Ditching the Dip

Have never smoked, used to keep a bag of Redman in my bat bag during fast pitch season but stopped completely when I started coaching my kids years ago. Figured it was something they didn’t need to see.

Cold turkey or keep chewing.

I hopped over to a coffee pouch type chew (Grinds) after I stopped. That worked pretty well considering the alternative gnarly herbal crud!
That crap sucks royally and made me want to p/u a can of cope just out of spite! Haha!

Quit in Feb 2012, still want one every once in a while. Each person has to decide when it’s time and enough is enough.

I used to smoke and chew at the same time. one day I decided it was expensive to do a pack and a can a day. I told myself when I was out I was done. the number 0 is more powerful than any other number. I quit cold turkey and didn't lean to nicotine aids as I felt like I was cheating. I did stay out of the bars for a while as to not trigger the urge.

I’ve never had an addiction to tobacco but I do occasionally enjoy Redman on hunting or fishing trips. I happened to see it behind the counter in Red Lodge. The price was over $11 😳 I’ve never seen it over $7.49 here in NC and that’s at the expensive places. I wouldn’t even be able to afford to hunt or fish if I had that kind of habit.

I quit until I start drinking beer so I quit about once a day. Then the next day at about 530 I start again.

Or after a big dinner..... that's a tough one to overcome.
Strange how everybody is different. I'm off work usually from about Christmas until first if April or so. I dont buy a single can during that time. Soon as I get back to work. The minute I fire a machine up I'm putting a dip in and got one in the rest of the day. Never chew after work or on a day off. Wierd.

Cigs in college thanks to a roommate (American Spirits because I was made in the 80s). Quit it 5-6 years later. Cold turkey never worked for me as alcohol or work stress would trigger a relapse. Quit because 1) I got engaged to someone who the smell really bothered, and 2) I made a deal with myself that I’d buy a pack, smoke one, then throw the rest of the pack away. Was living in Chicago with crazy expensive taxes on each pack. Hurt to pitch that much money down the drain.
Find what works for you

I need to take all this advice and I appreciate all your honesty.. on a hunting forum it’s taboo to admit you’re a smoker. I’m still working on it and like the OP, I have tried to use chew as an alternative knowing I’d rather have bad lips than bad lungs. It helps- and somehow easier for me to not think about.. Any gum that resembles Nicorette in that it’s a square hard shelled piece of gum seems to help. But somehow I still can’t get over the first one in the morning, after a meal or sex, and drinking beer doesn’t help. Another bad habit in itself. Good luck to everyone still working on it, and thank you for the encouragement from all that were successful!

Sadly I’ve had to have the “you’ve got a troublesome looking patch on your cheek“ conversation too many times. Biopsy results have run from it is just a thicker layer of soft tissue, all the way out to having to help arrange an appointment with an oncology&micro vascular trained Oral Surgeon to remove dangerous precancerous or cancerous tissue.

Major kudos to those of you who have cut the tobacco use down or completely out. Bank accounts will be fuller, food will be tastier, lung capacity improved, and the threat of gum disease and/or tooth loss reduced.

Last edited:
I started smoking around 13 , growing up back in the 80’s we’d sneak cigs from our parents and smoke as neighborhood kids , I started out of peer pressure to be accepted, by 16 I always had a pack on me , I remember at my high school back in the 80’s we can had an on campus smoking area ! Ha ha ha

in my early to mid 20’s I was playing a lot of basketball and switched to chew , a lot of my friends at that time chewed and I used chew to transition from smoking because I wanted healthier lungs for playing hoops. I chewed Copenhagen or Kodiak , after 2 or 3 years of chewing, which I enjoyed a lot , I woke up one morning and swept my finger inside my lower lip across the spot where I always put my dip and a large piece of my top layer of skin from inside my mouth came out and I looked at it and thought about the future and figured if I didn’t quit, mouth cancer was inevitable . And quit cold turkey and that was around 27 years ago. I always felt lucky that even though tobacco was a part of my life from 13 to 26ish. I was able to walk away from it and I’ve seen A lot of people who couldn’t .

I quit about 8 years ago and chewed nicorette gum for a few years . I think about skoal straight and Copenhagen almost every day still!! Chewed for over 30 years

Nicotine is more addictive than heroine or crystal meth, I have read. Best policy is probably not to get hooked. My 55 yo brother still spits Copenhagen daily and he is an ER physician. Not good. I prefer Maker’s Mark as my occasional vice!

tumblr_mq07q7HkJ61qedb29o1_500.gif

My 55 yo brother still spits Copenhagen daily and he is an ER physician. Not good.
A few people seem to manage. Most, it's a train wreck. Strange.

Marlboro Ranch just sold, FWIW...

@geetar "I’ve never had an addiction to tobacco but I do occasionally enjoy Redman on hunting or fishing trips. I happened to see it behind the counter in Red Lodge. The price was over $11 😳 I’ve never seen it over $7.49 here in NC and that’s at the expensive places. I wouldn’t even be able to afford to hunt or fish if I had that kind of habit."

Canadians buy logs of cope, etc in the states. In Canada is some 25$+ a single can!

I recall, pre the point I stopped, I was in WA and filled the gas tank. Went in to pay and asked for a can "Cope Black" at the time. I believe the counter gent asked for some $15 or so... I was stunned! I'm pretty sure it was WA.

Last edited:
I am a boomerang user. Stop for years and then get a can of Copenhagen or a pouch of Redman chew for a couple years and stop cold Turkey. I started chewing again about a year ago. Just need to completely give it up for good.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back