PEAX Equipment

How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
Have a brake on mine but usually use the suppressor instead of the brake. Much more enjoyable. The overall length of the rifle is not ideal but is a tac driver and being able to watch the bullet impact inside the scope because of the almost non existent recoil is a huge plus. Also the pop of the goodie basket is usually larger than the sound of the shot!

As a stalker in timber, I hunt with my ears as much as my eyes. I can't imagine trying to hunt that way wearing standard ear plugs. Hunting uplands with plugs in my ears would be hopeless. I need to hear where the dogs are and when a bird flies. So I hunt with my 31" barrel A5 Magnum goose gun. Longer barrel helps immensely. She's heavy for sure but that's fine. I swing a heavier gun better ... and it helps keep me on shape.

I won't shoot on the same team with someone using a ported barrel trap gun. Unless shooting double trap (and no one does at our club) ported barrels are pretty much useless. Just batters the guys on stations at either side. Even with plugs covered by muffs it's still brutal.
If you won't shoot on the same team with someone using a ported barrel trap gun you won't go far in registered Trap events. I shot league and registered competition Trap and Skeet for over 30 years. I shot Trap enough that I was classed at the 27 yard line in Handicap, AA in 16 yard singles and A in Doubles. In Skeet I was classed A or AA in all events, and I made the All State Team. Early in my Trap shooting career I had my BT-99 Angle Ported and had my O/U Citori Pro Ported.

In all of my registered Trap and Skeet shooting, from local clubs to the State Champion shoots, just about all of the serious competitors shot ported barrels.

In the years that I was shooting just in Trap Leagues and practice I was shooting at least 5,000 rounds of 12 gauge shells each year. That number doubled to over 10,000 shells per year in all gauges in the years that I was shooting registered Skeet. For all of my shotgun shooting I have only wore foam or molded ear plugs. In all of those years shooting shotgun competitions and just fun shooting Trap or Skeet, I have never been battered or even bothered by the other shooters on my squad that were shooting ported shotguns.

The only gun that I have that I would consider it's report being brutal is my .375 RUM. And it was brutal before I had the brake installed on it. I have shot it at the range with plugs covered with muffs, but most of the time I only use muffs. When hunting with it, both in Africa and on this Alaskan Grizzly hunt I only use these orange plugs that I wear around my neck and put them in my ears just before I shoot. They muffle the report to way below the brutal stage.
DMJb9spl.jpg

I don't shoot competition trap or skeet. Requires too much travel. I'd rather be fishing during the summer. I shoot trap/skeet twice a week and clays once a week April to end of September. About three thousand rounds in a normal year (which is anything but last two years). I shoot trap league when the club has it. From 16 yrd line my average the last year we had league was 22.5. My skeet average is slightly better and I shoot low gun only. Very low actually. Not bad for an old guy who is literally half blind from multiple retina detachment surgeries and laser repairs. My ear channels bend almost 90 degrees which makes it VERY difficult to insert foam plugs properly. Ears are also situated low so wearing muffs against my A5's plastic stock is somewhat deafening as it magnifies the noise of action spring inside the stock when cycling. I wear foam plugs only. Anyway, no one on my team shoots ported barrels thankfully and I either avoid shooting on a non league team with a ported barrel gun in the line or make sure I'm at least two stations away. You can say it's nothing but if I can actually feel the report of the next guy's ported shotgun hitting my body, then that's too much for me. Same with guys who bring stubby door crasher home defense guns to the club. They can shoot those silly things at the skeet range. I'm not standing next to them at trap!

I shoot the same shotgun at the range that I use in the field. It fits me perfectly and that is essential for shooting moving targets, whether using a shotgun or rifle. Would I shoot it better if it was ported? I doubt it. My Magnum A5's long recoil cycling action and heavy weight probably reduces recoil comparable to porting a fixed breech O/U. As long as the shell catcher is working, the guy at the next station is much happier. I like shooting with guys who are happy. Much more important than building my scores up.

I shot both African buffalo with my PH's nonported 375 CZ. Each trip I shot the gun once at the range before hunting. Just enough to make sure it's shooting where it's supposed to. Very important when looking at a pissed off cape buffalo fifty yards away. First buff went down with one shot through the heart at 110 meters. The last one took two shots but not really necessary because the first shot on the run was a double lunger. I never pay any attention to recoil in the field. My mind is focused on the animal. I avoid a lot of bench shooting because it does tend to develop flinch, especially in the magnum calibers. Get it zeroed and go home.20210822_094314.jpg

Last edited:
My sons rifle has a brake that we use on it at the range but we take it off for hunting. Double check zero of course without the brake.
Just curious, why? I’m not knocking it. I just want my rifles to shoot exactly the same. Have you got it on paper without it? I’m curious if it performs exactly the same. I think the barrel harmonics would change.

Just curious, why? I’m not knocking it. I just want my rifles to shoot exactly the same. Have you got it on paper without it? I’m curious if it performs exactly the same. I think the barrel harmonics would change.
I see some utility in this. Get the gun sighted in using the brake attached to minimize recoil and developing a flinch. After zeroed, take the brake off, double check a couple rounds, and adjust accordingly. Then quit. Later in the field his son's focus will be on the animal he's targeting instead of anticipated recoil. The amount of recoil without the brake will no doubt be surprising, maybe even surprising enough to give him a Weatherby eye, but if the animal is down, who cares? Sounds like a good strategy. The reason for removing the brake in the field is obvious. Dad hunts with him and doesn't want his hearing damaged.

Last edited:
6.5 cm Tikka Veil shoots like a damn 22, and makes it so fun to shoot.

300 wm Kampfeld Custom shoots like a 308, and can spot my own shots.

I wear one of those springy plastic u-shaped ear plugs guys, but forget to put them in sometimes…

Can I put a brake on my bull barrel 10/22???

His rifle came with a brake (Christensen Arms Mesa) so it worked well with him practicing and getting some rounds down range to have a brake. I just didn't think hunting with the brake on was worth the risk to have a situation where a quick shot was taken without hearing protection.

I don't remember there being much difference in POI with the brake vs. without it (I don't think it was more than 1" difference) but I've heard some people say that it was quite a bit of a difference on their guns. We actually haven't put the brake back on since the initial rounds of shooting with it.

I do not shoot or hunt with a muzzle break. None of my hunting buddies use one either. My hunting guide for my future elk hunt does not allow them so I left it off the new rifle I bought.

A person next to me with a muzzle break at the public range sucks the joy out of shooting for that day. Not only the noise (even with ear plugs and earmuffs on) but the blast clears anything light off your bench. Just had to deal with a muzzled 308 and 30-06 so far. Hate to have anything heavier being shot next to me. I see the need for muzzle breaks for small shooters, heavy calibers or improving your accuracy. In fact, my next gun purchase may be a Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger (Don't need it, just want it). However I would like to see the public ranges (since the benches are so close) just have a few days of the week available for muzzle break shooters if not just outright banned. One way to solve the problem at the range is to construct sound shields between the benches. Doubt the DNR will do that. Anyway, trying my best to coexist with muzzle breaks.

I do not shoot or hunt with a muzzle break. None of my hunting buddies use one either. My hunting guide for my future elk hunt does not allow them so I left it off the new rifle I bought.

A person next to me with a muzzle break at the public range sucks the joy out of shooting for that day. Not only the noise (even with ear plugs and earmuffs on) but the blast clears anything light off your bench. Just had to deal with a muzzled 308 and 30-06 so far. Hate to have anything heavier being shot next to me. I see the need for muzzle breaks for small shooters, heavy calibers or improving your accuracy. In fact, my next gun purchase may be a Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger (Don't need it, just want it). However I would like to see the public ranges (since the benches are so close) just have a few days of the week available for muzzle break shooters if not just outright banned. One way to solve the problem at the range is to construct sound shields between the benches. Doubt the DNR will do that. Anyway, trying my best to coexist with muzzle breaks.
If the owner of the implement of bystander (byshooter?) torture will not move down the bench several positions from me, I pack up and go home. I consider it the utmost in inconsiderate activity to bring a rifle with a muzzle brake to the range and expect others to put up with it.

His rifle came with a brake (Christensen Arms Mesa) so it worked well with him practicing and getting some rounds down range to have a brake. I just didn't think hunting with the brake on was worth the risk to have a situation where a quick shot was taken without hearing protection.

I don't remember there being much difference in POI with the brake vs. without it (I don't think it was more than 1" difference) but I've heard some people say that it was quite a bit of a difference on their guns. We actually haven't put the brake back on since the initial rounds of shooting with it.
An inch at a hundred yards is a “metric sh!t ton” at further ranges…

If the owner of the implement of bystander (byshooter?) torture will not move down the bench several positions from me, I pack up and go home. I consider it the utmost in inconsiderate activity to bring a rifle with a muzzle brake to the range and expect others to put up with it.
Just as much right to be there as you have. I don't like shooting near guys with brakes, but with a bit if cooperation it can be done. mtmuley

Just as much right to be there as you have. I don't like shooting near guys with brakes, but with a bit if cooperation it can be done. mtmuley
I don't know about that, mm. A muzzle brake impacts - negatively - other shooters. I don't know that I have ever heard of someone expressing joy and happiness in their experience of someone shooting a high powered rifle with a brake next to them at the range. I have every right to fire up my chainsaw or gasoline blower at 0700, but have more consideration for my neighbors than that. I believe it is generally incumbent on folks to be neighborly, regardless of who has the right to what.

I don't know about that, mm. A muzzle brake impacts - negatively - other shooters. I don't know that I have ever heard of someone expressing joy and happiness in their experience of someone shooting a high powered rifle with a brake next to them at the range. I have every right to fire up my chainsaw or gasoline blower at 0700, but have more consideration for my neighbors than that. I believe it is generally incumbent on folks to be neighborly, regardless of who has the right to what.
Have a nice evening. mtmuley

I hunt with my 300wsm Christensen Ridgeline with the brake on. I use the wrap around earplugs and keep them around my neck. Keep in mind this is treestand use mostly so I usually have a moment to throw them in. That gun is LOUD. Plus I am already almost deaf in my right ear anyway. I double up with plugs and muffs at the range. I have a radial brake on my 6.5 CTR but I doubt that I will hunt with it.

I think they should be outlawed on hunting rifles. At the range the other day when someone had one on his 7 mm mag....on the bench next to me! I wear good hearing and eye protection and the shit was flying everywhere...A blast wave on the side of your face absolutely, positively sucks! Hunt with one? No way in hell.

If you are shooting competition sure...everyone is well behind or on the sidelines well away from you.

Back