoking for 35 years. Total financial reasons for me, pack and a half a day cost me about 13.00 x 30 = 390 a month. I do feel better, no morning hack, sense of smell and taste increased. I have wild dreams about smoking tho. Patch program with my doc and now chew 3-4 pieces of nicotine gum a day.

I will say the hardest part was learning to do everything all over again without a pinch in.

Seriously.
Standing in a river waving a stick with a camel was the routine. Something about it made the fishing that much more fun. The other day, fishing I thought "man a smoke would be great right now," then I remembered the cost.

And then the dog tried to retrieve the lure and I got snapped back into the rodeo.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back