How many of you hunt with a muzzle brake?

Do you hunt with a muzzle brake?

• Yes

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No

Votes: 103 54.8%

• Total voters
Thanks to everyone for their input on muzzle brakes. I quite honestly didn’t realize that it was such a controversial issue. I ordered The Terminator T2 today for my Browning BAR 30-06. Last week I shot four flights of trap at the club followed by 60 rounds from my rifle. I had major shoulder surgery on my shooting shoulder last January and this was the first time out shooting the 30-06 since then - and it was OK, but certainly noticeable. The recoil has never bothered me before, but I’m now feeling it.

I’m at the point in my life that I want to enjoy hunting and shooting again, and if that means I need to use a muzzle brake so be it.

I will make it a point to be as courteous to shooters around me as possible. Thank you all for this life lesson.

Perspective is a difficult thing to change especially when it's my own that might need to change.

I read up on Class III versus non-Class III muzzle brakes. Class III requires the paperwork. The paperwork doesn't bother me as much as price until I can see/hear how significant the benefits are. For now, I'm getting muzzle brakes so my younger sons can learn to shoot without a gimp or another gun purchase.

Here are some affordable brakes with a simple sleeve that mitigate sound by re-directing it down-range:

The problem isn’t the tool...it is the people improperly using the tool. In some places in Europe suppressors have became mandatory to reduce blast noise in populated areas. I wouldn’t want suppressors to be mandatory here.

People don’t understand the technology yet they want it. A well fitting stock and properly balanced firearm (along with a quality decelerating pad) will mitigate more recoil than many muzzle breaks. If you think you want to hunt with one, there are muzzle breaks that are designed to reduce some recoil, but direct the blast in a wide cone in front of the shooter. Some models that have the highest recoil reduction also have the highest blast directed AROUND the shooter.

If people aren’t careful with where their muzzle blast goes at a public range then what will happen is that there will be lawsuits. Then the insurance companies will demand restrictions. Range operators and DNRs will be forced to implement those restrictions. If it gets bad enough, then insurance companies will lobby Congress and then everyone who uses muzzlebreaks properly will suffer the ban. If you do anything unsafe at a public range, you will be kicked off the range. It has always been that way and I don’t see where that will change.

The problem isn’t the tool...it is the people improperly using the tool. In some places in Europe suppressors have became mandatory to reduce blast noise in populated areas. I wouldn’t want suppressors to be mandatory here.

People don’t understand the technology yet they want it. A well fitting stock and properly balanced firearm (along with a quality decelerating pad) will mitigate more recoil than many muzzle breaks. If you think you want to hunt with one, there are muzzle breaks that are designed to reduce some recoil, but direct the blast in a wide cone in front of the shooter. Some models that have the highest recoil reduction also have the highest blast directed AROUND the shooter.

If people aren’t careful with where their muzzle blast goes at a public range then what will happen is that there will be lawsuits. Then the insurance companies will demand restrictions. Range operators and DNRs will be forced to implement those restrictions. If it gets bad enough, then insurance companies will lobby Congress and then everyone who uses muzzlebreaks properly will suffer the ban. If you do anything unsafe at a public range, you will be kicked off the range. It has always been that way and I don’t see where that will change.
Sorry pal, you’re wrong. Re-read my last post.

The same assholes who show up at the range with muzzle brakes will drive up in tricked out big trucks with fat boy noisy exhausts. "Look at me! I can make a lot of racket and be an offensive jerk because ... I can." Somewhere along the line it became stylish for outdoors types to look and act like Neanderthals. I credit the Duck Commanders reality show for starting the trend.

The same assholes who show up at the range with muzzle brakes will drive up in tricked out big trucks with fat boy noisy exhausts. "Look at me! I can make a lot of racket and be an offensive jerk because ... I can." Somewhere along the line it became stylish for outdoors types to look and act like Neanderthals. I credit the Duck Commanders reality show for starting the trend.
dumb%20blond.GIF

Why would you assume they wouldn’t use certain modern technologies? We don’t know what they would think, and I won’t act like I know. I may guess Capstick would love to more easily keep his reliable double gun on a charging bull elephant, but I won’t make that inference. He used modern technology where he saw it useful for the time. Did you know he hunted baboons with a MAC-10, and it even sported a suppressor at times?
View attachment 201851
Why do YOU assume that I thought they would be anti-brake? Maybe they'd all love them - I have no idea, just thought that their professional opinions on them would be interesting.

I feel like this has gotten a little off topic - and I don't think anyone choosing to use a brake at a range is automatically an inconsiderate jerk. I choose to shoot in the open, not under the cover, and as far away from other people as I can when I'm at the range. I took it off the first couple of times I went but I see about 30% to 50% of people using them. Older guys and younger guys, big bore bolt actions and SemiAuto Platforms.

I had a mountain rifle built and had a brake put on it on the recommendation of the maker. I don't roll up to the range in a lifted truck - I've got my wife's revived '05 Yukon that the engine blew up and after I got a new job I had to drop an engine in it to have a car to drive to work. I put 2 caribou in the back with that Double Broomed Mountain Rifle Ovis Hunter and I don't have any kind of a lift kit, fancy light bars (which I should get for winter safety in Alaska's long dark winters) or anything.

As far as the Neanderthal Type I don't feel like I've seen that - but what is disappointing is on so many forums and groups now we see people attacking instead of offering guidance, support and correction.

This weekend I saw a query for help from a man who shot a Caribou - it ran down a hill and he couldn't get it back up. Left it overnight after gutting it, and came to town - notified the warden and was told he had 24 hours to get it out. He asked for help of a snow machine and was destroyed for taking unethical shots, for not being prepared, for a lot of things. But nobody offered to help. I couldn't leave work so I offered to help after 5PM when I got off but luckily he had someone else offer to meet him up there with a machine. People attacked without finding out that he shot it on top of a bench and unfortunately, as everyone has done, his shot was a little off and though it was fatal allowed the Caribou to climb down a hill that was not going to allow for dragging back up. Just kind of sad to see all the fighting and finger pointing - especially when we have organizations trying to take away hunting - right now in Alaska there is a proposition to close millions of acres to hunting.
But thats just me. Use a brake or don't. I have one on both of my new rifles now.DBMR Ovis Hunter 280AI.jpgIMG_2173.jpg

Yes everyone that uses a brake does it because they like the fact it makes the rifle louder. Unreal the stupidity in your post. For the record I don’t own a brake. Hate being around a gun with one but Holyshit you can’t be serious

DB26C2AB-0215-46FD-B524-DA2046E57E88.jpeg

Yes everyone that uses a brake does it because they like the fact it makes the rifle louder. Unreal the stupidity in your post. For the record I don’t own a brake. Hate being around a gun with one but Holyshit you can’t be serious
Well, of course I'm not serious. Just a little cranky listening to the young punks tearing up and down the street in their purposely noisy trucks while I'm trying to sleep in my trailer.

Unfortunately, there are people who have guns with brakes for no other reason than to make noise. I knew a couple, both now deceased. Both had custom made rifles that were ported and both guns had no recoil to speak of to start with. One was a .240 Gibbs and the other a similar wildcat. They were plenty noisy!

The original question was about hunting with a brake. I don't see any sense in it. I shot a couple of animals in Africa with suppressor/brake and it was indeed pleasant. Did it make a difference? I don't see how that's possible. First, I never fired that gun before dropping the wildebeest with one shot behind the ear. Then one shot each to take kudu, waterbuck, three impala, and a warthog. So much for "practice, practice, practice" at the range to be effective hunting with a rifle. I was just as effective shooting my buffalo with the much larger and almost as unfamiliar 375 H&H that had no brake/supressor (during two trips to Africa I fired that rifle a total of six times, half of those at the range). So is reducing the recoil important for hunting? Not in my opinion. Concentrate on what's being shot at instead of what it's being shot with. There is little doubt in my mind that brakes have a significant impact on hearing if used for hunting. A lot of minus and not much if any plus.

Last edited:
If you are a veteran and try to get service connected for tinnitus don’t tell them that you shoot with a muzzle brake. They will all laugh at you! They denied me just because I told them that I hunted.

If you are a veteran and try to get service connected for tinnitus don’t tell them that you shoot with a muzzle brake. They will all laugh at you! They denied me just because I told them that I hunted.
Not a veteran myself but have a few friends that are. Sounds like they find any little excuse they can to deny you guys on everything. Damn shame

Not a veteran myself but have a few friends that are. Sounds like they find any little excuse they can to deny you guys on everything. Damn shame

Interesting. My brother in law doesn't know anyone he served with who doesn't get disability. Even a lady who never deployed who gets about 40k a year. Really pisses him off because he figured his shot knees were part of what he signed up for and refused disability.

I asked for hearing aids and they set me up with a test no questions asked. The VA hospital in Minneapolis did my hernia surgery the same week they learned I had a problem ... and in the middle of the pandemic. No complaints about VA care from this vet!

I would go through this research before purchasing a muzzle break. I found it enlightening. Once again some brakes are great at eliminating felt recoil but the blast is directed toward the shooter. We have all had our muffs slip at the range. Personally, I won’t take that chance of losing what hearing I have left. I bought a pair of electronic ear buds that gives you different size cups and foam inserts if you need them. The medium cups fit me well and are tight, comfortable for hunting.

Back