Yeti GOBOX Collection

Need tripod to hold rifle for my son

MITCHMO

Anyone have any favorite tripods with a clamp type mount for a rifle? My son has an elk tag for Michigan here in December and a few weeks ago he broke his arm. He can usually use a simple rest but now I think he needs some extra help. His healing isn’t going as fast as I hoped. I was looking at Bog pods, Night Goggles, or just an adapter that I can put on my spotter tripod. I’m not sure the tripod I have is tall enough to stand though. He’s just a little over 4’ tall and we will probably be doing a lot of walking. I plan on having him use a small Remington 700 in 7mm-08.

Any favorites?
IMG_9247.jpeg

I agree that combo rail from salmon river solutions is great and you can put that on any stock. You have a pic or arca mount up front. Mount that right into a tripod and with a little practice you are good to go. I have tried several tripods and I think the I will give the new one from a Vortex a try next year. I played with it a little and it is very stable, and intended for a direct arca attachment however.

We like the trigger stick over others because of how easy and quick it is to adjust height and position. You can put a clamp up top, but I've never got around to it.

Perhaps not helpful, but just bought a tripod at goodwill for $7. They had like 5 on the shelf. There are lots of hunting specific adapters/clamps you could add on. But before you unnecessarily drop 150 bucks you might want to swing by a thrift shop and see what they got.

Perhaps not helpful, but just bought a tripod at goodwill for $7. They had like 5 on the shelf. There are lots of hunting specific adapters/clamps you could add on. But before you unnecessarily drop 150 bucks you might want to swing by a thrift shop and see what they got.
Not a bad idea. I kinda like trying an adapter.

I bought a Leupold rifle saddle for my Leopold tripod I bought with a spotting scope on Rokslide. Thinking I should sell the spotting scope but love the tripod. Works well for short hikes/sitting in a blind. Haven't shot anything with it yet, give it a week or two.

PXL_20231014_195255406.jpg

This rifle has the pic rail so was thinking about adapter that @BackofBeyond has or similar. Adjusts to standing height, wish I had it setup for cow elk hunt last Dec with tall sagebrush since I couldn't get a shot off.

PXL_20231001_211200635.jpg

I use a Triclawps. I have used a pic rail adapter up front but it balances so much better with a rail or saddle midship.

Backpack as a “rear bag” and you can be rock solid.

I bought a Leupold rifle saddle for my Leopold tripod I bought with a spotting scope on Rokslide. Thinking I should sell the spotting scope but love the tripod. Works well for short hikes/sitting in a blind. Haven't shot anything with it yet, give it a week or two.

View attachment 300919

This rifle has the pic rail so was thinking about adapter that @BackofBeyond has or similar. Adjusts to standing height, wish I had it setup for cow elk hunt last Dec with tall sagebrush since I couldn't get a shot off.

View attachment 300920
Do you actually walk around with all 9” of can on there? That thing just looks extra looooooooong (-she)

My bog pod death grip it extends far enough out I would have no issues shooting standing and I’m 6’1”

I use a Triclawps. I have used a pic rail adapter up front but it balances so much better with a rail or saddle midship.

Backpack as a “rear bag” and you can be rock solid.
What tripod are you using and how heavy a gun? Been looking at them for a while; currently have a slik634 and would like to not need to buy another tripod. Would probably be very occasional use

Sorry.
In my mind standing with any kind of Bi. Tripod is a very iffy way to shoot.
My little granddaughter has used shooting sticks and sitting down. When she started (age 10) she was well under 4 feet tall and under 80 pounds.
She is 14 now and still uses sticks and sitting.

What tripod are you using and how heavy a gun? Been looking at them for a while; currently have a slik634 and would like to not need to buy another tripod. Would probably be very occasional use
Gitzo mountaineer series 0, and my primary rifle is just under 9 lbs. The tripod is adequately solid, but I wouldn’t want it any lighter.

I use a triclawps with a VA-5 head and a slik 634. Typically from the seated position or lower. It has worked well for me up to 30-06 (Win ‘70 with a Swaro z-5 so medium weight gun)but it probably wouldn’t be ideal from full standing. It has been fantastic for my son.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back