How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
Tractors, trackhoes, side booms, loud music, lots of guns, gas compressors, gas engines, grinders, and hpumps have wrecked my hearing. Have a constant ringing in my left ear. Makes sleeping without a background noise tough. Wish I’d have had someone driving home the importance of hearing protection from the very beginning. Even when we are using the .22 on the trapline my daughter has to wear her muffs.
Same boat. Wish someone would have got on me more as a youngster. My kids don't do shit without plugs now.

There were lots of folks on my public land last weekend making loud noises and spooking the elk so far it was inconvenient for me to hike to them.

I called the warden on them, wrote a nasty “Dear Abby” letter, and went back to my computer to complain about those inconsiderate jerks. How dare they utilize public access differently than I prefer?

No muzzle breaks on my rifles. 😄

Throw brass in my face and you won’t be on your feet very long. I am tired of putting up with other people’s stupid and inconsiderate behavior. Buy your own land and then you can do whatever it is you want to do.
Are you saying that if someone's brass happened to hit you--at a public shooting range--you would physically attack them? Because THEY are stupid and unreasonable? And if they don't shoot in the way that you personally approve of or use a weapon you don't like than they should have to buy their own land to do it? What if some public land hikers told you that if you wanted to hunt animals you should "buy your own land and then you can do whatever it is you want to do?"

If you're a treestand shooter, why not step up to a quality suppressor so you get recoil reduction AND no noise? Is there anyplace they're not legal now?
I think that is the correct answer, and why I’m very much in favor of changing us laws regarding suppressors.

Ear plugs are fine for the most part, but if you hunt with a buddy it makes it a bit harder, even directly behind you they need ear plugs in and shout whispering isn’t great while hunting… further I can normally hear the hit even with ear protection on but I definitely cannot with a brake.

Suppressors are illegal to own for about ~30% of the us population (8 states, but the largest ones) they are also illegal to hunt with in a number of others. Also in states where they are legal it’s a PITA to buy one.

An inch at a hundred yards is a “metric sh!t ton” at further ranges…
That's why I said that we only use the brake for practice and that we sight the rifle in and hunt without the brake. Actually did load selection without the brake as well.

The brake was nice to get him used to the gun but we don't plan on hunting with it.

I have a Shrewd radial brake on my custom 7mm Rem Mag. It definitely takes the bite out of the recoil. It kicks like a .308 or less. I didn't notice the sound in all of the excitement, but I know that it's loud!

blacksheep

I think that is the correct answer, and why I’m very much in favor of changing us laws regarding suppressors.

Ear plugs are fine for the most part, but if you hunt with a buddy it makes it a bit harder, even directly behind you they need ear plugs in and shout whispering isn’t great while hunting… further I can normally hear the hit even with ear protection on but I definitely cannot with a brake.

Suppressors are illegal to own for about ~30% of the us population (8 states, but the largest ones) they are also illegal to hunt with in a number of others. Also in states where they are legal it’s a PITA to buy one.

If we could buy suppressors without the $200 tax stamp and PITA process I'd have one on every hunting rifle. Muzzle brakes don't bother me because I won't shoot an unbraked rifle without hearing protection anyways. But if I could use a suppressor that took the sound down to a safe level and helped me stay on target to boot? I'd trade some length and weight for that.

I am guessing the 60% who dont like, dont need and dont want "brakes" on rifles because they are loud, have never attended a concert to some of the groups posted on the friday music thread ;) ( I was just browsing thru that thread before this one )

To each their own, but for me------ No brakes or suppressors for us . We dont like them and we have none on any of our rifles

Why does everyone thing a suppressor is such ‘PITA’ to buy? You guys must have a real low threshold for BS. A finger print card and a couple pages of paperwork is that big of a deal?

Reactions: JAG
Do you guys/gals shoot at private ranges, or do you set up at a bench next to someone with your brakes? I could give a hoot or less if you hunt with one, but the very reason many of you don't hunt with one is the very reason you are so beloved by your fellow shooters at the range.
I try to give at least one bench between me and another shooter at the range.

Where i shoot matches, the people with muzzle brakes are on a separate relay.

My longtime elk hunt bud has a 300 Wby Mag MK V UltraLite with a brake...a pleasure to shoot but is loud even with muffs.
The only rifle I was ever recoil sensitive to was a MK V FibreMark...hated that thing. In general I don't like the extra barrel length as well.

Never knew I needed one. Or did. 30-06 & 50cal mz hunter. What's recoil?
Been on a deuce for 24 months and was at Lee Michaels concert that you could hear from 5 miles away.

Had a guy fire one off from his 300WM as I was finishing my session and getting gear into my truck to leave the range. Went back to get my bags. Screwed up my hearing for a day.
Guy could have just waited to shoot til I was gone. He knew I had no ear covers on or plugs. Guy is just a dick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back