Caribou Gear Tarp

Barrel break in for Weatherby's

Dubz337

Picked up a new 307 Range XP in 7mm Rem Mag, weather looks like it might smarten up enough soon to take it out and put some rounds downrange. Looking at Weatherby's recommended barrel break in, it seems a little extreme. Shoot 3, clean, shoot 3, clean, etc for almost two boxes of ammo. I know some people don't even believe in breaking in a barrel, but I'm wondering for the people who have Weatherby's, did you follow this or not, and do you think it had an effect on accuracy? TIA

Picked up a new 307 Range XP in 7mm Rem Mag, weather looks like it might smarten up enough soon to take it out and put some rounds downrange. Looking at Weatherby's recommended barrel break in, it seems a little extreme. Shoot 3, clean, shoot 3, clean, etc for almost two boxes of ammo. I know some people don't even believe in breaking in a barrel, but I'm wondering for the people who have Weatherby's, did you follow this or not, and do you think it had an effect on accuracy? TIA
Sako had a similar write up for an a7 308 i bought. I ignored it and cleaned it after the first time i shot it and then again once a year.

Yet to shoot a 5 shot group with nosler ammo over an inch. Eldx 178 shoot that as well. Almost anything ive bought has shot well - some cheap reman 150 soft points were worse but not terrible either. 🤷‍♂️

Gale McMillan's opinion is one I share.

Last edited:
I saw a dramatic increase in accuracy on mine during breakin. Especially during that first box. I would say yes it helps. Can't hurt can it?

I’ve had 4 weatherbys in my life. One I didn’t do it that way and the other 3 I did. The 3 that I did are noticeably better accuracy wise. They were also larger cartridges with more recoil so take that into consideration.

It’s kind of a pain in the tail but it’s worth it. Just be sure to let the barrel cool, that’s probably the most important thing.

I broke in 6.5-300 by the following:

Shot 2 round groups letting cool and light cleaning in between. did it 3 times

Shot 3 round groups 4 times cleaning and cooling in between. Called it good. been dead on ever since. I zeroed mine in at 300 yards

the 6.5-300 is a fire breathing dragon so it heats up really fast. 7mm wont be that bad but let it cool.

Owned a .257 Wby Mag Accumark with a Krieger bbl that shot factory sub inch...the thing was it didn't like a least bit dirty bore. It wasn't new when I traded for it & have no idea how or if it was broken in.

What bbls are the Sheridan Weatherbys?

dont do it. Its a waste of ammo. I have lots of Weatherby personal rifles and I am a weatherby dealer. Shoot the gun to sight in and clean when necessary like accuracy drops off or you can tell the barrell is foul.

I’ve always felt like complicated barrel break in procedures are a convenient way for companies to get out of honoring their “sub MOA guarantee.”

David Petzal once wrote that the average shooter is more likely to lose accuracy with improper cleaning (damaging crown, overdoing copper removal) than to gain accuracy through a complicated break-in procedure.

The idea that a copper bullet (or even lead) is somehow going to smooth out a steel barrel is a hard idea for me to get behind.

If I was truly concerned with smoothing out a barrel I’d use a few strokes of polishing compound.

I’ve owned two and used a third Weatherby. I broke in one out of curiosity and the other I just shot and cleaned normal. The broke in barrel is certainly no more accurate and may be less accurate. The third is a buddy’s and it has never even been cleaned and it will shoot 1/4 MOA smaller than both of mine on their best days.

I’ve always felt like complicated barrel break in procedures are a convenient way for companies to get out of honoring their “sub MOA guarantee.”

David Petzal once wrote that the average shooter is more likely to lose accuracy with improper cleaning (damaging crown, overdoing copper removal) than to gain accuracy through a complicated break-in procedure.

The idea that a copper bullet (or even lead) is somehow going to smooth out a steel barrel is a hard idea for me to get behind.

If I was truly concerned with smoothing out a barrel I’d use a few strokes of polishing compound.

I’ve owned two and used a third Weatherby. I broke in one out of curiosity and the other I just shot and cleaned normal. The broke in barrel is certainly no more accurate and may be less accurate. The third is a buddy’s and it has never even been cleaned and it will shoot 1/4 MOA smaller than both of mine on their best days.
Very accurate statement. Customer has accuracy issues first thing SOME gum manufacturers will say is you must not have broken in properly. In my experience Weatherby wont do this ever and will honor the gaurantee. Some gun companies do it as a standard operating procedure. We place custom scopes with bdc reticle on our weatherby rifles we sell. We shoot all the guns personally for load development and to obtain velocity and other ballistics. We tested it and I think we get better results not doing a break in. This was further confirmed by a freind who has been in the rifle industry for 30 plus years. He has owned his own rifle companies and worked for other large manufacturers. He did same test and found no difference. New gun owners can DEFINITELY do more damage to a barrel cleaning it obsesively than any benefit. Clean your gun when you start to lose accuracy or its obviously fouled. If I had a really expensive barrel/ gun and the manufacturer made a big deal about break in I might follow it exactly just so they could not use it against me if there is accuracy issues. In my experience this is not neccessary with Weatherby products. Shoot away

I own many weatherby rifles. I’ve followed instructions to a T on my first but nothing since. I notice no difference in accuracy. Even the cheapest vanguard I own still out shoots my browning or Christensen.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back