Need tripod to hold rifle for my son

Let's see, the kid is around 4' tall and probably very young. Might be best if he sat out this year and hunted rabbits with a 22 handgun! Seems everyone is in a hurry to get their kids out and hunting. That kid could tag along with you and another year heal and not have a problem shooting. Bet his enthusiam won't go down a bit, might increase!

The GD and I have been shooting since she was 6 years old.
We started with gophers and a 10/22. Then moved into coyotes and Prairie dogs, with her 17 HMR and 6.5 Grendle. Then when she turned 10 I could "mentor" her and hunt deer, here. Her first 4 bucks, all 4 point mule deer and assorted does. This year she moved into a 7mmX57 AI. This year she got a great 4-point Mule deer and white tail Doe waiting to see if we get any damage hunts. She is still just under 5 foot and 101 pounds. BUT as said her first love is the 17 and 10/22 spot and stocking gophers.

I use a Caldwell (I think) for both myself and the kids. Not a clamp like you mention, but it works fantastic. Not much need to be steady in the back end because it holds right there if you balance it and tighten it down a bit. Slightly heavy and clunky but not all that expensive if I remember correctly. Somebody of that height should be able to stand behind it if fully extended. Good luck!69058246083__4391EF6B-A1AA-40AA-B037-A0F3911E2A0E.jpeg

Let's see, the kid is around 4' tall and probably very young. Might be best if he sat out this year and hunted rabbits with a 22 handgun! Seems everyone is in a hurry to get their kids out and hunting. That kid could tag along with you and another year heal and not have a problem shooting. Bet his enthusiam won't go down a bit, might increase!
give up an elk tag???? I think not

So far he’s shot multiple deer and a turkey. He even trapped a couple fox last year. I open the door for opportunities and he walks through it if he wants to. I actually put in for the tag just he could build some points because it’s only $5. Never thought he’d draw it. But now that’s all he can talk about.

Bog death grip is rock solid but very heavy. Consider a trigger stick with the Two point gun rest. Will
Be fully supported front and rear but not near as heavy (or sturdy) as a death grip. IMG_2435.png

Looks like you've got him set up!

If your current tripod doesn't feel steady enough, or you need it back for your spotting scope, I'd give high praise to the Two Vets "The Ruck"- (https://twovetssportinggoods.com/the-ruck/), which is rated to 30lbs. I've put my 16lb Chassis rifle in it with the center column fully extended so I can shoot standing (6'3), and it holds it well enough, but would be even more solid at 4'. Your clamp you purchased would screw right onto the tripod.

I've got a RRS Arca 30 Head for mine, and it has become my go to for glassing, as it holds any spotter extremely steady, regardless of wind. I've also got the Two Vets No Name V2 for work purposes, and can say that all of their products are top of the line. Maybe overkill for what you're looking to accomplish, especially with a relative short term injury. However, I know a coworker of mine who has gone all in on a good tripod and arca compatible head combo to allow their physically disabled kid to make ethical shots with the use of only one arm, and I think most folks would be surprised just how steady you can get off of a solid tripod/head in various positions.

Looks like you've got him set up!

If your current tripod doesn't feel steady enough, or you need it back for your spotting scope, I'd give high praise to the Two Vets "The Ruck"- (https://twovetssportinggoods.com/the-ruck/), which is rated to 30lbs. I've put my 16lb Chassis rifle in it with the center column fully extended so I can shoot standing (6'3), and it holds it well enough, but would be even more solid at 4'. Your clamp you purchased would screw right onto the tripod.

I've got a RRS Arca 30 Head for mine, and it has become my go to for glassing, as it holds any spotter extremely steady, regardless of wind. I've also got the Two Vets No Name V2 for work purposes, and can say that all of their products are top of the line. Maybe overkill for what you're looking to accomplish, especially with a relative short term injury. However, I know a coworker of mine who has gone all in on a good tripod and arca compatible head combo to allow their physically disabled kid to make ethical shots with the use of only one arm, and I think most folks would be surprised just how steady you can get off of a solid tripod/head in various positions.
That shockingly light for what it is.

That’s what I run as well. Very well built and solid.
You don’t mind the 8.5lb carry weight? That’s what turned me off. I picked up the carbon version in miles city Mt and it was great but they wanted $450 for it. I almost threw it and ran when I looked at the price. It’s waaay cheaper online tho.

You don’t mind the 8.5lb carry weight? That’s what turned me off. I picked up the carbon version in miles city Mt and it was great but they wanted $450 for it. I almost threw it and ran when I looked at the price. It’s waaay cheaper online tho.
If I’m using it I have a kid in tow and a double bull blind. Plus we don’t venture more than a 1 mile from the truck. There is a road or trail every 2 square mile here.

It is not a spot and stalk kind of tripod.

If I’m using it I have a kid in tow and a double bull blind. Plus we don’t venture more than a 1 mile from the truck. There is a road or trail every 2 square mile here.

It is not a spot and stalk kind of tripod.
Same. Rarely am I more than a mile with this tripod. We chased gophers and prairie dogs with it mostly. The rifle that is usually going with me on those types of hunts is 18lbs so it's a pain.

I think I'd go with a much lighter setup for something farther.

Not sure why you need a tripod. I had to take my son out this year after he broke his arm playing football. Harris bipod on my 6.5 CM worked very well. Dropped a nice antelope at 250 yds with one shot shooting one-armed. I brought a bog pod with me, but since I was having to carry the rifle too, it seemed more straightforward to have something already attached to it. YMMV

The Death Grip is awesome, and there is a guy on Rokslide that makes a kit to convert it from clamp to Arca, but allows you to attach the original clamp to Arca if you still need to use it that way. I have the aluminum version, its heavy but really works great.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back