Ditching the Dip

Congratulations to all of you who have dropped the tobacco habit. I understand it can be a tough go. As a non-tobacco user, I have to tell you, sitting across from, or beside someone spitting nasty chit in a cup or bottle is pretty disgusting ! Again congratulations to each and every one of you !!

Got a text from the Quit-Line this morning. Happy 1 year tobacco free.

Still get mad cravings, but those are fewer and fewer. Next one will be 1 year with no nicotine right after Christmas.
3 years now for me. 45 years of a can a day. When I could hunt or fish without my truck driving itself into a Rez smoke shop, I realized I could do this.

I never cared much for dips, but liked the occasional Levi Garrett or jaw chew. Would do it while waterfowl hunting or camping.

Smoked cigarettes in high school and had my last one when I was 19. I am still amazed that occasionally I’ll want one and it’s been over 20 years.

Had a contractor buddy who kicked a cocaine addiction and said tobacco was twice as hard and still couldn't get it beat.

Nicotine is a fierce addiction, people who measure such things view it as equal or worse than heroin. I chewed for a handful of years in my 20s and quit. 40 years later I still have dreams of taking a pinch, then being unable to get it all out. My hat is off to @mtmuley and everyone who decides to quit.

View attachment 232954
I started Copengagen in 8th grade. Hey, my Dad and all his buds did it. Then when I was a Junior in High School, I ran out of Cope at work one day. Guy offered me a Marlboro. No crap in my teeth anymore. Smoked cowboy killers until I quit cold turkey with the kid news. 26 years ago.
To this day if I smell a cig early in the morning drinking coffee, it sometimes makes me remember. mtmuley

I started Copengagen in 8th grade. Hey, my Dad and all his buds did it. Then when I was a Junior in High School, I ran out of Cope at work one day. Guy offered me a Marlboro. No crap in my teeth anymore. Smoked cowboy killers until I quit cold turkey with the kid news. 26 years ago.
To this day if I smell a cig early in the morning drinking coffee, it sometimes makes me remember. mtmuley
My mom quit smoking in ‘77 when she got pregnant with my sister. She has told that she thinks about a cig every morning with her first cup of coffee.

Had an aunt pass away last weekend that never quite gave up her smokes, died in her sleep. No doubt smoking related, that’s two of my dad’s 8 siblings that tobacco has taken out.

All the more motivation for me.

My mom quit smoking in ‘77 when she got pregnant with my sister. She has told that she thinks about a cig every morning with her first cup of coffee.

Had an aunt pass away last weekend that never quite gave up her smokes, died in her sleep. No doubt smoking related, that’s two of my dad’s 8 siblings that tobacco has taken out.

All the more motivation for me.
It's amazing the hold nicotine can get on you. Just had a friend I've known for 40 plus years die from cancer related to chewing tobacco. Bad stuff. mtmuley

I chewed off and on, mostly off but plenty on, over quite a few years. I’ll still have the occasional dip a couple times a year. Quitting is different for everyone. I still get cravings occasionally but not often. For me, quitting wasn’t difficult, but staying quit long term when I had friends that chewed was so hard. Eventually I’d always give in after a few months. Being around people that chew in the beginning stages of quitting was for me the most difficult.

Got a text from the Quit-Line this morning. Happy 1 year tobacco free.

Still get mad cravings, but those are fewer and fewer. Next one will be 1 year with no nicotine right after Christmas.
I started in 1969 quit in 2018, Catherine says I still pat my pockets after dinner looking for my can.
Reward yourself for a job well done.

Never once have had a cig even to my lips, can’t even stand the smell of one burning. Had a “nice” stogie at a poker party once 40 years ago and got dizzy as shit and proceeded to loose about half a paycheck. Tried Cope but am too hyper to keep it in one place in my lip and would end up with half a can gone, nothing in my lip, and a serious case of heartburn.

Only thing I did/enjoyed with any consistency was leaf/pouch Redman. Loved to put in a big wad back when I was playing fastpitch. Then dated a gal who couldn’t deal with it and she gave me the “chew or her” ultimatum. When the game was over I flipped a coin heading back to the dugout, the chief lost and the pouch hit the garbage can! Six months later I was over both and have been ever since for the past 30 years!
Shoulda kept that coin for when I met the Ex, probably would be back chewin and have a lot more cash in my pocket 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back