How to stay steady

I've got several different ones, sometimes I like the Bog Pod shooting sticks, I use the Harris bipods the most though. I wish I could just get the deer to swing by the shooting range, you ever notice how when you use the ol' Caldwell Lead Sled and a nice flat bench you start to think you're shooting pretty good?:D

I prefer shooting sticks. I think they are more versitile and faster. Also, you can leave them in the truck if you want. Bipods are a pain in the rear.

Depends on how far the shot is. Ultimate "steadiness" for me is laying on the ground with a bipod and a rear bag. Seems to work even better than a bench for me.

Avoid coffee, sugar, energy drinks, cigarettes...you know things that make your hands tremble a bit...I always wonder about using bug spray where it is 99% diet (nerve agent). I'm not saying don't use diett but use it sparingly. What I'm getting at is that sometimes you don't get to rely on shooting sticks, or a bipod, and all you have is your hands.

I have a bi-pod I am probably through with. I shoot well free hand but cannot maintain a decent group off the bi-pod. Plus my rifle is weighted wrong with the bi-pod and tends to not like to stay on my shoulder.

I definately prefer to shoot prone with bipod and rear bag, but more often than not the bipods are left in the tent. Sticks are just so versitile and I usually like to 'scabbord' my gun in my pack.
Harris bipods - Stoney point sticks - Stoney point magnun steady sticks

Well, personally I prefer sticks 'cause of weight, comfort, general non-poking of me, but it's always interesting to see what other people think about gear. But being an Eastern deer hunter I don't think it has mattered much 'till now, just hope I get to see a bull with my gun on the sticks, you know, just to see if I can stay "steady".

I use Stoney Point Shooting Sticks, lightweight, quick and easy. I used to use a Harris bi-pod, but it is heavy and cumbersome. I only use it now for killing large quantities of prairie dogs!

I usually have both a bipod, and carry Stoney Point tall tripod. I detach the third leg from the tripod and use as walking sticks with gun in pack holster.

For shooting, my preference, terrain dependant, is:

1) prone with bipod and backpack. Dead steady, allows me to stretch my comfort zone if conditions are good(wind/heart rate).

2) sitting position on sloped hill with tripod front rest.

3) standing with tripod for ~250 yards, only when terrain requires.

4) offhand maybe up to 100 yards standing or at most walking.

No running shots. Occasionally throw over tree limb or throw my pack over rocks.

I rarely hunt where shots are rushed since I moved to Idaho. Shot strictly off hand or kneeling for 22 years in No Calif, never having a shot attempt over 80 yards. Used a model 94 30/30 then. My times have changed for me.

PS At 5' 10" one of the best advantages of my tall sticks are that I can rest them on the toe of my boot and have a very steady rest for my bino's as I still hunt.

Shooting sticks for ease of use and storage when in country where long shots are not probable. On shorter shots in deep timber I will shoot freehand, use a tree limb or rock for support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back