How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
If the owner of the implement of bystander (byshooter?) torture will not move down the bench several positions from me, I pack up and go home. I consider it the utmost in inconsiderate activity to bring a rifle with a muzzle brake to the range and expect others to put up with it.
šŸ˜‚ Really? ā€œThe utmost of inconsiderate activity.ā€ You sure? Iā€™m really fighting some comments Big Fun may opposeā€¦ oh wellā€¦ Iā€™ll go for comedic over XXX. How would you feel about a mullet drinking a Bud, smoking a joint with nothing but some shiny Oakleys on while their 2 oā€™clock special pumps out Motley Crew over their sweet boom box at the bench next to you?

I do not shoot or hunt with a muzzle break. None of my hunting buddies use one either. My hunting guide for my future elk hunt does not allow them so I left it off the new rifle I bought.

A person next to me with a muzzle break at the public range sucks the joy out of shooting for that day. Not only the noise (even with ear plugs and earmuffs on) but the blast clears anything light off your bench. Just had to deal with a muzzled 308 and 30-06 so far. Hate to have anything heavier being shot next to me. I see the need for muzzle breaks for small shooters, heavy calibers or improving your accuracy. In fact, my next gun purchase may be a Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger (Don't need it, just want it). However I would like to see the public ranges (since the benches are so close) just have a few days of the week available for muzzle break shooters if not just outright banned. One way to solve the problem at the range is to construct sound shields between the benches. Doubt the DNR will do that. Anyway, trying my best to coexist with muzzle breaks.
Good Lord, when did we get so soft? Are muzzle brakes nuclear weapons? If you canā€™t handle shooting by someone when you are wearing adequate hearing protection you should choose 1 of the following; A - turn in your card, B - šŸ„œ up, C - find a new range, or D - All of the Above

I don't know about that, mm. A muzzle brake impacts - negatively - other shooters. I don't know that I have ever heard of someone expressing joy and happiness in their experience of someone shooting a high powered rifle with a brake next to them at the range. I have every right to fire up my chainsaw or gasoline blower at 0700, but have more consideration for my neighbors than that. I believe it is generally incumbent on folks to be neighborly, regardless of who has the right to what.
Absolutely!

I think they should be outlawed on hunting rifles. At the range the other day when someone had one on his 7 mm mag....on the bench next to me! I wear good hearing and eye protection and the shit was flying everywhere...A blast wave on the side of your face absolutely, positively sucks! Hunt with one? No way in hell.

If you are shooting competition sure...everyone is well behind or on the sidelines well away from you.

Hell ya!!! And while we are at it lets outlaw those pesky semi autos. Nobody likes that damn brass flying around. Hell letā€™s make it a law that every must have a suppressor too

Hell ya!!! And while we are at it lets outlaw those pesky semi autos. Nobody likes that damn brass flying around. Hell letā€™s make it a law that every must have a suppressor too
Throw brass in my face and you wonā€™t be on your feet very long. I am tired of putting up with other peopleā€™s stupid and inconsiderate behavior. Buy your own land and then you can do whatever it is you want to do.

Throw brass in my face and you wonā€™t be on your feet very long. I am tired of putting up with other peopleā€™s stupid and inconsiderate behavior. Buy your own land and then you can do whatever it is you want to do.
Dude, arenā€™t you talking about being at a public and/or private club? Are these people on YOUR LAND? Now your level of intense disgust makes sense. Trespass them!

My first time shooting anything larger than a .410 was while I was trying to sight in my first deer rifle at a commercial range where every bench was booked and time slots were narrow. Guy next to me was sighting in his 10 gauge slug gun with 3 1/2 slugs. I could feel the air being sucked from the general vicinity each time he shot. I think about that when some guy is trying for 1/5" groups with his competition grade .22lr while I'm shooting large bores.

I hunt with my 300wsm Christensen Ridgeline with the brake on. I use the wrap around earplugs and keep them around my neck. Keep in mind this is treestand use mostly so I usually have a moment to throw them in. That gun is LOUD. Plus I am already almost deaf in my right ear anyway. I double up with plugs and muffs at the range. I have a radial brake on my 6.5 CTR but I doubt that I will hunt with it.
If you're a treestand shooter, why not step up to a quality suppressor so you get recoil reduction AND no noise? Is there anyplace they're not legal now?

If you're a treestand shooter, why not step up to a quality suppressor so you get recoil reduction AND no noise? Is there anyplace they're not legal now?
Just havenā€™t made the move yet. I intend on it, at least on my ARā€™s and precision range guns. Iā€™m not sure if it is legal here in Tn or not. Iā€™ve never looked into it for hunting.

Dude, arenā€™t you talking about being at a public and/or private club? Are these people on YOUR LAND? Now your level of intense disgust makes sense. Trespass them!
Since you donā€™t know how to read...I was suggesting that the inconsiderate idiots go out and buy their own land. There they can do their own thing instead of bothering the rest of us on a public range with their stupid bullshit.

Good Lord, when did we get so soft? Are muzzle brakes nuclear weapons? If you canā€™t handle shooting by someone when you are wearing adequate hearing protection you should choose 1 of the following; A - turn in your card, B - šŸ„œ up, C - find a new range, or D - All of the Above
Donā€™t forget E. KICK the ASSHOLE OFF OF THE RANGE!

Since you donā€™t know how to read...I was suggesting that the inconsiderate idiots go out and buy their own land. There they can do their own thing instead of bothering the rest of us on a public range with their stupid bullshit.

Youā€™re acting emotional, judgmental, and intolerant. I wonā€™t ask you about your level of education, or what has led you down this twisted road of animosity. I read your eloquently written diatribe, understood it, and was less than impressed. Why do you feel this way? I havenā€™t walked in your shoes.

There is option F. Get the muzzlebreaks banned at public ranges and that could very well happen in this over the top regulatory society we live in. Won't take many complaints to DNR to do this. State public ranges belongs to me just as much as the other guy. Honestly, the lump it or leave it attitude with many things is why sportsmen often lose rights that we had before mainly due to the me only matters actions of some that screws it up for the rest of us. Many examples of this have happened to the sportsmen. Kind of like that in everyday life. However I try to work it out so I can stay on the range and have a reasonable chance to shoot to my ability. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I would be puzzled by anybody who would like it. When you are shooting expensive ammo to get good groups, muzzlebreaks do make it more difficult and especially time consuming to get that done in an enjoyable manner. Anyway, just my opinion.

Note instead of "banned", substitute "restricted". I think that would be the first action of the State if they get a lot of complaints.

Note instead of "banned", substitute "restricted". I think that would be the first action of the State if they get a lot of complaints.
I think coming up with ideas about restricting the use of is more workable than outright banning them. Give those shooters specific times during certain days when muzzle brakes can be used. Another option is considering moving a number of benches a proper distance away and putting up a sound barrier for that part of the range. One thing is certain. The situation is untenable and unacceptable. The range operators should react and implement restrictions for the greater good.

I hunt/shoot with a brake on my .300 Win Mag. It's loud ! At the club range I warn surrounding shooters what is about to happen. I give them time to adjust if need be. I don't care for the guy on the neighboring bench to be dumping 30 rounds from his AR as fast as he can time after time either. But, we need to be a bit tolerant of each other at the range. It's difficult to find a place to shoot any more.

šŸ˜‚ Really? ā€œThe utmost of inconsiderate activity.ā€ You sure? Iā€™m really fighting some comments Big Fun may opposeā€¦ oh wellā€¦ Iā€™ll go for comedic over XXX. How would you feel about a mullet drinking a Bud, smoking a joint with nothing but some shiny Oakleys on while their 2 oā€™clock special pumps out Motley Crew over their sweet boom box at the bench next to you?
Difference - that is plain stupid, and I'd go home. Likely call the cops. But we're talking mb's here, and those that use them should consider the fact that when they are at the range, they effectively take over the shooting positions to their left and right. It's your right, but it don't make it right.

I don't shoot at public ranges, but if this is a serious problem couldn't ranges be modified to mitigate the problem. Even if a section was divided from the rest of the stations by a wall or something. Maybe a panel that was moveable even. It doesn't seem like this is going away.

I shot a 300 RUM this fall with a brake and it was pretty awesome, but I have no desire to hunt with one, or to wear hearing protection while hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back