How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
I hunted with a muzzle brake for the first time when in Africa at the end of August. Borrowed my PH's personal rifle when my own went south after action came loose from bedding. It was a 270 WSM with a "light" trigger. Very sweet to shoot but I didn't care for the added length. Awkward when stalking in heavy cover. I didn't notice that the gun seemed at all unbalanced. If I was the type to spend a lot of time at the range (and I'm definitely not), I would invest in one. I don't shoot enough rounds in the field for a brake to make a difference.
20210824_102357.jpg

I hunted with a muzzle brake for the first time when in Africa at the end of August. Borrowed my PH's personal rifle when my own went south after action came loose from bedding. It was a 270 WSM with a "light" trigger. Very sweet to shoot but I didn't care for the added length. Awkward when stalking in heavy cover. I didn't notice that the gun seemed at all unbalanced. If I was the type to spend a lot of time at the range (and I'm definitely not), I would invest in one.
View attachment 201582
hate to tell you this but thats a suppressor, muzzle breake only weights 50 or so grams and add about 2 inches to barrel

My sons rifle has a brake that we use on it at the range but we take it off for hunting. Double check zero of course without the brake.

hate to tell you this but thats a suppressor, muzzle breake only weights 50 or so grams and add about 2 inches to barrel
Yes, you are correct. Been a long day.. This suppressor also brakes the recoil.

Two years ago I shot at a deer with my brother's BAR 300 Win with BOSS brake on the end. I was prone on the side of a coulee. For three days afterwards it felt like broken glass was floating around inside my head. For his birthday that winter I bought him an aftermarket BOSS sleeve with no brake holes in it. Downside is it's ugly stainless on a beautifully blued gun.

I took mine off for hunting, noise was too large of a safety issue for me.

.300 win mag, tikka veil

Last edited:
I’ll not use one again, after hastily firing a couple shots at a muley buck that popped up in front of me, and I didn’t automatically put the plugs in. Tinnitus is a bitch when you’re only 56….

I hunt and shoot suppressed now. And use electronic ear plugs.

Hunt with a brake on most of my rifles. Nice to be able to spot my own shots. I don't shoot without ear pro in, brake or not. I already have tinnitus in my left ear and don't want it to get worse. I wear electric ear pro when bird or coyote hunting.

I've heard it snowed in Arizona, Texas, and Florida, so i guess it could be anywhere...
:ROFLMAO:

I had a 30-06 with a break. Tamed recoil enough, and the way it recoiled, that i could spot shots through the scope.

I want to put a break on my 7mm Rem Mag for just the same reason.
My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7 rem mag last winter. Broke the barrel in without a brake, then went and had the barrel threaded and a brake put on for 150$. Money well spent!

Yall should be shooting with hearing protection on whether you have a brake or not... I didn't put hearing protection on in 2019 when I shot out of a box stand and I'm still paying for that mistake today. Always always always have hearing protection

I’ll not use one again, after hastily firing a couple shots at a muley buck that popped up in front of me, and I didn’t automatically put the plugs in. Tinnitus is a bitch when you’re only 56….

I hunt and shoot suppressed now. And use electronic ear plugs.
It’s a real bitch when you are only 32

My dad bought a Tikka t3 in 7 rem mag last winter. Broke the barrel in without a brake, then went and had the barrel threaded and a brake put on for 150$. Money well spent!

Yall should be shooting with hearing protection on whether you have a brake or not... I didn't put hearing protection on in 2019 when I shot out of a box stand and I'm still paying for that mistake today. Always always always have hearing protection
Well spoken!
Now just speak louder so i can hear!
:D

in all seriousness, a brake will direct the sound back more towards you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back