• Tags, gas, NR permits in/out state $500-$1500

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Tags, gas, flights, out of state hunts $1500-$3000

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • You waste your retirment money on hunting... $3000+

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
If you work on the spousal matching fund accrual basis it can get expensive.:p

I'd be happy as a pig in chit if I could get an agreement like that!! If I did have that agreement, after this last year, I'd be booking either a Marco Polo hunt and/or a BC safari... :(

With myself, wife and 2 sons just buying licenses and gear for our local hunting here is a lot. Add on this coming falls hunt for my wife and I in WY which will be an outfitted hunt because that is what she has always wanted to do this year will be over 10k

I believe my limited treks with gas as the main drain of the funds, I spent around $400-600. All in state and within a few hours. No 'lope hunts this year and limited on the deer hunts...
Oops - didn't include processing. Don't have the time myself - add another 250. (1 deer / 1 elk).

So I'm pondering my hunts for this coming fall and have started to add up the real $ costs of my trips. Just wondering what you guys would be willing to spend on a hunt. At some point there has to be a tipping point that its just too expensive. If its a priority I would assume most would be willing to spend a fairly substancial portion of your income each year.

I'm affraid to know exactly what I spend a year on hunting, but its a lot...

Very good poll-
Every year it seems we need something *new* in order to Git-R-Done even if you only have one week per year. Bottom line is being out with very good friends/family for planning and sitting around the fire for debriefing (not what you are thinking Moosie) after a morning hunt and planning on evening hunts which may or may not go into the wee morning hours of the next day which seems to happen more often than not.

some questions to the cost of a hunt. Would you own a 4wd if you didn't go hunting? How much $ could you make if you worked instead of going afield ? Put me down for a lot more than I really want to know

My spending has been limited by a bad hip - to be replaced soon - then it is off to ND to ravage the deer herd - well at least chase'm around a little.

I'm lucky that my spouse loves to hunt and fish as much as I do. So the amount I spend is not an issue. I just have to work hard and earn enough every year to make it happen because after all, I have to work to support my hunting and fishing habit. Our rule for vacations is if you can't hunt or fish there, we don't go there.

I'm lucky that my spouse loves to hunt and fish as much as I do. So the amount I spend is not an issue. I just have to work hard and earn enough every year to make it happen because after all, I have to work to support my hunting and fishing habit. Our rule for vacations is if you can't hunt or fish there, we don't go there.

Lucky man! She is a *keeper*. As for me 22 mos until the house is paid and then it is game on, if I last that long! First up, moose!

A scary thing to me is when I think about how much dollars in gear I carry around with me on a hunt sometimes. Decent rifle and scope, rangefinder, binoculars, spotting scope, tripod, camera, backpack, etc., and you can be over that $3,000 mark just in the gear that you are carrying around with you EASY. And I think I'm a pretty good bang for the buck shopper on my gear. Of course I always justify buying gear by saying that most good gear is an asset and it truly is. I could probably sell most of my gear for 80% of what I paid for it pretty easily. Of course I don't ever plan on selling any of it, unless I upgrade of course! ;)

Have had the same group for so long, plus brother and I ended up with dad's STUFF when he passed last year, generally six guys for a week, $30 a head for food, BYOB. Eat like kings because brother has really gotten the food down to a science. If for whatever reason anything is left, everybody has to take something home. Brother and I are usually at about $200 in gas for the week shuttling the guys to trailheads, etc. Then we go sit our butts on the ridges and glass. Just hunting in state tho. Throw in license, deer, elk, permits and tags on top.

Most years under 1500.00 a man. Most expensive, 3500.00 a guy for 6 in 1998. Paid for all,my customers. Last year otc Colorado 11 guys, I spend 1100.00. Lot of guys spent more. They had it set up funny. The people in the truck they were riding in split the gas for that truck. I ended up in a new chevy duramax diesel. My first ride in one. We towed the heaviest trailer and every time the other trucks needed gas we still had half a tank.
This year 0. Finally retired and no kids want to go.
No moss gathering though. Was in Cancun in Nov,Negril Jamacia in Jan,and just got back from Playa and Cozumel two weeks ago. Heading to Long Beach to see my new grand daughter over easter.

So Far Nothing... can't draw any tags in AZ.... Otherwise I don't budget at all for hunting... If I get A tag I just Go... even if gas/diesel is $5. a gal....you just have to go

Lets see, started out last year in ontario hunting wolves, 1600.00 Then 1 week walleye fishing in ontario about 500.00 next would be Colorado elk/deer 1600.00 and then Michigan deer 200.00 tags and fuel, then Ohio deer 400.00. probably around the 4000.00 mark last year. After you pay 10,000.00 dollars for a boob job for the wife though ya dont get much flack for spending on hunts, it helps to stay abreast of the situation.

My $120 or so for MT tags... then maybe another $800 for ID tags...

Then, I'm sure I"ll be at 1K to maybe $1500 for Gas..... throw in some money for sausage casings, pork and beef fat.... and thats about it... Except for this year I had to dump another K on a taxidermy bill... which is really rare for me. Oh, and a new rifle for my daughter...cheap deal at $500 for rifle and scope...

Maybe another $200 on reloading supplies... hmmm....what else?

$2600 min I guess....oh and the taxi... $3700....

Back